Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Changing generator oil

Just did the first one and it was almost as easy as when I used to change oil on a CJ-7.

Pulled in the driveway just enough so the generator is still over the street which provides plenty of clearance to get to the fill and drain areas. The access panel has two latches on the bottom edge that allow the panel removal when released. The drain plug (9/16") is where depicted in the owner's manual and is slightly recessed in the outer housing.

First I checked the level since I was having issues w/ the generator shutting down but the level was correct. I placed a small plastic container under the drain and removed the plug. After it was drained, I replaced the plug. I used a suction gun to put the oil in which allowed not having to drop the spare. Since the suction gun only held about a pint, it took two goes at it to put the quart in. Used Onan's 15-40W as recommended which was on Amazon for $10.97. And I thought Mobil 1 ESP was expensive. At least it only takes a quart.

Replaced the dipstick/cap after verifying that one quart was correct.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks 73shark. I'm about to tackle my first change as well and so looking for any pointers before I get under there.

Some had suggested it was easier to suck it out with a pump which I happen to have, but then it occurred to me it wouldn't get out any shavings or metal that may have accumulated in the bottom of the pan.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I agree and using the drain plug just seemed so much easier.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Great writeup! Saved for future use. Thank you!
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
On a standard length, it's real easy if you drop the spare, (which is really easy as well), which is right up against the cover. Gave me a chance to clean it and check the air pressure.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
S3d
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Kuwait , Kuwait
How often should the oil be changed?
Is there an hour meter on the generator?
S3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
If you have a 2014 Interstate you should have a complete set of manuals for all the items in it. That would be where I would look for the time frame interval to change the oil. Also where the start-stop button is for the generator there is an hour meter to inform you of the total time the generator has been running.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3d View Post
How often should the oil be changed?
Is there an hour meter on the generator?
I just did the first one at 25 hours. I think subsequent ones are at longer intervals. My book is w/ the RV which is getting fuel filters changed and tires rotated/balanced/rigid valve stems installed.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
In addition to the hours interval, I change the oil in the generator (and in any internal combustion engine) annually regardless of use. The byproducts of combustion work to degrade the oil over time so it should be changed even if it looks clean and has little use on it. At least that is the oil voodoo I believe in.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Hi..new to the forum and brand new to Airstream. Have a (new to me) 2016 Interstate Grand Tour which has the Onan RV QG 2500 LP Generator. I am still learning the books, but have been unable to locate ANY mention or discussion of changing the oil filter in this one...does it not have an oil filter?? This is new to me!

Thanks

Chris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
No oil filter that I could find - surprising to me too.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateChris View Post
Hi..new to the forum and brand new to Airstream. Have a (new to me) 2016 Interstate Grand Tour which has the Onan RV QG 2500 LP Generator. I am still learning the books, but have been unable to locate ANY mention or discussion of changing the oil filter in this one...does it not have an oil filter?? This is new to me!

Thanks

Chris
PIRATECHRIS - I did not & still do not know much about generator engines. But I have had a couple of VW Beetles with the 1200 engines and many lawn mowers & small snow blowers. They came without oil filters, just oil mesh screens. I think the smallest or 'smaller' generators do not come with oil filters, same as the Beetles did. They employ splash lubrication (cheaper) vs. the better/modern full flow pressure lubrication (oil pump = pressure = filter = more expensive). I seen very big gens have oil filters but I do not know where the size cutoff point is. My friend in Cummins regional in FL services stationary emergency gens. All have oil filters & are full flow pressure lubed. There are hybrid types - splash lubricated with oil filters (cheap man's attempt at benefitting filtration without making a true full flow pressure system).

PS - Oh, yes, I too was surprised AI gen has no filter. I just assumed it was big enough & modern enough that it would have one, even if just a scavenging filter and not full flow system
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Correct. No oil filter. It does have an air filter that should be inspected and changed if needed.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
A fill pump makes this oil change much easier. I use this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can use a regular quart and measure the amount of oil going into on the bottle.
Cats52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Correct does not have an oil filter, but does have an air filter, that needs to be changed..
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote