Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
The instructions were included in my kit. Clear instructions on phone test mode as well. (See pics above). Maybe they've improved the packaging. By the way, the packaging, labeling and instructions were outstanding and gave me A LOT of confidence in the product off the get go.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I think the Sat TV coax is 75 Ohm impedance, not the 50 Ohm that the cell boosters require (well, the ones I've seen).

I would check and see which cable is used- you don't want to mismatch the impedance.
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Antenna Size Matter?

I'm ready to take flyfishinRvr's advice to purchase a refurbished weboost 4-GX kit, but wondered if there would be a difference with using the 4" magnetic antenna that came with the kit or a taller 12" one. So I asked we boost's customer service;
"Will your 12" magnetic antenna #311128, do a better job of puling in distant cell signals than the 4" stubby one that comes in your kit?"

They replied; "Thanks for reaching out to us! There is a misconception that they will but there is no difference in gain, the 12" just has slightly better cabling but there will be no noticeable difference."

I'm passing this along to those of you in this thread who might have wondered the same thing!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I think the Sat TV coax is 75 Ohm impedance, not the 50 Ohm that the cell boosters require (well, the ones I've seen).

I would check and see which cable is used- you don't want to mismatch the impedance.
Mark

I just had my Weboost hooked up though the sat connection. My phone went from 111db to 81db. It worked just fine.

To pull a distant signal you need a Yagie antenna and have to point it at the tower using a cell tower app.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
There seems to to a little confusion. The outside plug has 2 connections. One is cable, one is Satellite. The satellite end temmitates under the DVD player. It is not connected to anything. Is is good cable you won't lose any DB.

Actually on the Sport model there is only 1 coax connection outside and it's labeled "cable", so no satellite connection. Basically the cable connection is merged to the same line internally as the HD antenna so you turn off the HD booster when using a cable hookup.

I'll try the cable connection when installing as a test but also will just run the line through the door directly to weboost to see the difference.

Thank you
Jhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Keep us informed on the cable experiment. Will you use omni or directional antenna?
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Keep us informed on the cable experiment. Will you use omni or directional antenna?

Will do.

I ordered the weboost RV kit so it comes with a omnidirectional antenna.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Thought I'd chime in after putting the new booster to a pretty good test. If you don't want to read any further, I'll just summarize by saying it's definitely worth it IMO.

We were in some pretty remote places, and the booster made the difference between no signal and a few bars of 4G, or a few bars of 4G and REALLY slow data connection to 1-2 bars of LTE and a much better data connection. This made my daughter very happy as she was able to stream videos and access all her social media sites pretty much 24/7 throughout the trip.

I will add one caveat: I have AT&T, my daughter has Verizon (long story....). Verizon consistently outperformed AT&T, both boosted and unboosted. I don't know if this was due to her phone being a bit newer than mine (she has the iPhone 7, I have the iPhone 6) or Verizon just having better coverage pretty much everywhere. Based on my previous experience with AT&T, I'd say it's the latter, and I'll be switching to Verizon in a few months. So, be aware that your results may not be equal to mine if you have a different carrier.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Went with the OTR trucker version and can say that with the unit off, we get enough bars for a text while with the unit on, we get sufficient bandwidth to work on Airforums. Installed it on a 25FB as follows. Internal antenna over the LR TV with wire running through the closet and over the shower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9165.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	289247
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #50
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Anyone know if you can simultaneously boost T-Mobile and Verizon simultaneously?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Anyone know if you can simultaneously boost T-Mobile and Verizon simultaneously?

My understanding is that this is the normal behavior of most boosters.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Yes, it does. It boosts all bands and all frequencies used by major US cell carriers:

Band 12/17 700 MHz
Band 13 700 MHz
Band 5 850 MHz
Band 4 1700/2100 MHz
Band 2 1900 MHz

It doesn't care what carrier uses what band/frequency.

With that said, the system will boost some bands/frequencies better than others, but that's more a function of the antenna than the booster. You can see the differences in the specs of the various antennas on the Weboost web site.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Cable rattle on roof!

Have any of you experienced intermittent cable rattle on the roof while driving after installation of the magnetic cell booster antenna ?

If so, how have you solved it? Tape / cable clips/ or ? What brand worked?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
Have any of you experienced intermittent cable rattle on the roof while driving after installation of the magnetic cell booster antenna ?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Mark,

I never noticed a rattle, but I did affix the the cable with a few dabs of hot glue along it's run. It has held up pretty well and should be easy to remove if I need to.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

Thanks in advance!

Mark
I had some cable anchors (the kind that uses zip ties to secure the cable) w/ VHB tape laying around the garage and used those to secure my antenna cable. 3,000 miles and some really nasty weather and not a peep out of anything on the roof. I think it took me a whopping 5 minutes to install, so this method definitely gets a thumbs up from me.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Thanks! I appreciate both of your suggestions.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I just had my Weboost hooked up though the sat connection. My phone went from 111db to 81db. It worked just fine.

To pull a distant signal you need a Yagie antenna and have to point it at the tower using a cell tower app.
Are you referring to the sat connection on the exterior of the Airstream? I'm trying that approach but no dice yet. Where do you connect the booster and inside antenna to? Just the coax port for the television?

Thanks!
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Cell Booster Install

Yes.....The cable comes out under the DVD player. You have to remove 3 screws to access the cable.