Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Fifty watts wont drown everyone out for miles, it doesn't work that way, besides, proper edict is to talk one at a time and to take long conversations to different channels.

Now when you get up around 250 watts... That will tend to dominate for a few miles.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
CB radio for the Interstate

Like I kinda said above, (in so many words) there were few illegal radios out there before the gomm'ent decided that ten watts was too much and all new radios were regulated into worthless 5 watt units that have trouble reaching two hundred yards...

Stupid law incites lawlessness.... (Five watt radios did as much to kill the CB radio craze as the end of the "fad")

And even so, these "converted" radios are capable of having the transmit power turned down with the twist of a knob, although I will admit to transmitting at the full fifty when I would key up. This wasn't often, I wasn't really gabby on a radio.

(Hmmmuh,,, what is the statute of limitations regarding illegal transmission power on a CB radio anyway?

Did I just open myself up to prison time here? I am such an outlaw! )

Old 04-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Fifty watts wont drown everyone out for miles, it doesn't work that way, besides, proper edict is to talk one at a time and to take long conversations to different channels.
Okay, some hyperbole there— inverse square law still applies— but the point is still sort-of valid. Your range would be a bit over three times as far as with a legal CB, if your antenna has adequate line of sight to that distance.

Which means that for two-thirds of your broadcast range, you'll be broadcasting to people you can't receive from. Which means that you'll step on their signals without realizing it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Unless they have a 50 watt transmitter also...

Five watts on the CB band is incredibly anemic.

Three times the distance might be three miles in average conditions. About enough time to mutually say "hello hows it going" with very brief answers to a friend going the other way, but that is about it.

I can not overstate how pitiful 5 watt CB transmitters are....

Old 04-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Actually with a good antenna system 5 watts is more than adequate.

I have used packet ham transmissions of 5 watts to carry on text exchanges with other operators in New Zealand from Durango, Colorado.

Most people have very poor mobile antenna systems with very poor ground planes.

A little work with proper antenna placement, RF Grounding, bonding, and tuning will yield better results than just throwing more power at a poor antenna.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A bit of "BIG RADIO" CB trivia;;

For a long time, a period of several years, there was a regular transmission over the CB radio that could BOLDLY be heard anywhere coast to coast.

Some guy who was rumored to be in Oklahoma had a very powerful transmitter that was programmed through a computer to FREQUENTLY deliver an automated message...

The message was always the same. It was delivered in a male voice with a strong southern accent so frequently that I have it memorized verbatim...

"I have my nightgown on and I have my pretty red panties on, and I am ready to go to sleep... "

Yea it got annoying after a while. No telling how big that amp was, but it was big... Rumor has it that the FCC finally shut him down....

Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Actually with a good antenna system 5 watts is more than adequate.

I have used packet ham transmissions of 5 watts to carry on text exchanges with other operators in New Zealand from Durango, Colorado.

Most people have very poor mobile antenna systems with very poor ground planes.

A little work with proper antenna placement, RF Grounding, bonding, and tuning will yield better results than just throwing more power at a poor antenna.

A person could get skip and transmit a long way on occasion, but skip is not something to rely on for mobile conversations while traveling down the road.

Antennas do matter, and a lot was spent on antennas and tuning an antenna to a radio, but big trucks have two problems. They are long, so due to the antenna ground the radio signal tended to be very directional, and further, many truck cabs are fiberglass so a good ground for an antenna can be problematic.

Antenna placement is confined to areas that are less than ideal due to practical limitations.