Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Rancho Mirage , California
Caution Do Not Launch Boat with Sprinter Interstate

Launched our boat at boat at Lake Powell in September. Went to use the Sprinter and tried to run the generator. It would not crank over so I put it on the lift in my shop and started to troubleshoot what could be wrong. Wound up dropping the generator down and found that the engine appeared to be froze up. Ultimately was able to turn the engine over with a socket on the end of the crank and it began burping water out of the carburetor, then I looked at the air cleaner and found that it was moldy. I was trying to figure out how the heck the generator could have gotten flooded with water and then I remembered our trip to Lake Powell. Bottom line, do not use your Sprinter to launch a boat. Boy do I feel dumb.
mail4sblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4sblair View Post
Launched our boat at boat at Lake Powell in September. Went to use the Sprinter and tried to run the generator. It would not crank over so I put it on the lift in my shop and started to troubleshoot what could be wrong. Wound up dropping the generator down and found that the engine appeared to be froze up. Ultimately was able to turn the engine over with a socket on the end of the crank and it began burping water out of the carburetor, then I looked at the air cleaner and found that it was moldy. I was trying to figure out how the heck the generator could have gotten flooded with water and then I remembered our trip to Lake Powell. Bottom line, do not use your Sprinter to launch a boat. Boy do I feel dumb.
MAIL4SBLAIR - Sorry to hear. And thanks for the tip. Glad you got it to turn over. Hopefully, I assume no long term damage? BTW - if I listed every dumb thing I did since owning my AI, I would be run out of this forum Seriously though, I think everyone has had their 'not so proud moments' . Good thing for me is I can no longer afford a boat after buying the AI. We have 1st world problems, for sure.

BTW - along these lines, ONAN also does not recommend using the gen when driving in rain (and I assume even if parked, if heavy rain and water is under the gen). They are bottom breathers and will suck water in. Did not know that until I read their manual.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I put a huge mud flap in front of mine. I drove it 12 months of the year including Canadian winters and could always use the genny rain snow etc. No problem.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I was able to turn it over by hand, but I'm sure the engine is ruined and rusted, given that it's had water in it for 5 months. The starter would not turn over with direct power to it, and i'm sure the circuitboard is bad. I'm pricing a new replacement now.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I was able to turn it over by hand, but I'm sure the engine is ruined and rusted, given that it's had water in it for 5 months. The starter would not turn over with direct power to it, and i'm sure the circuitboard is bad. I'm pricing a new replacement now.
MAIL4SBLAIR - I am on the road now, so I have limited time to search. But if you do some searching in this forum, you will find many owners of brand new rigs thinking of eliminating their gens altogether. In fact, I am one who is currently thinking of the Volta system if only they can give me a provider in/near my region. Unfortunately, those conversions take forever and definitely too long for your needs. Sorry to hear all is lost
Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Remove..take it apart...maybe new rings and bearings....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
You must of had the a$$ end of your coach in the water to get water in the generator or there is no protection from rain or snow to keep the generator dry.

We looked at a small Class C and when I found out the generator was under the coach I kept on walking, much to hard to service.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
At least you didn't launch the AI along with the boat.......
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had an air-cooled airplane engine to get flooded. All that was done to get it airworthy was to flush the crankcase with fresh oil, cleanup the electronics start and run the engine for a few minutes, change oil and repeat for 30 minutes, and change oil again. Years latter the engine was still good. I would not try to turn over the engine by hand, you might bend a rod or two. Pull the plugs, oil the cylinders, then rotate the crank to be safe.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Engine had water in on top of the piston, in the exhaust and down in the case. Rather than rebuild it and not knowing about the electronics, I've decided to replace it with a new unit. Proof that S**t Happens. If I had discovered it right away I probably could have saved it, but there was quite a bit of corrosion from water sitting in it for 5 months. Just means there won't be as much left for the kids when we're gone.....lol.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Just means there won't be as much left for the kids when we're gone.....lol.

Ha ha. I've told my kids it's a good thing we never know our time of death. Otherwise, their mom and I would spend everything and leave just enough in our accounts on our final day to bury us.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . but there was quite a bit of corrosion from water sitting in it for 5 months.
. . .

Good move to get a new unit!

Thanks for the update.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Ha ha. I've told my kids it's a good thing we never know our time of death. Otherwise, their mom and I would spend everything and leave just enough in our accounts on our final day to bury us.
Some older folks do the following, after first warning their kids:
-- pre-pay funeral etc. expenses [or set up a small fund]
-- cash out most assets incl. house etc.
-- buy annuities from ultra-safe insurance etc. company

. . . and live off the annuities until the magic moment.

. . . . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
MAIL4SBLAIR - contact user CHRISCOW. Looks like he has an unused one he wants to part with.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ninety Six , South Carolina
Omg...thanks for the information....i can see how that could happen without thinking about the generator! Thanks again!
428303 is offline   Reply With Quote