Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Campground site selection

When selecting an RV site at a campground, are there some tips on how to select. Are there any sites to avoid, or are most just thankful to get a spot. FYI, the 2016 AI has The auto high wind retract awning so I probably would not want a windy spot near the ocean if I couldn’t keep the awning out on a hot day. Any thoughts?
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
The quiet site, on the far side of the camp. It's perfectly level, easy to back into, has great water pressure and outstanding internet and cell reception, 50 amp, 30 amp and 120V electrical, room for the tow vehicle, shade trees a dozen feet away or so, cool breeze, the dog park nearby, picnic table and fire pit with a stack of wood, and they plead with me to stay another week. $10 a night. Strolling violin trio on Fridays.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Not near the bathrooms, dumpster or those loud folks who think everyone wants to hear their favorite music.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I am confused... at what camp ground? They are all different... or you are looking for generic recommendations?

We are just realizing that reservations need to be made almost a year ahead (if their sites allowed...some do not let you go beyond x-amount of months for reserving)...

Satellite /google images of the area helps... to see if you are close to the lake/beach/scenic route, etc. I guess it depends on what you want to do when you get there... maybe you want to be as far as possible from the crowd and do not mind walking to the common areas or where the action is...

Or maybe you value more being close to the camp ground showers and restrooms...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Just looking for generics. For example, near entrance, back, middle, of campground. Quiet areas no Constant traffic flow.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
If it’s a CA state park, I always check campsitephotos.com to see if there are similar length trailers parked in a specific spot. You shouldn’t need to worry about that with an AI. My wife actually prefers to be closer to the bathrooms, though I would choose an edge spot if I could.

Choosing a site with a trailer or class B in some ways is so much easier than if you were tenting. I don’t even worry about loud group sites anymore, I just turn up the white noise maker. Sometimes it’s nice to be on the edge, and sometimes it’s nice to meet new folks.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Good luck if you're in coastal Cali, there are so few campgrounds, they get booked within seconds of the 6 month window opening. You gotta find what time they open, have multiple family members all clicking ! i love campsitephotos
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Unless there is only one spot is left, we drive through the camp to check out all the sites. Lots of flexibility with Interstate vs trailers. We like to be away from others. Don't mind being closer to bathroom. Pay attention to how level it is. This is probably the most important thing for comfort as we don't bother with blocks and such.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
Wind! Fond a beautiful site once on a lake. Problem was the wind was blowing right us with cool temps. Moved to the other side of the lake. Quite, peaceful, warm. Of course, if it had been hot we would have loved that breeze. So now - I pay attention to site selection based on wind and weather conditions!
Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We tend to frequent National Parks in the NW where one needs to make a reservation months in advance. We often make reservations in a park that we have never been to so don't have the luxury of walking/driving through ahead of time. As someone else mentioned, pictures are helpful. Last year we made reservations at Hells Gate State Park in Idaho. We worked our schedule around the availability of a river front site. Had we checked the pictures we would have learned that the vegetation along the riverbank totally blocks any view of the river so the riverfront sites are not necessarily all that desirable.

We have also learned to look at the size of the sites and their amenities. As an example, at our favorite campground there are two loops. The lower loop is the most scenic and right on the lake and can accommodate the longer rigs and the parking spots are paved. The upper loop is further from the lake, the sites are not paved and they are shorter. At first blush one might think the the lower loop would be preferable. We learned the hard way that, while the lower loop is great early in the season or after Labor Day, it is to be avoided during high season as it tends to fill up with large MH's that run their AC and generators constantly and folks who like to party all night.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Campsitephotos.com is a big help. I also will use google maps for a birds eye view of the campground. Depending on when the photo was taken and the site specifics, google maps may not show much - if the campground has a lot of trees and the picture was taken in the spring or summer you may not be able to see the ground.

Generalizations are a problem. A year ago when we reserved for Canopener the only site left was the one adjacent to the bathrooms and a path from the loop to the clubhouse. I thought it would be busy and noisy. It turns out there were trees and bushes that adequately screened the site. We actually prefer it over some others in the loop.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
google maps may not show much - if the campground has a lot of trees and the picture was taken in the spring or summer you may not be able to see the ground.
That sounds perfect! I prefer campsites with lots of tree cover!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
- whenever possible check for pics of the site on line or at the website. Reserveamerica is good about showing you what the site will look like.
-also scroll down and read through the description of the site. They often note things like tight angles or leaning trees.

- don't be shy about trying for the best site available. Some reservation sites ask for rhe length of your rig. Since you pay the same price for a site in you 19' AS as a 40' motorhome with 2AC units and a washer dryer, you should be able to get the same size sites. And go for the pull-throughs if you can get them - even if your bambi looks lost in it.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Most important to me is the slope of the site. When I had an Airstream trailer, the problem was usually running out of tongue jack height, either up or down Since the trailer was quite low to the ground, that is not very many degrees. I have returned to the office several times to ask for different sites.

With the AI, the limits are even tighter due to the limited number of leveling blocks I can carry. With the rear duals, it can take 12 blocks just to get a 2" lift.

I'll accept a lot for a good level site.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote