Old 08-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Bypass Fusion GPS nanny filter

(This seems to have failed to post, so I'm repeating)

Has anyone found a way to bypass the Fusion GPS screen nannyfilter, the lock that prevents you from accessing certain GPS functions when the vehicle is in motion. In my opinion essential navigation features are shut out, unreasonably, even if only the passenger is trying to access them.

In a previous car system, there was a magic sequence of taps and swipes that would unlock the functions. Is there something like that for Fusion?

BMW R1200GS
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Has anyone found a way to bypass the Fusion GPS screen nannyfilter, the lock that prevents you from accessing certain GPS functions when the vehicle is in motion.
Not that I'm aware of. I looked for a setting like what I've had in previous vehicles that basically said "bugger off, I'll accept the liability, just let me use the damn thing", but sadly I didn't find anything like that in the Fusion.

Have you considered contacting Fusion tech support? They were actually quite helpful when I had trouble with an update a while back. If nothing else they might be able to confirm my suspicion that nothing like that exists but might take it as a suggestion for a future update. It's only software.....

Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
...Have you considered contacting Fusion tech support?
Thanks. I'll do that.

One of the really essential functions that doesn't work when you are driving is scroll. If you search on nearby RV parks, for example, it will list the first 5 or so. You have to stop and shift to park to scroll down for more. Preposterous.
BMW R1200GS
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

barrie , Ontario
We too are frustrated with the Fusion Info/Entertainment system in our 2017 GT Interstate. We have made several emails/phone calls with David Perales (Fusion support Eng.) about updates and the fact that the vehicle can't be moving when the passenger is looking for information from the system. We now travel with our old portable GPS plugged in so that we have the convenience of getting information we need without stopping and parking. The most recent software update was made easily after contacting David P. He now has a simple "template" available for how to do that update. He is very good about assisting and makes the effort to simplify instructions.

In our most recent contact with David P. over not being able to use the system while driving he stated that he would look into how we might circumvent this problem. Also the nuisance of making sure that the Fusion is truly turned off and not draining the battery is a constant concern.

There are some real positive aspects of the Fusion system but it sure could be made more user friendly. Perhaps if more AS owners contacted David P. improvements and updates could happen.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
Good day, I would be happy to contact the folks at Fusion. I started at the very beginning with the system last weei. I got as far as "How do you turn it on or off? The on is easy. I have yet to figure out how to turn it off. I have experience as a Human Factors Engineer for helicopter cockpits and devices. How do you contact them?

hank
Old 08-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

barrie , Ontario
Hank,
David Perales can be contacted at david.perales@fusionentertainment.com. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjer View Post
..The most recent software update was made easily after contacting David P. He now has a simple "template" available for how to do that update. ...
Please share. I want to do an upgrade also
BMW R1200GS
Old 08-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
https://fusionentertainment.com/life...upport/updates

Follow their instructions and you'll either get the update, or brick your Fusion. I did the latter, pressed a lot of buttons and did many resets, and eventually got to the former. Their update process has to be the worst I've ever seen.....
Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

barrie , Ontario
Fusion update 3.10

Quote:
HERE IS THE EMAIL FROM D PERALES ABOUT UPDATING THE FUSION SYSTEM AFTER NOT BEING SUCCESSFUL TRYING THE UPDATE ON THE FUSION SITE.
IT IS A TWO STEP PROCESS AND IS EXPLAINED IN THE ATTACHMENT.

JERRY FROM CATJER
GOOD LUCK.

Software Update Installation Instructions.pdf

Please proceed to download the software update from our website and follow the attached instructions to complete the software update 3.10 in your unit, you can use the same USB that I sent you before just delete the content as you describe below.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...upport/updates

Updating VIM.
With an empty USB create a folder with the name Garmin and then into the Garmin folder create another folder with the name Update and copy the three files that shows the VIM_Update folder, after you complete the first part of the software repeat the same steps but use the different file as the instructions describe.

Updating System.
Delete the content in the folder with the name Update and copy the file B248800.update, eject the USB from your computer then connect it again on the unit, once all the SW process is done verify the SW version into the system menu.

To access to the Device Info page follow the next steps: Turn On the RV-IN801 unit>>Tap on the Home Icon>> Tap in the Settings Icon>> Tap on the System Icon>> With the finger slide up and select Device Information and compare the SW versions (SW 3.10 & VIM 2.70)

If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
David.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjer View Post
HERE IS THE EMAIL FROM D PERALES ABOUT UPDATING THE FUSION SYSTEM AFTER NOT BEING SUCCESSFUL TRYING THE UPDATE ON THE FUSION SITE.
IT IS A TWO STEP PROCESS AND IS EXPLAINED IN THE ATTACHMENT.

JERRY FROM CATJER
GOOD LUCK.

Attachment 293089

Please proceed to download the software update from our website and follow the attached instructions to complete the software update 3.10 in your unit, you can use the same USB that I sent you before just delete the content as you describe below.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...upport/updates

Updating VIM.
With an empty USB create a folder with the name Garmin and then into the Garmin folder create another folder with the name Update and copy the three files that shows the VIM_Update folder, after you complete the first part of the software repeat the same steps but use the different file as the instructions describe.

Updating System.
Delete the content in the folder with the name Update and copy the file B248800.update, eject the USB from your computer then connect it again on the unit, once all the SW process is done verify the SW version into the system menu.

To access to the Device Info page follow the next steps: Turn On the RV-IN801 unit>>Tap on the Home Icon>> Tap in the Settings Icon>> Tap on the System Icon>> With the finger slide up and select Device Information and compare the SW versions (SW 3.10 & VIM 2.70)

If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
David.
While that's a tad more clear (but wording like "after you complete the first part of the software repeat the same steps but use the different file as the instructions describe" is still a bit head scratching), where all this goes to sh*t is when you go to update the VIM per their instructions and while it's doing its thing, you suddenly get a big ERROR message on the Fusion screen with an image of a dead Android. Now you are well and truly screwed. It won't boot, it won't read the USB stick, it won't do anything other than give a totally blank screen thereafter (yes, this happened to me). The guys at Airstream and Fusion were totally stumped, "never saw that before", and I was on my own. I finally did manage to revive it (through a magic combination of power cycling and reboots), but I'm giving fair warning that if their update process goes awry, you may very well brick your Fusion and good luck getting anyone to recover it. They need to seriously rethink their update process.....
Old 09-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I did the update today, per https://fusionentertainment.com/life...upport/updates

It apparently went smoothly, and now the system reports software level 3.1 and maps 2016.something. I'll have to drive the van a bit to be sure it is all working.
BMW R1200GS
Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Update on nanny filter

I emailed Mr. Perales regarding restrictions on GPS functions while the van is in motion. Here is his reply. I'm not optimistic this will pass the Airstream lawyers.
I did forward your email to the National Service Manager- Touring Coach Division at AIRSTREAM to get reviewed, unfortunate Airstream has some safety concerns about that feature in order make some changes in the software of the unit Airstream needs to evaluate that option and authorized Fusion to follow that change.

Please allow me a couple weeks to get back to you, at soonest I get some news from Airstream I will let you know.

Best Regards,

David Perales
Sr. Field Service Engineer USA.
BMW R1200GS
Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I emailed Mr. Perales regarding restrictions on GPS functions while the van is in motion. Here is his reply. I'm not optimistic this will pass the Airstream lawyers.
I did forward your email to the National Service Manager- Touring Coach Division at AIRSTREAM to get reviewed, unfortunate Airstream has some safety concerns about that feature in order make some changes in the software of the unit Airstream needs to evaluate that option and authorized Fusion to follow that change.

Please allow me a couple weeks to get back to you, at soonest I get some news from Airstream I will let you know.

Best Regards,

David Perales
Sr. Field Service Engineer USA.
We just need "the fix" to be loaded into some dark website for owners to use at their own discretion The liability/risk will make it impossible for Airstream to supply it... imho of course...
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
The "RV Advocate"

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Miramar Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
While that's a tad more clear (but wording like "after you complete the first part of the software repeat the same steps but use the different file as the instructions describe" is still a bit head scratching), where all this goes to sh*t is when you go to update the VIM per their instructions and while it's doing its thing, you suddenly get a big ERROR message on the Fusion screen with an image of a dead Android. Now you are well and truly screwed. It won't boot, it won't read the USB stick, it won't do anything other than give a totally blank screen thereafter (yes, this happened to me). The guys at Airstream and Fusion were totally stumped, "never saw that before", and I was on my own. I finally did manage to revive it (through a magic combination of power cycling and reboots), but I'm giving fair warning that if their update process goes awry, you may very well brick your Fusion and good luck getting anyone to recover it. They need to seriously rethink their update process.....
There is a YouTube video on how to update the software. The gentlemen who is just like all of us, plugs in his thumb drive and you can watch him to the entire process. I hope this is helpful.