Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And.....every night....you're sleeping in your own bed.....priceless.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Reason I chose AS
- Brand Recognition
- standard width van so all of the above.
- members on this forum live theirs (mostly)
Well, I don't love mine, exactly. Not enough to marry it, anyway. My Interstate and I had "the talk" and decided to just remain good friends. Which is only fair because I'll never be able to list it as a dependent on my tax returns.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #63
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My Interstate and I had "the talk" and decided to just remain good friends.
LOL - I think we all eventually have that talk!

I keep asking myself if I love it because I paid so much for it; or because it meets all my needs. . . . Probably a little of both

- but if I would have bought the 2013 Mercedes SLS Convertible I could have got with the same money and had the issues I have had with my AS; I would have parked it at the dealership and cancelled the check.

Guess it is a learning experience; more like home ownership - than an automobile. That said - I have all the homes I've bought to thank for the vast array of power tools I now own as well so - there is always an upside.

(Current project on van is trouble shooting guide from FIAMMA for my Eagle awning to see if the motor is burnt out or its another issue; break out the multi-meter)
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #64
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
And.....every night....you're sleeping in your own bed.....priceless.

Maggie
You're Not Kidding! with our 3" Memory Foam Mattress and comforters on that thing the Florida Rest Stops were more comfortable than any hotel bed I've slept in. (And waking up to the wife cooking eggs and bacon 3' away was pretty nice!)

Mike.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we love ours, totally, completely and unashamedly unabashedly.

Y'all just have not fully bonded with yours......not had it come through, over and over again, in desert, mountains, snow, ice, scorching heat....providing not only shelter and sanctuary but comfort and security.

We still smile like newbies at each other, every time we set out in it.

141,000+ miles, and still going strong.

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
yes it surly does. Thanks
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Speaking of the Bed, ... I've seen pics of the chairs that make up the bed. .... it looks all lumpy and don't the seat belt connecters dig in your backs?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #68

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Well, I don't love mine, exactly. Not enough to marry it, anyway. My Interstate and I had "the talk" and decided to just remain good friends. Which is only fair because I'll never be able to list it as a dependent on my tax returns.
Well, not as a dependent, but you CAN take a write-off, since it qualifies as a 2nd home. I think technically you have to spend a certain number of nights per year in it (15?) but as long as it has a kitchen and a bathroom and you meet the nights-per-year requirement you can write off the interest like you can on a home without wheels.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #69
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Speaking of the Bed, ... I've seen pics of the chairs that make up the bed. .... it looks all lumpy and don't the seat belt connecters dig in your backs?
You can push the seat belts down out of the way. And as it happens, rather than lumps, there are dips, that very conveniently occur where you don't normally make contact with the mattress, such as behind your knees.

I slept on my Interstate's bed for over a dozen trips without using any kind of mattress pad at all, and experienced no particular discomfort. I slept as well as I do at home, if not better. Despite the way it looks, you'd be surprised at how comfortable the convertible bed is. But your standards of comfort may be different from mine, so all I can say is, if you're concerned over sleeping comfort with the sofa/lounge model you might go for a twin bed model instead.

I use a thin (1˝ inch) cooling foam (not memory-foam) pad on top of the bed these days because I camp in the Gulf Coast states, where hot and sticky climate is the norm. Plus, it's easier to put make up the bed by putting sheets over the pad than over the seats.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #70
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Shark, MSRP on my coach was $138,829. Breakdown: Base: $136,585, Silver: $1,260, Delivery: $984. My purchase price was $113,165 which included a special charge of $650 to deliver the coach to me out of state. Hope this helps but feel free to ask any question.
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Talking of MSRP's, I see Colonial Airstream has an Interstate EXT based on the updated Sprinter - and the MSRP is a whopping $152,125.00!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I sincerely hesitate to bring this up, but...

I have owned an '05 Interstate since new. When I first acquired the vehicle, I immediately fell in love with the B-van format and with the Sprinter platform, and I was in a swoon over owning an Airstream. Over the years, my enthusiasm for B-vans and Sprinters has held up very well. I cannot same the same thing about my opinion of the Airstream brand. In my early enthusiasm, I now realize, I overlooked an inexcusable amount of uninspired design, poor workmanship, and mediocre customer service.

Climbing onto the roof, one discovers amateurish, sloppily-applied sealant slopped around every penetration; Cheap, plastic sliding cabinet doors fall off as the liquid-nails-style adhesive used to install them start to dry out; Euro-style door hinges constantly need readjustment and reattachment; Plywood sub-panels rot as a result of invisible leakage from the refrigerator vent; Plastic "wood" veneer peels off everywhere; carpet and privacy curtains are attached using snaps secured using improperly-installed pop-rivits and need to be reattached using nuts and bolts that should have been there in the first place; wood door panels that never did line up very well get worse as they warp over time; poorly-installed PEX plumbing begins to leak at the slightest disturbance; penetrations of the Sprinter body for the water heater and other accessories rust everywhere due to missing paint treatment of the cut edges; cheesy AV components are connected to sub-woofer components that hum annoyingly due to improper shielding and cabling; Ironically, the chrome "AIRSTREAM" letters applied above the windshield slowly peel off in the wind; etc, etc.

Those of you who follow our friends over at the Airstream Westfalia site know how poorly the Airstream NAFTA mods contrast with the Westfalia-factory components, and also how those folks were dropped like a hot-potato after Airstream lost interest in the Westy product.

I don't mean this to be a rant, and I certainly don't mean to spoil the enjoyment of those who are still in the honeymoon phase of Interstate ownership. And, I do realize that 2005 was early days in Interstate production. But, I have looked carefully at current-production Interstates, and I am not at all convinced that things have materially improved in the intervening years. Airstream is an iconic brand, and one pays a significant premium for the privilege of owning one. But, I have come to believe that it is not at all obvious that one is getting the best-in-class quality that the brand should bring with it. As I get close to choosing a replacement vehicle, I will certainly choose another Sprinter-based B-van. I do not rule out that van being another Interstate. But it is by no means the only (or even the leading) alternative at this point in my search.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
We as consumers of these types of products need to always keep in mind that manufactures are always sensitive to the, ‘Sweet Spot’, that they have to strike between design and quality and how much we’ll pay. I’m disheartened that Earthworks fell victim to the bad economy because I think they would have driven Airstream and the SOB’s to up their game.
For the foreseeable future we’re gonna get what we’re willing to pay for. Which aint much.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
You Get What You Pay For

I recently looked at the Becker Automotive Design web site. They make the "top end" Sprinter JetVan. Not an RV, but a luxury Sprinter executive van. Here is what the web sites FAQ says about cost.

2. How much does a Becker Vehicle Conversion cost?
Costs vary with the options you select, as well as with the make and model of vehicle selected. When we receive your completed options selection, we will prepare a detailed price breakdown for your examination. Becker JetVan™ price ranges from $200k to $450k.

Source: Becker Automotive Design // Luxury Transport Coaches // Sprinter Van and Cadillac ESV Conversions

Considering the Roadtrek, Winnebago ERA, Leisure Van and other competing Sprinter based B-van RVs on the market the Interstate is near the top if not the best. When compared to something like the Becker Jetvan you can see why so many are being sold as a cheaper executive van alternative.

Many of the issues identified by Avanti in his 2005 Interstate have been improved to exceed other RV B-van manufactures offerings.

My 2 cents,
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Boxster, Avanti isn't talking about upgrades to double the cost, but about doing the job they're already doing correctly. Airstream could apply the sealant correctly and make it look professional and correctly install Pex fittings. (These are just examples of the kinds of things avanti mentioned.) Plenty of non-pros can do both of those things; neither takes a ton of practice. Airstream employees should be able to do it well after just a few hours of practice on some scrap material or something.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote