Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #57
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Sticker on my 2014 EXT was $140, paid $118 before tax tags title.
4 hr drive to dealer (closest one - had the van I wanted, best price, and good attitude). I did have to go bak a week later to pick it up.

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Hi,
Off topic a bit but I'd really like to know what motivates someone to want an Interstate....
It seems mostly a tailgater and short weekender.
What else do those who own do and what else those want would do if they owned one.
Thanks
Oh my!

Interstates are made to experience travel in comfort and style, in a small and efficient space.

Everything you need for daily living is contained within, where to go and what to do is up to you.

We are more a camper van than the newer models, have had ours 6 1/2 years and camped in 47 of the lower 48 states. Just completed our longest trip, at 130 days.

Added a sweet dog 3 years ago, and couldn't be happier.

Maggie

Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Interstates are made to experience travel in comfort and style, in a small and efficient space.

Everything you need for daily living is contained within, where to go and what to do is up to you.
All the comforts of home. You may have to fold up and put away one comfort of home to take out and use another, but that's one of the few compromises necessary to fit an entire RV into a stylish and efficient 18-mile-per-gallon van that you can park just about anywhere.

My longest trip to date was nine days, and on that trip I carried everything for the trip inside the coach. That was before I bought my cargo tray or my toad. I'm limited by the number of consecutive days I can take off from work, not by the endurance of the Interstate. Once I retire, two-week trips will probably be the norm, and longer cross-country trips won't be out of the question.

That said, for extended trips it's handy to expand your cargo capacity. I've used a hitch-receiver-mounted cargo tray to carry my Sea Eagle inflatable kayak, barbecue grill, and other items that I'll only ever use outside. More recently I've traded in my non-towable SUV for a toad. Which gives me the ability to make a grocery run when the 3.1cf fridge gets empty, without having to break camp and drive the Interstate, a very handy capability. But my main reason for having a toad is that I live alone, and for hurricane evacuations, I can evacuate both vehicles from the affected area without having to round up another driver.

My Interstate still gets 17~18mpg while towing my toad, just at 60mph instead of 70mph. But that's okay because the toad's owner's manual says not to tow it over 65mph.

If I were going on an extended WBCCI caravan, I'd rent a U-haul box trailer to store caravan supplies, and leave the toad at home. There would be other Airstreamers with trailers and tow vehicles, that I could hitch a ride to the store with when necessary.

Considering that an Interstate costs 50% the price of a decent Class A, but has every bit of 90% of the functionality of one and can go places where a Class A would never even fit, I'd say it's a bargain that's hard to beat.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #60
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
My last trip 16 days, IL to NC to FL to IL.

Main reason I chose Class B was as follows:
- wife can help drive in the 20 hr road trips
- fuel mileage (got 4 mpg in a class c I used once)
- ability to parallel park it (double park sometimes mine is an ext)
- can park in car space at the mall

Reason I chose AS
- Brand Recognition
- standard width van so all of the above.
- members on this forum live theirs (mostly)

Uses:
- comfort wagon on 14 hour drive to family in NC
- wife can now drink a soda while I'm driving without fear of me not stopping for 6 hrs (on board toilet )
- office with everything where I want it at in-laws
- weekend trips to fairs and events without needing a porta-potty
- future winter a week or two in warm weather

Some things to watch out for:
- gally is one lane and narrow (big people make sure you walk thru one. Once wife and I get pattern down were ok but took a few days.
- tow capacity on EXT doesn't allow me to to large load like the suburban or F250 did.
- short (24hr) battery life off grid w/o generator (using all comforts but AC)
- manual sliding door gets old after a day of in and out allot.
- 2 wheel drive; a little worried about driving cross country in snow.

Love the following:
- drives fabulous
- high seat gives great visibility
- great mileage
- rides great (with suspension upgrade even better)
- tows trailer like it isn't there
- on lookers love it

My situation
- me, wife, large Labrador (late 40s working full time)
- one trip per year with family (6-7 of us) in van.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And.....every night....you're sleeping in your own bed.....priceless.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #62

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Reason I chose AS
- Brand Recognition
- standard width van so all of the above.
- members on this forum live theirs (mostly)
Well, I don't love mine, exactly. Not enough to marry it, anyway. My Interstate and I had "the talk" and decided to just remain good friends. Which is only fair because I'll never be able to list it as a dependent on my tax returns.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #63
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My Interstate and I had "the talk" and decided to just remain good friends.
LOL - I think we all eventually have that talk!

I keep asking myself if I love it because I paid so much for it; or because it meets all my needs. . . . Probably a little of both

- but if I would have bought the 2013 Mercedes SLS Convertible I could have got with the same money and had the issues I have had with my AS; I would have parked it at the dealership and cancelled the check.

Guess it is a learning experience; more like home ownership - than an automobile. That said - I have all the homes I've bought to thank for the vast array of power tools I now own as well so - there is always an upside.

(Current project on van is trouble shooting guide from FIAMMA for my Eagle awning to see if the motor is burnt out or its another issue; break out the multi-meter)
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #64
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
And.....every night....you're sleeping in your own bed.....priceless.

Maggie
You're Not Kidding! with our 3" Memory Foam Mattress and comforters on that thing the Florida Rest Stops were more comfortable than any hotel bed I've slept in. (And waking up to the wife cooking eggs and bacon 3' away was pretty nice!)

Mike.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we love ours, totally, completely and unashamedly unabashedly.

Y'all just have not fully bonded with yours......not had it come through, over and over again, in desert, mountains, snow, ice, scorching heat....providing not only shelter and sanctuary but comfort and security.

We still smile like newbies at each other, every time we set out in it.

141,000+ miles, and still going strong.

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
yes it surly does. Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Speaking of the Bed, ... I've seen pics of the chairs that make up the bed. .... it looks all lumpy and don't the seat belt connecters dig in your backs?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #68

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Well, I don't love mine, exactly. Not enough to marry it, anyway. My Interstate and I had "the talk" and decided to just remain good friends. Which is only fair because I'll never be able to list it as a dependent on my tax returns.
Well, not as a dependent, but you CAN take a write-off, since it qualifies as a 2nd home. I think technically you have to spend a certain number of nights per year in it (15?) but as long as it has a kitchen and a bathroom and you meet the nights-per-year requirement you can write off the interest like you can on a home without wheels.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Speaking of the Bed, ... I've seen pics of the chairs that make up the bed. .... it looks all lumpy and don't the seat belt connecters dig in your backs?
You can push the seat belts down out of the way. And as it happens, rather than lumps, there are dips, that very conveniently occur where you don't normally make contact with the mattress, such as behind your knees.

I slept on my Interstate's bed for over a dozen trips without using any kind of mattress pad at all, and experienced no particular discomfort. I slept as well as I do at home, if not better. Despite the way it looks, you'd be surprised at how comfortable the convertible bed is. But your standards of comfort may be different from mine, so all I can say is, if you're concerned over sleeping comfort with the sofa/lounge model you might go for a twin bed model instead.

I use a thin (1 inch) cooling foam (not memory-foam) pad on top of the bed these days because I camp in the Gulf Coast states, where hot and sticky climate is the norm. Plus, it's easier to put make up the bed by putting sheets over the pad than over the seats.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Shark, MSRP on my coach was $138,829. Breakdown: Base: $136,585, Silver: $1,260, Delivery: $984. My purchase price was $113,165 which included a special charge of $650 to deliver the coach to me out of state. Hope this helps but feel free to ask any question.
Bill