Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Instead of knowing what someone paid a year or more ago for a new unit, knowing how much discount from MSRP or markup from invoice one paid would indeed be helpfull for someone who is negotiating a purchase today. When purchasing an automobile, dealer invoice information is readily available however it's a different story with rv's. The best you can usually do is approximate the dealer cost. Any pricing info that can be shared on this site could prove very useful. While it's true that cost structure does differ from dealer to dealer, I personally don't think any dealer can justify a 30% markup on expensive coaches.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Instead of knowing what someone paid a year or more ago for a new unit, knowing how much discount from MSRP or markup from invoice one paid would indeed be helpful for someone who is negotiating a purchase today.
My final price was within a dollar or two of 20% off MSRP.

What I did was visit the closest dealer and decide on the features I wanted, and do a test drive. Then I contacted five dealers within the range I was willing to travel— including the local dealer— and gave them the particulars on those features, and asked them all for quotes.

Two dealers tried to do a bait-and-switch, giving me a quote supposedly on what I wanted, but when I contacted them again they were actually quoting on a model with different features. That took them out of the competition right away.

The other three offered legitimate quotes on the features I wanted, so I took the lowest, and told the other two that they had to beat that price if they wanted my business.

In the final go-around, I took the lowest quote received to date, and contacted the local dealer again— since they weren't the lowest— and asked if they would meet that price. My philosophy was, for two dealers with the same price, the one that costs less to travel to will be cheaper. The local dealer did meet the lowest price, and threw in the second television to sweeten the deal, and I accepted. Since the local dealer was an hour's drive away, and the other one with the lowest price to that point was a long day's drive away, travel costs would have been significantly different. Especially when you add in the value of the time I'd have to take off from work for trip, one day's time off for the local dealer, vs. three days off for the more remote dealer.

The lesson to take home from this story is, you may get a better price from a dealer a thousand miles away, but that may not really be as much of a bargain as you think. When you compare costs, don't forget to add the hidden costs that come out of your pocket but don't go in the dealer's pocket.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Good info Pro! You did your homework, got a good deal and left the dealer with a reasonable profit!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Invoice on my 14 interstate twin, silver, was approx $107,500. (silver and black exterior are $1,000 option). In my case the dealer charged me $113,165 which included $650 for out of state delivery as well as PDI, dealer prep, 10 day trip pass & doc fee.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If you don't mind, what was the MSRP on yours?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Who's?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Who's?
Yours.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Shark, invoice on mine was ~ $107,500 (give or take a hundred or two). I never actually saw an invoice but base this on what the dealer said it was plus calculating it based on the 30% markup factor. This is for a standard length in silver.
Bill
Old 10-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Just noticed that Colonial Airstream in NJ has blowout pricing on two new 2013's. One twin and one standard length lounge.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Shark, invoice on mine was ~ $107,500 (give or take a hundred or two). I never actually saw an invoice but base this on what the dealer said it was plus calculating it based on the 30% markup factor. This is for a standard length in silver.
Bill
So are you saying that you never saw the sticker price?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Hi,
Off topic a bit but I'd really like to know what motivates someone to want an Interstate....
It seems mostly a tailgater and short weekender.
What else do those who own do and what else those want would do if they owned one.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Hi,
Off topic a bit but I'd really like to know what motivates someone to want an Interstate....
What else do those who own do and what else those want would do if they owned one.
Thanks
I'll go, although, I haven't even taken delivery on mine yet!

We want an RV to do short trips and, hopefully, long trips. Decided on the interstate because of the ability to easily drive it and park it, and to be somewhat stealth in it. Supposed to pick it up this Saturday, and will take it up the coast for 3 nights. Assume it will be quite easy to park outside our friend's house without being busted as an RV.

Husband and I are real minimalists and travel very light, so, we don't think storage is going to be an issue at all.

We have one small car, which is not big enough to tow anything, so a trailer was out. And again, we got back to the point of having a smaller, shorter vehicle that didn't look like an RV.

Does that help you to get inside my mind?!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Hi,
Thanks
Check out the daily driver thread as there are several posts in there indicating how people use the Airstream Interstate.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
I apologize Shark, I misread your request. I have the Manrony sticker at home and I'll be back there tomorrow night and post the MSRP for mine. Seems like it was 139ish.