Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Break In Procedure

I looked @ the online manual on Airstreams website and couldn't find this. Usually it is 500 miles before towing or flooring a vehicle but what about climbing a grade.

The slope uphill into my subdivision is very steep, so steep that I have often considered taking my level out and measuring the elevation change in 4 feet to determine the grade. In my daily drivers, I put it in 2nd gear (automatics) and just drive 25-30 up the hill. I did this from day one with my truck, but it is lighter than an AI. Is there a slope that would concern you? Should I just put some miles on it the day I take delivery, and not worry about it?

BTW, I am thinking it is 20-30%
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I looked @ the online manual on Airstreams website and couldn't find this. Usually it is 500 miles before towing or flooring a vehicle but what about climbing a grade.

The slope uphill into my subdivision is very steep, so steep that I have often considered taking my level out and measuring the elevation change in 4 feet to determine the grade. In my daily drivers, I put it in 2nd gear (automatics) and just drive 25-30 up the hill. I did this from day one with my truck, but it is lighter than an AI. Is there a slope that would concern you? Should I just put some miles on it the day I take delivery, and not worry about it?

BTW, I am thinking it is 20-30%
Climbing a hill when towing is the same as climbing an airplane.

Back off the speed and DO NOT rev up the engine beyond reason.

Steep hills can be climbed, by using low gear and a slow speed.

When you get to the top, you get there. If your in a real hurry, then stay away.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I'm not worried about making it up the hill, I'm just wondering if it would be prudent to put 500 miles on before doing it.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I don't have my Sprinter manual handy, but as I recall the break in period on the 2013 model is 1,000 miles not 500. As far as pulling a grade goes I think it is like the break in, no full throttle, no extended runs at high speeds, and no extended climbs at heavy throttle. Unless the hill near your house is quite long, say a mile or more I would simply take it easy and not get in too big a hurry for the first 1,000 miles or so.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I worked for a automotive company and the cars were floored by employees right for the start, and have seen no side effects ,but my own way is to avoid full throttle the first 1000 kilometers or 600 miles, allow the engine to warm up ( but don't have to hit full operating temp)before driving, keep engine speed lower don't rev it up for nothing ,keep vehicle speeds below 50 mph , vary throttle ,avoid steady throttle try to keep below 1/2 throttle opening, change your oil early about 2000kilometers or 1200 miles but not to early as some manufactures use special break in oil, on a new engine or old always start engine and wait at least 20 seconds before putting in gear 2 to 3 minutes if really cold this is to allow oil to circulate and never floor the engine if new and on broken in engine never floor it until full operating temperature is reached . You should be fine driving up a large grade as long is it s not for miles with a new engine and throttle is less then 1/2.
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm not worried about making it up the hill, I'm just wondering if it would be prudent to put 500 miles on before doing it.
Not unless you want to climb the hill in record time.

Take your time. Keep the speed way down, and you will be fine.

How long is the climb?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Check your Sprinter Owners manual. Break-in info should be on first page of the "Operation" section. In my 2012 manual it's on page 138, cut and paste quote follows:

Breaking-in
It is of decisive importance for the operating
life, reliability and economy of the vehicle that
the engine is not subjected to its full rated
load during the breaking-in period.

Up to 1000 miles (1500 km)
- Run the vehicle in carefully. Drive at varying
road and engine speeds.
- Avoid heavy loads (driving at full throttle)
and high engine speeds. Do not exceed ¾
of the maximum speed for each gear.
- Do not change down a gear manually in
order to brake.
- Avoid depressing the accelerator pedal
beyond the pressure point (kickdown) and
only engage gear 4, 3, 2 or 1 while driving
slowly.

After 1000 miles (1500 km)
Gradually bring the vehicle up to full road
and engine speeds.

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Not unless you want to climb the hill in record time.

Take your time. Keep the speed way down, and you will be fine.

How long is the climb?

Andy
It is probably 3/4 mile but it is steep.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I always broke in all of my vehicles just exactly like I drive them.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
It has been my experience with both new and rebuilt engines, hills are perfect for breaking in your new engine. You want some load on the new engine to help seat the rings properly. Vary your throttle, try not to keep the same rpm. Here is a quote from Popular Mechanics: How to break in a new car.
"
Engine Cylinder Walls

Piston rings don’t rely on their spring tension to seal against the cylinder bores. Instead, combustion gases work their way between the rings and the piston and force the rings outward. During the first few minutes of engine operation, it’s important that the throttle be opened pretty far at lower rpms to provide this high pressure. Otherwise, the rings won’t burnish the cylinder walls properly, and the engine will have high volumes of blow-by—which means excessive oil consumption and shortened engine life. If you’ve ever seen the car jockeys who drive new cars off the end of the production line into the storage lot, or the transporter drivers zipping up and down the car-hauler ramps, you’ll realize that this all-important step has been performed for you many times. If you’re installing a new engine, simply give it a few seconds of wide-open throttle in a high gear. For the first thousand miles, avoid constant speeds and throttle settings. If you commute in normal stop-and-go traffic, you’ll be fine. I advise against cruise-controlled sojourns across Nebraska.

Bearings

The admonition to keep engine revs low for an extended break-in period stems from the days when bearing and crankshaft manufacturing tolerances were far less rigorous and lubricating oil wasn’t nearly as good. While modern engines are assembled to much the same design clearances, the tolerances are much tighter, meaning the variability is smaller, greatly reducing the possibility of a tight spot. Redlining a fresh motor is generally a bad idea, but there’s no reason you shouldn’t drive normally. I would, however, avoid top-speed testing, drag racing or towing heavy trailers for the first 1000 miles. "

Hope that helps
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Looks like PM and MB agree on 1000 mile break-in.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote