Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Bought Pleasure Way Front Bed Air Mattress & other options

My 1st post after buying my AI contained many diverging discussions as most newbies like me solicit many suggestions from the experienced members here.

On the subject of front bed options, I read about a version that Airstream has an inflatable air mattress made to fit the front captain's seats in forward position that wedged against the dash. It was an expensive $1,000 item, apparently due to the included custom bedding & comforter. I considered it, but price to me is just gouging us just to have custom bedding. One would think AS would extend a discount to current AI owners. What was I thinking! On a side note, when I contacted Colonial RV to inquire about the "Custom" solution I talk about further below, I was told this is not yet available. Huh? Been advertised a long time now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCinterstateextrasleeper.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	309504

Along the way, I have seen many different DIY possibilities, most notably one that WACHUKO whipped up in like 1.5hrs (translates to 1.5 days using my carpentry skills). He posted this pic of similar setup below, which he fabricated.

Name:	Seat Bed Option 2.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	309505

Along the way, I discovered an option offered by Colonial RV. It is advertised as a "Custom Front Bed" for Class B rv's but upon request of purchase information, they promptly replied that it will not work for the AI. I can only assume it is due to the limited swivel of the 2nd row captain's chair behind driver. Maybe someone can modify this idea slightly to work with AI (hint, hint WACHUKO).

Name:	2015-6-29-hollywood-restorations-class-b-bed (1).jpg
Views:	697
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	309509

I also have come up with 2 of my own personal versions, using different hardware but not ready to post pics yet. (more on these later if I deem it a real viable option).

FLYFISHINRVR suggested the Pleasure Way option. Pretty much identical to the Airstream solution but so much cheaper at $169. So, while working my personal designs, I ordered this to try out. I just received it today. Unpacked, inflated and tested stand-alone on my sofa. My AI is still at dealer's for a/c problem, so it's a blessing in disguise to be able to test this WITHOUT the benefit of a front dashboard to keep the bottom end snugly stable. It is surprisingly stable while I laid down & literally hung on the edge of my sofa with only the bottom inflatable bolsters supporting my 150lbs. Getting in, laying down, getting up & out, never once did the bottom try to slip from my carpeted floor. Impressive. Why is this important? Because I may buy a 2nd one to use on the 2nd row captain's chairs. Will test this possibility when I get my baby back. Air mattress comfort is no different than any other I have used. But for 1 or 2 nights, it is very very livable. Much better than sleeping on the floor or outside in a tent. The downside is if you are over 5'5" forget this. It is only 61" long. The extra inches to get you to 5'5" or 5'6" coming from the room the side door handles provide. But perfect for me, wife, or daughter (there are some advantages to being a shortie).

Name:	PhotoGrid_1524701186252.png
Views:	1278
Size:	764.7 KB
ID:	309506

Name:	20180425_135910-1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	309507

Name:	20180425_135946-1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	309511
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
.... I can only assume it is due to the limited swivel of the 2nd row captain's chair behind driver. Maybe someone can modify this idea slightly to work with AI (hint, hint WACHUKO).
Yes Sir... I will modify something (not sure what at this moment) to allow that seat to swivel all the way... Not doing that this weekend as we head out Friday... but certainly the following weekend...

I am either going to elongate the holes on the bases so that I can move the complete assembly forward the required distance; shave some material from the seat base; or make a cut out on the wood panel it interferes with...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
I also have come up with 2 of my own personal versions, using different hardware but not ready to post pics yet. (more on these later if I deem it a real viable option).
Interested to see what you come up with.

EDIT: Not sure if I posted this before, but I find this solution to be very creative and an excellent choice for 1 or 2 smaller kids:

http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I purchased a cheaper inflatable version on ebay that is fairly similar. For the price of less than $50, I figured I had little to lose while trying to find something for my 8 to 10 yr old grandkids to sleep on should we take one-at-a-time on trips.

The cushion below is made for turning a rear seat in an SUV into a short bed. I fit's reasonably well in the front seat of my Chevy-based Avenue Suite. As Alex mentioned, it is only for kids, but I'm 6'2" & 195lbs. and I laid on it in the cab as a test. For me (not I'd never actually get any rest on it), it's support across the gap in the front seats would need extra support. But for a 60-80lb. grand kid, maybe not. I've not put it to the test yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FBSPORT-BSp...item3630a357c8

I've purchased this for filling the middle gap between the seats. Again, it is untried.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-Infl...72.m2749.l2649
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
EDIT: Not sure if I posted this before, but I find this solution to be very creative and an excellent choice for 1 or 2 smaller kids:
I remember seeing that, though not from you but probably from images I searched in Pinterest. I thank you again for the Pleasure Way link. I know that will definitely work for us for the front seats. I would've been happy with your duffel bag & standard air mattress solution, but with the way wife and daughter constantly wanting access to items inside those bags because of grandson, it was not an option. But still figuring out if some of the non-clothing storage containers we use may work instead of duffels.

I have been toying with this setup using a PCB table I built using adjustable heavy duty steel legs as support that spans the width of the aisle between 1st & 2nd row captain's seats. But the issue is the length of the flat part of bed is even less than the inflatable option. This is due to the limited distance the front & 2nd row seats can be pulled apart and bulk of seatbacks. But it will work for children under 5ft or taller adults who don't mind sleeping in slightly reclining position. Identical setup for driver side.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1524715179387.png
Views:	564
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	309536
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I've not put it to the test yet.

I've purchased this for filling the middle gap between the seats. Again, it is untried.
I have seen those rear seat inflatables. Glad to hear you got one. Please post back how it tests out when you eventually do. I am hoping to check out as many ideas as I can.

Funny to see that blue filler inflatable. My daughter gave me one to try out to go in between the 2 front seats (except mine is gray, but identical shape & size). I can tell you it does work, in the case when you use a regular air mattress. And if using the Pleasure Way inflatable, they provide almost identical filler too, so obviously they've also figured it works for their stuff. 😀
Old 04-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
For me (not I'd never actually get any rest on it), it's support across the gap in the front seats would need extra support.
I fixed this by putting the table across the seats. It fits perfectly, and since the table is already there, I didn't have to add anything to the "stuff" I carry in the coach. With a twin size air mattress on top (admittedly a tight fit, but that actually is a plus) and a nice fluffy sleeping bag, it works perfectly for my teen daughter.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I fixed this by putting the table across the seats. It fits perfectly, and since the table is already there
I remember you mention this on a different post. Are you talking about the hexagon table top that comes with AI? Can you pls. post a pic how you utilize this? I have found supplier for the AI table pole & locking floor mounting base. I was thinking of mounting a new base between the seats and cut off the new pole to put table top at same height as seats. But the way you describe your setup, I may not need to get that fancy & complicated.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I remember you mention this on a different post. Are you talking about the hexagon table top that comes with AI? Can you pls. post a pic how you utilize this?
Yes, the table top that comes with our rigs. I slide the 2 front seats all the way back to make the bed area as large as possible, set the table top across the seat bolsters so it fills in the gap, then place the deflated air mattress on top with the inflation hole pointing towards the passenger door. I plug my 12v pump into the 20A socket in the dash (the lower one, not the one in the cigarette tray), run the cord out the door, and let the pump do the rest. It fills the mattress up in about 30 seconds and wedges it in place. Once we're ready for bed, I shove our duffels under the area between the passenger seat and the glove box for support, and viola, all done. Easier than it sounds really, and uses things we already have with us. My daughter sleeps with her head at the steering wheel end and with the insulated shades in place and a good fluffy sleeping bag, she sleeps very well (I have as difficult of a time getting her out of that bed as I do her bed here at home!).

I'll try to set it up and take some pics of the setup in the coming days.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Yes, the table top that comes with our rigs. I slide the 2 front seats all the way back to make the bed area as large as possible, set the table top across the seat bolsters so it fills in the gap, then place the deflated air mattress on top with the inflation hole pointing towards the passenger door. I plug my 12v pump into the 20A socket in the dash (the lower one, not the one in the cigarette tray), run the cord out the door, and let the pump do the rest. It fills the mattress up in about 30 seconds and wedges it in place. Once we're ready for bed, I shove our duffels under the area between the passenger seat and the glove box for support, and viola, all done. Easier than it sounds really, and uses things we already have with us. My daughter sleeps with her head at the steering wheel end and with the insulated shades in place and a good fluffy sleeping bag, she sleeps very well (I have as difficult of a time getting her out of that bed as I do her bed here at home!).

I'll try to set it up and take some pics of the setup in the coming days.
FlyFishinRVr, did you ever end up posting pics of this? Sorry for resurrecting this thread a year later. We have the Pleasureway bed system, but I'd be interesting in seeing a pic of this in action for a different option.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We have yet to try this out, but I stumbled upon an airbed that fits on the floor between the front and second row of seats in the Lounge. Unfortunately, it has a 100 lb. weight limit. The brand is Intex Cozy Kidz Bed. Hoping this helps to solve our dilemma for a second sleeping area, if at least temporarily.

My only concern is the front edge of metal under the second row. Will have to find a plastic edging to make sure it doesn't cut the bed when wedged in that area.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
FlyFishinRVr, did you ever end up posting pics of this? Sorry for resurrecting this thread a year later. We have the Pleasureway bed system, but I'd be interesting in seeing a pic of this in action for a different option.
NATEALLEN80 - It's really no different than the Pleasureway system we both have. The only diff is FLYFISHINRVR uses regular air mattress, uses duffel bags for the footwell supports and uses the tabletop to support the mid-section near handbrake vs. the standalone inflatable ottoman used by Pleasureway. You can accomplish same thing by finding other items of same size that you already have on hand doing double duty is his point. Though this would be inconvenient if you need access your duffels all the time (i.e.me & wife) or need to setup table permanent.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post

I don't think I ever did! Sorry about that.....

I'll see if I can sneak out to the rig in the coming week and correct that error.

As Alex says, we basically re-use things we already have in the coach. One new addition for this year is we have some self inflating lounge chairs that do double duty as footwell fillers. We used this setup on our recent trip up to Banff and it worked great. My daughter loves it in her "nest". At this point I think if I bought her a fancy mattress for the front seats she'd probably turn her nose up at it!
Old 08-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Nixed the Intex bed. Takes forever to inflate and deflate with a small air inlet.
Happened to find a Coleman kids bed at Menards with a higher weight rating and a bigger air inlet that works much better. Fits perfectly between the first and second row of seats. Purchased a foldable foam topper off Amazon to put on top. It takes up some room in the coach but luckily it comes with a bag so easily moved from place to place. Might cut off the third section to make it fit better and fill in with pillows and such. Think this will suffice for our little one and hope she finds it comfortable enough to enjoy a few trips away! Way less than the Airstream bed at least!
Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Way less than the Airstream bed at least!
HAWK - pics please when you get chance. Would love see how it fits. Will utilize that area in similar fashion once grandkiddo is old enough to be there. I love everything AS but I draw the line at the AS bed which is ridiculously pricey but offers nothing special IMHO (other than supposedly custom tailored bedding).
Old 08-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Sorry for the delay in posting this.

Photos of how to use the table top, "something" to fill the gap in front of the passenger seat, and an inflatable mattress to make a really nice front bed in the Interstate:

Need to put the table top between the seats, like this:

Remember to have seats slid ALL the way back.

Now, you need something to put in front of the passenger seat, where your feet go, to prop up the mattress on that corner. I use whatever we have handy, but recently we bought some self inflating lounge chairs, so I use one of those:

I find you really only need one on the passenger side. The steering wheel is the "head" of the bed, and it stops my daughter from rolling into the area where the driver's feet go.

This next photo will show what I mean:

That's a twin size Intex air mattress that I got for < $20 on Amazon.

And there you have it. Takes about 10 minutes to set up, even less to take down.

Toss a sleeping bag, pillow(s), and kiddo on top, and you're done!

Note that's grumpy "why are you waking me up so early" kid face. She really does love it up there in her "nest".

Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa

Name:	2877A738-22E4-4C80-8EA2-00E16B54D190.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	349841

Name:	53DAECAD-7475-4B32-A88D-5E196150DD5A.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	349842

Name:	2A5EA62F-31D5-4B9B-8EAC-2C9D8AE0E6BB.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	349843
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19A0A1E1-617C-461B-9B45-219C2C6BE220.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	349844  
Old 08-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
As you can see, the foam bed is a bit long but you could possibly prop it up on either side if your little one is smaller or I am contemplating cutting one section off so there are only two sections, removing one of the foam pieces, or cutting the third and sewing it to the correct length. It's 74" long and we only have about 68" max in that space.

We are starting off with a sleeping bad as I let my daughter pick, but we'll see if it works, we have yet to try a full night with her on this setup.

Bed inflates in about 3 seconds with the pump and deflates in about 5-10 seconds.

The link to the tri-fold foam piece is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased the Coleman bed in person at Menards, I'd guess it's probably sold elsewhere or on Amazon. It fits very well in that space.
I'm pretty fussy and found it comfortable. The foam is surprisingly comfortable. Any gaps like where the door pillar sticks out, we will fill with either a blanket or pillow or both.

Cost for both parts of the bed were <$125.
Takes less than five minutes to set up and disassemble.
Someone may be able to recreate the foam bed part at a lesser cost, but I just didn't have the time to mess with it.
The foam takes up some real estate but comes in a carrying case with a handle so you can move it from place to place fairly easily. It also fits between the seats if that is an option for you. The case is soft so we throw it over the couch for transport and pull it out to make everyone a bed.

I've looked at the AS option, cots, making an elevated bed, etc. and couldn't engineer something that seemed comfortable, fit in the space available, and could store easily. For now, this is our best option. We'll see if it evolves. My next pick was the bed you have, but we couldn't wait for shipping and the second row option feels like it has a bit more room.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
FlyFishin-super creative way to use what you already have! What a cute little model you have! Looks like a great solution and way to bring your extra passengers!!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
HAWK - OK, that is nice & easy & fast. You don't have to cut the foam topper. If you have sewing skills, just fold it over for built-in pillow ala sleeping bags. We don't use the Pleasureway inflatable too often. While it is an excellent comfortable bed, it just takes lots of time to setup. I like your setup bettr than mine, take much less time to take down.

PS - I don't think you daughter sleeps upside down. You probably just need to re-size or crop your pics just even 1mm so they load right side up. The attachment loader just needs to see that it''s been modified, (does not matter how much/little you crop out) so it re-orients properly. Try it, you'll love it, it easier on my neck too