Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TerryC, how challenging is when opening the drawer in consideration of the three latch/locks. Sounds like your OEM was two and you added another??

TerraYacht I'd love to see your pics.

Thanks

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
OK, Bob, I will hold off, but Terry's installation is a very exacting process which works only (IMO) because everything was fabricated square in a shop, with the back "drawer keep receivers" located precisely on that back carcass. I have not used these keeper units, but have had plenty of cabinet shop experience, so I would not want to have to install them at the back of the FC20 oven's lower drawer space, not with these knees and shoulders at any rate . . . !]

My thoughts exactly re the rear installation and I ruled that out thinking back of the recent pump insulation work (need to get some pics).

Earlier, I was thinking of adding the latche(s) at the front, but wasn't aware of the math side of it. I believe ours are in front and maybe adding 1 or two would be (groan) somewhat easy. I need to look again at the drawer.

p.s. I remember the earlier TerryC thread as I remember thinking as I read the San Miguel reference in Saratoga...Peter appears to like his SM....surf and the beer ; )

[What is your idea, Bob?

PS -- LIS [ Life is short ] -- and the surface bolt fix is KISS and enables OTRA ASAP! How's that for acronym city? ]
{ impressive }

Just a thought...http://jaynovabrass.com/brass-buildi...ss-latches.htm

scroll down to the second picture (also attached...latch on the far left) Seems these types of latches have a flat female portion that accepts the latch, that could be screwed to the top of the drawer fascia. The down side is that it would be screwing with the ply's...so lateral strength may be less than desired although probably stronger than the slide bolt intrusion.

The other thought was to drill just below the drawer fascia and thread in a threaded tap...rework a small L bracket with another return so that you could finger tighten a small bolt to keep the drawer in place. You could also put a T-nut on the back of the panel for additional strength.

When in place you would only see the bracket which wraps vertical (1/2" maybe) and maybe the end of the bolt...depending on the selection of the head type. When not in use you wouldn't really see the tap. In fact, with a T-nut on the back, maybe that would not be needed and you'd see the 1/8" hole. You could also sacrifice the draw fascia and drill thru it and forget the bracket and slip in a dummy bolt when the drawer is in use.

To paraphrase a TSR neighbor who was the proverbial rocket scientist at Ames/Moffet Field..."no idea is a dumb idea. Dumb ideas are often part of the evolution of good ideas"

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brass_baby_latch (Small).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	259295   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual-threaded-insert-for-wooden-taphandles (Small).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	259296  

Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
KISS
LISS
OTRA ASAP

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bottom drawers coming out in sharp turns

Reminds me of my NASA days. Them folks speak eat, and dream acronyms, I swear.

I keep in mind that there are only 17,576 possible TLAs so it gets confusing in a hurry.

(Three Letter Acronyms) 😄😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
[Sorry Bob I got as far as the acronyms, and ran out of edit time window, as something else came up.]

Thanks for your suggestions, those rectangular slide bolts sure look a lot better!

I am going to carry the new barrel bolt in the trailer, and install it if the drawer ever comes out again. Will pack that bottom drawer carefully so contents can't slide around and generate internal momentum which might force the drawer open.

Time to "summerize" and get on the road again, if only to a local campground . . .
Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
rmkrum: apologies TSR = The Sea Ranch. I'm sure there is one for Ames : )

Peter/OTRA15, I'll continue to refine the tap/bracket concept and maybe go by the (good contractor good product) Hardware supplier. I still haven't forgotten the magnet concept. I want to understand it better.

Default: KISShttp://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...rod-white.html

I hear it is available in brushed nickle ; )

Go Dux...58/72 Duke vs. Oregon: 4:04 remaining 2nd half )))))))
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
ooops, forgot the visual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7908 (Small).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	259338  
Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
ooops, forgot the visual
Wouldn't an old-fashioned rubber doorstop have worked just as well? Especially for someone who doesn't have a convenient corner to wedge a brace into…
Old 03-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Protagonist, Thanks and a great idea. It's hard to tell from the pic but the drawer fascia is a couple of inches above the FF in the 20'. I'm not sure of the dimension in other AS/AI's.

In the 20' there is a lower panel/fascia below the pot/pan drawer to accommodate the pump.

bob
Old 03-25-2016, 04:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here are a couple of other photos, Protagonist, of the area in question FYI, with a barrel bolt propped up for consideration:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1766472