Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Boondocking in Grand Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Installed. Just waiting on my extension cord to connect them to the front panel and I'm 300 Watts. No holes drilled and so far plug N play. Used 3M RP45 VHB to attached the panels to the roof. Also used 5/16" mill aluminum screen frame to provide additional contact surface between the roof ridges as well as to prevent wind lift. Much more elegant than the AS OEM panel.

Will remove the SB-164 relay tomorrow to remove that useless battery drain. I'll test this set up before I venture into more batteries.
Nice job! No added holes is a good thing. Every penetration on the roof is a potential leak eventually.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #62
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
Very nice installation. May I ask for the details of your add-on panels? I think I could do something very similar if I knew where to get them. Also, are you connecting them in parallel to the existing panel, giving you three parallel panels? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
Very nice installation. May I ask for the details of your add-on panels? I think I could do something very similar if I knew where to get them. Also, are you connecting them in parallel to the existing panel, giving you three parallel panels? Thanks in advance.
http://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-kits-modules

Yes, with the GP-100E, you get the plugs required to connect to the solar panel supplied from AS (which is the same panel as comes in the kit above). You will need a cable to run from the back panels to the front panel. You can make it or in my case I ordered from a vendor on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Photovol...ilpage_o01_s00

I purchased the 3M VHB from Amazon as it is not available Retail. The Aluminum screen framing used as a spacer was purchased from Lowes.

Note, I checked with Airstream before venturing on this and Customer support replied saying the OEM wiring, controller etc. can accommodate 300 Watts. That said there is one notation in the AS Schematics that shows 15 Amps where the controller connects to the battery buss. 3 of these panels together can produce over 17 Amps. I had it apart today to reverse Service Bulletin 164 and it does not appear to be fused, but it is marked 15 amps with a Sharpie. It appears to be just a straight Buss. I guess I'll find out eventually.

Good Luck.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #64
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Mcrider - Good stuff! Thanks.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Got the extension cable yesterday. Hooked up the back panels to the front and drove out into the Houston sun at 4PM. 13+ amps of charging. Very nice. I turned just about everything on + 120 volt loads while I was working and was able to pull the batteries down to ~80%. In the sun a short period and all was back to 100% with everything running. I'll test this set-up for a bit and see if I need to add more AH storage. Would like to avoid the weight if I can.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
This as an educational paper. You must have general mechanical and electrical skills (and some dexterity) for this experiment. Project goal: Boondocking in moderate climate for 48 hours without generator use. Details in attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boondocking upgrade.pdf (514.4 KB, 286 views)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
This as an educational paper. You must have general mechanical and electrical skills (and some dexterity) for this experiment. Project goal: Boondocking in moderate climate for 48 hours without generator use. Details in attachment
I like the power allocation table in your document. Most sources I've read assume an average of 5 hours of solar production. If you're in a sunny southern climate, your performance may indead be better, perticularly in summer.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #68
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I like the power allocation table in your document. Most sources I've read assume an average of 5 hours of solar production. If you're in a sunny southern climate, your performance may indead be better, perticularly in summer.
You have to consider that a horizontal panel may get more hours of sunlight, but at a lower angle of incidence i early morning and late afternoon that reduces the panel's effectiveness. Thus you may still only get 5 hours of "good" sunlight.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Protag, LB, Yes you are correct, the model assumes only 55% efficiency over those 6 hours. In May while in TN with a mix of sun and clouds this estimate came in almost on the money. I looked at several efficiency scenarios using some DOE data. In February at Fort Davis, TX I was surprised to see peak power around 1PM while on the same trip in the Basin of Big Bend solar capture was miserable. The difference between the two was shading from the TV antenna. After a year I'll have a better feel on what to expect across the seasons.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

Nice job! I really like the approach of using two more OEM battery trays from Airstream on the curbside to add to your battery capacity. You may want to add a terminal fuse on the added curbside battery group to protect the crossover cables in case they got damaged by road debris.

- - Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You may want to add a terminal fuse on the added curbside battery group to protect the crossover cables in case they got damaged by road debris.
Thanks. I'm doing that. Lew is fabricating the cables and I'll have an MRBF fuse on the new bank for added protection as you point out. My next project is to put the interior series propane switch in like you have done. I've been studying the AS drawings this morning to try to find where the wiring cross-over is on the GT so I can tap in after the Frig/Freezer (which are on the same 12V circuit #6).
Old 06-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
OK folks the Solar and Battery addition is complete. A big thanks to Boxter for the layout idea and Lew for the cable help and many others for a steer here and there. We will be heading out for a long trip next week with loads of Boondocking so I'll keep records on how the 300 Watts and 320 AH capacity performs. Updated the document capturing the finished product.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boondocking upgrade.pdf (1.43 MB, 360 views)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I can't wait to hear how it does. I suspect you will never need to plug in on your trip.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
OK folks the Solar and Battery addition is complete. A big thanks to Boxter for the layout idea and Lew for the cable help and many others for a steer here and there. We will be heading out for a long trip next week with loads of Boondocking so I'll keep records on how the 300 Watts and 320 AH capacity performs. Updated the document capturing the finished product.

Nice job on summarizing your mods in one document. I really like the table format with a short write-up next to a picture. I'll start working on doing the same for my projects. I had already started a document to list my mods thinking ahead to the day when I would need to remember exactly what I did and when I might sell my Interstate.

- - Mike
Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #75
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Quote:

You've done a very nice job on your mods. I was wondering if you happened to notice which connector pin they have the pig-tail connected to on the MM-DCLD.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
You've done a very nice job on your mods. I was wondering if you happened to notice which connector pin they have the pig-tail connected to on the MM-DCLD.
Not sure what you are referring to, but if you mean the 12 volt lead I connected it to a spare slot on the 12 volt distribution panel and added a 5 Amp fuse.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #77
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
Quote:
Not sure what you are referring to, but if you mean the 12 volt lead I connected it to a spare slot on the 12 volt distribution panel and added a 5 Amp fuse.

I was thinking of the other end of the wire at the RJ11 connector. I wondered which pin was is used in the connector. Since the MM-DCLD's have disappeared from the market, it shouldn't be too hard to make one from a 6-wire phone cable. But you would need to know which pin they used.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Back from our trip and the upgrade performed very well. We never had to run the generator due to depleted batteries though you'll see we did a bit of driving. If we had stayed in Glacier one more night it would have been close. Our site was completely shaded and the forecast was rain all day.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solar Upgrade Evaluation.pdf (25.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
midland , Texas
Great stuff
southjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #80
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scotch Plains , New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to Eberheld
Solar upgrade on Sprinter Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If you up your solar to 300 watts you should consider upgrading the wiring and controller. But doing that is a bigger project. So yes you could start with the new panels and see how they perform before going the next step to upgrade wiring and controller.

I also like your approach of getting more Airstream OEM battery trays and adding them on curb side to increase capacity. I've done all my electrical upgrades in stages. First I replaced the original 50 watt panel with two 100 watt panels plus new wiring and controller. Then about a year later I added two more 100 watt panels, all matched rigid panels. This year I upgraded the batteries and inverter. I now have an electrical system that meets all my needs.

- - Mike
Mike, I have a 2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext and want to do what you did. How did you find roof space for your four panels? Did you remove the TV antenna? Did you purchase the extra OEM battery tray from Airstream? What batteries did you purchase? My wife and I want to do mostly boondocking. Have you any experience with portable solar? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Eberheld is offline   Reply With Quote