Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Blind spot assist not accurate.

Got van back from Mercedes. It is a 2018 so we are getting to know it. . We find the side mirror blind spot light comes on randomly. We notice on two lane roads where there is no traffic and interstates (no traffic). Thought maybe sun shadows and different times of day effect it.
Either way, while it was at Mercedes (for other issues and other thread) we figured have them check it out and maybe adjust it. They said "could not duplicate and no fault codes found". They said it is NOT adjustable anyway.

Anyone have any experience with this?
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Yes, same here. I thought it was normal. Got to say...keeps me on alert.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
On my 2014.5, the blind spot seems to be quite accurate. I have never noticed a false alarm and it seems to catch all traffic, including bicycles and motorcycles.

One thing to note: if you have anything plugged into the 7-way trailer plug, the blind spot and the backup sensors are disabled. The mirrors show a steady yellow triangle. My transmitter for the wireless tow lights on my Smart toad disables these items.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I also own a 2018 Interstate. I love having the blind spot indicators but it simply is not enough. I wish we could all go back to the days when all we had were our two mirrors. We depended on them and made a habit of scanning them very frequently.

That being said, the Mercedes-Benz blind spot is one of the best but no one should stake their or their families life on them. We have to use old school (Mirrors set correctly) and new school ( Blind spot and Left/Right cams) together for the ultimate safe drive.

Bottom line, I fully agree with your assessment of the blind spot indications. You will get used to them very shortly. The same holds true with the rear cam which is really not very accurate.

Never a dull moment in a trailer or camper. That is for sure.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Thanks for yalls input. Airstream says the blind spot assist can be adjusted. Mercedes says it can not. So the big question is does anyone know if it can be adjusted?
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Call Another M-B Source

The very best customer-centered Mercedes-Benz dealer in the US is Mercedes-Benz of North Olmstead, Ohio. Call up the dealership and ask for Mr. Ryan Frick. He is the service manager. Ask him the questions. Please remember, one of the key reason's we pay a little more for an Airstream Class B coach is all the Mercedes-Benz options rather then 3rd party. On this options, the authority is MB not Airstream. Now the video cams (Rear, left and right) are NOT Mercedes-Benz, they are third party.

I know how frustrating things like this can be, MB is the right source. All Airstream is going to do on this one is refer you to the closest MB Sprinter dealer.

Gary T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
Thanks for yalls input. Airstream says the blind spot assist can be adjusted. Mercedes says it can not. So the big question is does anyone know if it can be adjusted?

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
We just had our first trip and I noticed similar problems particularly on the passenger side. The red light wanted to stay on for a long duration. The Mercedes manual was interesting to read the location and range of the blind spot sensors. As I recall it covers a zone that goes 10' out from about mid cabin to 10' aft of the bumper. I think it was picking up construction cones and concrete barriers on the left side on the highway. I need more seat-time to understand the limitations and quirks of the system.

On the side cameras, I find those dangerously useless. The image is not clear enough to make a quick decision. Why look left at a monitor in the console when you can look right at the mirror? I think I need to play with the contrast and adjustments to get a better picture.

Back up camera is great.
Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Stitchy View Post
We just had our first trip and I noticed similar problems particularly on the passenger side. The red light wanted to stay on for a long duration. The Mercedes manual was interesting to read the location and range of the blind spot sensors. As I recall it covers a zone that goes 10' out from about mid cabin to 10' aft of the bumper. I think it was picking up construction cones and concrete barriers on the left side on the highway. I need more seat-time to understand the limitations and quirks of the system.

On the side cameras, I find those dangerously useless. The image is not clear enough to make a quick decision. Why look left at a monitor in the console when you can look right at the mirror? I think I need to play with the contrast and adjustments to get a better picture.

Back up camera is great.
In my case, side cameras have better resolution than rearview camera. I find those to be excellent.

But I also find the mirrors to be great as well.

Must be that this is the first and only RV that I have had... I am soooooo frigging happy with mine.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Mine routinely disable themselves (with much fanfare and chiming of bells) but I just ignore it because I find the view to the sides of the van in the convex mirrors at the bottom of the big mirrors to be excellent. IMO there is no actual “blind spot” because I can easily see down both sides of the van and what’s behind me via the dedicated rear view camera.

Maybe y’all are driving a different vehicle than I am...... [emoji848]
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Agree with Flyfishing - In our first trip I was very please with the mirror visibility on both sides. Be careful, check the mirrors thoroughly and all the other bells and whistles become unnecessary. Nice to have but not needed to drive the 3500 safely and comfortably.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I could be mistaken but I believe the Blind Spot Sensors are not optically based, they use a type of radar. They are usually mounted behind the bumper cover on the rear corners. If the rear tow angle on the alignment is out then it will need to be adjusted and the sensors recalibrated.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Manual says that there is also a sensor on a column on each side. Somewhere between the windows? I have not gone looking for them.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Stitchy View Post
Manual says that there is also a sensor on a column on each side. Somewhere between the windows? I have not gone looking for them.
There is a square, about 4" on a side, that is molded into the cladding on each side of the coach near the rear. These are the sensors. On mine, there is a different paint or a lack of paint on that square so that it doesn't quite match the balance of the cladding.

I assume Airstream moves the Mercedes sensor to the cladding during the upfit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
At the risk of stating the obvious:

1) Blind spot detectors disable if you slow down below 30(?) mph.

2) Construction barriers, bridges railings, even dense vegetation on narrow lanes will cause them to shut off.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote