Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Black water leaking at macerator

The Interstate was in storage for 3 months with a very small amount of waste (liquid) in the black tank and over time a small amount leaked out onto the garage floor. When I discovered this, I looked underneath and could see that the drip seemed to be coming from the large hose on the discharge side of the macerator. I tightened the screw clamp about 1/2 turn and the leak seemed to stop. After a few days of use there was no apparent leakage from this area. But, I set up for a tank dump and as soon as I pushed the switch to open the blank tank valve, a lot of liquid poured out. I wasn't in a position to get underneath to check things out but will be lifting the van on ramps in a couple of days.

So, my question is: what are the common points of failure that might cause leakage in this area. What should I be looking for?

Thanks!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
The Interstate was in storage for 3 months with a very small amount of waste (liquid) in the black tank and over time a small amount leaked out onto the garage floor. When I discovered this, I looked underneath and could see that the drip seemed to be coming from the large hose on the discharge side of the macerator.
The large hose is on the inlet side of the pump, 3" or 4" in diameter like a slinky. The small hose, about 1" or 1-1/8" in diameter is on the outlet side and leads to the hose reel.
Quote:
I tightened the screw clamp about 1/2 turn and the leak seemed to stop. After a few days of use there was no apparent leakage from this area.
There wouldn't be, if there wasn't a lot of liquid TO leak, which would be the case as long as the dump valves were closed.
Quote:
But, I set up for a tank dump and as soon as I pushed the switch to open the blank tank valve, a lot of liquid poured out. I wasn't in a position to get underneath to check things out but will be lifting the van on ramps in a couple of days.
My guess would be a split hose due to inadequate winterizing. It's also possible that a pump seal could have gone bad, again due to inadequate winterizing. Suggest filling the gray tank with CLEAN water, possibly with pink stuff antifreeze added to give it some color, so that you can more easily track down the leak when you open the valve again. It makes no difference whether you try to dump the black tank or the gray tank while troubleshooting; both drain lines come together before you get to the pump.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Check this out. My black water tank hose came off on my way to the Overland Expo. An RV repair shop in Kingman AZ crawled underneath and reconnected the hose for me, no charge! But the point of this story is that, over the past year, I've found many items that haven't been tightened when Airstream put the Interstate together. For example, the exhaust pipe for the generator fell off, the cable for the 2nd row seat adjustment fell off, and when I checked the other cable, it was about to fall off too. I just hope the interior plumbing doesn't start leaking.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403413631.220835.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	214642Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403413646.712775.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	214643
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2013 Interstate Coach
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Just a side note:

We had to take apart the connection shown in David M's pictures to rebuild the macerator pump. Had a little time working the hose off as someone used a large quantity of silicone between the hose and fitting to seal it.

Ours did not have the rubber boot I think I see there. Just a section of hose.

On Edit, right hose, wrong end....
fonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Craftsmanship is more then shady. Lots of loose and missing screws. Even my service experience was disappointing in Jackson Center OH. I am not real happy with my purchase which I based on reputation and good looks. I guess Airstream is doing its best to ruin the reputation part.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
I'm all for threads where a person has a problem they want help solving. I'm an engineer; I like solving problems. If I don't have a problem to solve, I have go go out and make one of my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Craftsmanship is more then shady. Lots of loose and missing screws. Even my service experience was disappointing in Jackson Center OH. I am not real happy with my purchase which I based on reputation and good looks. I guess Airstream is doing its best to ruin the reputation part.
But if this is going to drift into yet another Airstream-bashing thread, I'm out of here.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I agree with problem solving but plain simple lack of attention to the job is inexcusable. Loose screws loose nuts and not cleaning up or preventing metal chips from flying all over is not problems we need to solve it is a quality of work concern airstream has to fix.
I sought the forum is to share experience and not only to hail Airstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You can start a new thread for bashing or just use one of the earlier ones and add to it. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Wayne, everyone.

A couple of things to keep in mind.

Stainless steel hose clamps *will* loosen over time due to cold flow of the hose being clamped. Retightening them is part of preventative maintenance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28deformation%29

That is why the automotive industry has more or less switched over to various kinds of self-tightening spring-loaded clamps. There are some self-tightening stainless steel worm gear type clamps available as well as T-clamp type replacements:

http://i.frsimg.com//images/detailed...028_282029.jpg

http://img.directindustry.com/images...64-2878611.jpg

The problem in retrofitting such clamps is finding something that fits the available space and allows sufficient service accessibility.

Perhaps the mother ship should take note, but there are all kinds of costs that would come with switching over their production, for doubtful benefits, so I certainly wouldn't consider it a high priority compared to other quality matters.

As far as the OP is concerned, well, probably the pump housing is cracked. You might be able to find a replacement housing, but realistically, you're looking at $200+ for a new pump.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I've been a member of these forums for several years now. In that time there have been many, many threads and countless negative comments on the build-quality of new Airstreams.

I agree with PS; this forum is to share experience, not only to hail Airstream.

People aught not to be made to feel they are "bashers" when offering critical comment.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
I've been a member of these forums for several years now. In that time there have been many, many threads and countless negative comments on the build-quality of new Airstreams.

I agree with PS; this forum is to share experience, not only to hail Airstream.

People aught not to be made to feel they are "bashers" when offering critical comment.
As the one to criticize bashing and accidentally hijack the thread in the process, please allow me to clarify…

Complaints that Airstream got it wrong aren't necessarily bashing in my book, as long as that comment is accompanied by a constructive comment on how to fix the problem in question.

But merely saying that something like "Heh, Airstream screwed up again," without offering a solution, that's what I consider bashing and it doesn't help the OP who wants his problem fixed.

For anyone who has a complaint about Airstream quality or lack thereof— whether they have a solution to propose for the OP or not— I offer my heartfelt apology if I made you feel unwelcome. It ain't MY thread, and I had no right to complain about your complaints.

And now you all can go back to what you were doing…
Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Let's see, where were we......?

Oh, the leak! I found the problem. The Macerator is a stacked assembly. The housing part is held to the rest of the assembly by 4 studs. Two of the studs go all they way through to the motor housing and two (shorter ones) go to the pump body. One of the short studs had broken off at the pump body. I may be able to get a replacement stud but I may replace the Macerator with a new one. Looks like they cost around $200. This will be a project (one of several) for my next visit to the Interstate.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Wayneskid,

I don’t know if the Interstate uses the same JABSCO macerator that I have in my Sani Con system but you can probably buy a Service Kit for yours. If it’s the Model 18598-1000 you will be able to for sure.

Attached here are:

a listing for a Kit on Amazon
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...0000001280.pdf

the Data Sheet from Jabsco
http://www.amazon.com/JABSCO-18598-1.../dp/B00C1M3JBC

a really good instructional You Tube from Jabsco

This video wasn’t around when I installed a Service Kit a couple years ago, as far as I know, but the job is pretty easy to do. The video will explain it all for you.

In my case, one of those long brass bolts somehow entered the macerator - don’t ask me how that could be but that’s were I found it - and ate up the impeller!

Good luck,
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2013 Interstate Coach
Grand Rapids , Michigan
You may be able to pick up a repair / overhaul kit with a Jabsco label on it at a marine outlet....part numbers correlate. A kit comes with studs, but not sure if they will be longs or shorts.

When ours died my impeller had lost a fin and it caught in the outlet blowing fuses and my tanks were full...so I was in a hurry. <VBG>
fonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Let's see, where were we......?

Oh, the leak! I found the problem. The Macerator is a stacked assembly. The housing part is held to the rest of the assembly by 4 studs. Two of the studs go all they way through to the motor housing and two (shorter ones) go to the pump body. One of the short studs had broken off at the pump body. I may be able to get a replacement stud but I may replace the Macerator with a new one. Looks like they cost around $200. This will be a project (one of several) for my next visit to the Interstate.
I recommend all Interstate owners check their macerator pump mounts after a year of use and before your warranty runs out. I found mine had a broken mount and the motor was just floating loose only held in by the hose connections. That was after 30,000 miles and 18 months. I got it replaced by dealer under warranty at no cost. Pays to check this item that does fail with use and is costly to replace.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Thanks Boxter, I'll have my Macerator checked. This might explain why my hose came off. It looked like the hose would be under compression when properly installed, so I couldn't fathom why it would come off like it did in the pictures.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A good maintenance check of everything can help eliminate problems on the road. Good job. , Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hi Wayne, everyone.

A couple of things to keep in mind.

Stainless steel hose clamps *will* loosen over time due to cold flow of the hose being clamped. Retightening them is part of preventative maintenance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28deformation%29

That is why the automotive industry has more or less switched over to various kinds of self-tightening spring-loaded clamps. There are some self-tightening stainless steel worm gear type clamps available as well as T-clamp type replacements:

http://i.frsimg.com//images/detailed...028_282029.jpg

http://img.directindustry.com/images...64-2878611.jpg

The problem in retrofitting such clamps is finding something that fits the available space and allows sufficient service accessibility.

Perhaps the mother ship should take note, but there are all kinds of costs that would come with switching over their production, for doubtful benefits, so I certainly wouldn't consider it a high priority compared to other quality matters.

As far as the OP is concerned, well, probably the pump housing is cracked. You might be able to find a replacement housing, but realistically, you're looking at $200+ for a new pump.
Thanks for the useful information Jammer. I will be looking for some of those clamps to use when I install the new pump.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
One of the main problems with Airstream's macerator design is that the intake hose will never become clear of liquid. When the tanks are empty, the hose becomes half full and the macerator can't pump half water and half air. It is not possible to winterize it with antifreeze. The only fix is to remove the hose and drain it. The macerator will be damaged if it freezes, or perhaps the standing liquid may shorten it's life. This is not a bashing of Airtream, just a note of poor design.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wouldn't pumping antifreeze through the system until it comes out the output hose eliminate this problem?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote