Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Severna Park , Maryland
Question AI Black Water dumping problems

When I went to winterize my 2010 Interstate, the black tank valve light was on indicating that it was open. I have had the AI only about a year and dumped it at the end of our last (and first) trip last spring and am pretty sure it was closed afterward. I tried to close the valve but no response. The grey water valve opens and closes just fine. Then I tried to run the macerator, again no response. Since I blew the hose reel fuse when I dumped, I immediately went to look at the fuses. All checked ok. I consulted the manual, pulled the rubber plug off the macerator and turned it with a screw driver. It turned easily, but still no response. Does this sound like a problem that will require a visit to an Airstream dealer or do I have a chance of correcting the problem myself. Nearest dealer is about 2 hours away.
proftjs33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
It seems odd that the gray valve opens and closes just fine if the black valve is open, since (on mine at least) only one can be open at a time. On mine (2013 Lounge EXT) the relays are under the road-side rear side seat - way back against the wall and on the forward side of the wheel well. You might try swapping the two relays (they are identical) and see if the problem moves to the gray water valve being stuck open.

Per the wiring diagrams that I have the dump valves and macerator pump are on different circuits, so problems with one cannot cause a problem with the other.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
On my 2011, the two valves were independent, that is they could both be open at the same time.

IIRC the valves can also be operated manually.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Severna Park , Maryland
Finally was able to get my AI to repair shop. The problem was that the fuse was not making a good connection. He tightened prongs and it now works fine. I had checked the fuse and it wasn't burnout but I didn't think to check for a good connection. He also said they had seen this problem with this fuse panel before so he was able to diagnose the problem quickly.

2010 Airstream Interstate on 2008 Mercedes chassis
Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by proftjs33 View Post
Finally was able to get my AI to repair shop. The problem was that the fuse was not making a good connection. He tightened prongs and it now works fine. I had checked the fuse and it wasn't burnout but I didn't think to check for a good connection. He also said they had seen this problem with this fuse panel before so he was able to diagnose the problem quickly.

2010 Airstream Interstate on 2008 Mercedes chassis
Thank you for your follow up to this post. I have the exact same problem with the same model year AI. Looking forward to checking tomorrow. It would make my day if the fuse connection was the problem.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
I'll have to check this out (the fuse holder) as I have the same problem on the same version AI. 2010 Interstate on 2008 Sprinter. Mine is a Freightliner. I had this problem "fixed" at Jackson Center last March and it failed again almost immediately. The dump valve part of the JC bill was $312 and it still doesn't work. Argh!

I have an appointment at Airstream Adventures NW in a few weeks; maybe I can fix it and save some $$!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Severna Park , Maryland
It would be great if this solves your problem also. I'm thankful that my repairman was so knowledgable (and honest).
Old 02-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I've seen that happen before, but it was some time ago.

Back when I did public safety two-way radio, we also installed radio in vehicles- often the Ranger 'cop cars'. On those we ended up with a neat centre console (to re-use when they got a new car). We had one large + and - feed, then used a fuse panel to distribute to various components.
It was a bit of a head scratcher At first when rangers would come back saying something quit working. Often they are on quite rough dirt roads and many were not particularly careful about the speed. The fuse holders would loose their 'spring' and the fuse would be loose. Often only showing up when a very high current is called for (like transmitting).
The company replaced all the fuse holders, but often we had to do quick fixed by squeezing them a bit. It appeared to be a really nice setup, but turned out to. Be rather a mess before all were fixed. These guys rely of the equipment working, so I took reliability very seriously.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
It was not the fuse connection.

I took a apart the black tank valve and reinstalled it only this time did not tighten the fasteners so tight. The valve worked after installing new seals properly. " PLACE THE SEALS ON THE FLANGE(THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP- DO NOT PLACE SEALS ON THE VALVE ITSELF" and "FINGER TIGHT NO MORE THAN 1.5 TURNS WITH A WRENCH." I used caps because the instructions emphasized it.

Note: I happen to have a valve tune up kit I did not use because I tried to fix the gray tank valve and ended up replacing it instead.

It appeared I squished the valve and would not work. Not sure why it took a year before it stopped working.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I'll have to check this out (the fuse holder) as I have the same problem on the same version AI. 2010 Interstate on 2008 Sprinter. Mine is a Freightliner. I had this problem "fixed" at Jackson Center last March and it failed again almost immediately. The dump valve part of the JC bill was $312 and it still doesn't work. Argh!

I have an appointment at Airstream Adventures NW in a few weeks; maybe I can fix it and save some $$!

It wasn't the fuse. Airstream Adventures NW replaced the valve. Airstream JC refunded the full cost of their earlier "fix" that wasn't!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote