Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Black tank pump leaks

Hello Interstaters!

There is a pump underneath, on the left side of our van. Once we open the black tank valve, black fluid goes from the tank to that pump by a pipe approximately 3 inch in diameter. I have a small leak from the place where that pipe connects to the motor pump (it was just my visual inspection).

What me to look first, and is there some clamp or anything that I am able to tight or replace myself before I go to a service shop?

Thank you everyone responded!

Old 06-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm on Anna Maria Island this week so can't come to you but when I dump my tanks this morning, will look to see what might be the cause. I suspect either a loose clamp or screw or something has cracked it like hitting a "gator" like I had the misfortune to do on the way down. Fortunately the only damage seems to be some black streaks down the side and it loosened the exhaust hanger at the end of the tail pipe. First time I've ever seen the birth of a "gator" on the hiway. Semi was about 150 yds in front of me and there was a loud bang when the tread came off. Fortunately it came to rest on the right edge on my lane but since there were vehicles on both sides, I could just edge over to the left of my lane and caught part of it down the right side and both tires hit it. Very jarring.

If one of those goes under the van, then there's no telling how much damage it could wreak.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Hello Mr. B, the Interstate Parts Book has a pretty good diagram showing how the waste plumbing is laid out, and it looks like it includes clamps which presumably you can tighten. But dump the tanks first and flush out the black tank before you start; otherwise it's very nasty!
The book is here:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf
Look on page IV-18 for the diagram.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
There are a couple of places it could leak. The most likely is the connection between the 3" black pipe to the macerator. This pipe is not smooth on the inside, but rather has ribs, and it makes it very hard to make a tight connection to the macerator. Not only do you have to tighten the clamp, but it has to be in just the right position not to leak. I replaced it with Kanaflex 300 EPDM, which has a smooth interior, and no more leaks.

The second suspect is the macerator itself. If it has been exposed to freezing temperatures after use without draining the hose, it can be damaged. This is true even if you tried using antifreeze, if the temperatures get very cold. This is because there is at least a gallon or more of liquid that constantly remains in the hose to to tank's valves, since the pump is at the same level, and you can't pump liquid with half air and half liquid.

I am on my third pump. The first was damaged by freezing, and the second was damaged when one of the four bolts snapped off that held it together (I'm not sure what caused that). Both symptoms were leaks coming from the pump.

If you get underneath and take a look, you should be able to see where the leak is coming from. It's not that hard to fix, but stand back when you loosen the clamps, or you will get a face full of liquid that won't be very pleasant.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'm on Anna Maria Island this week so can't come to you but when I dump my tanks this morning, will look to see what might be the cause. I suspect either a loose clamp or screw or something has cracked it like hitting a "gator" like I had the misfortune to do on the way down. Fortunately the only damage seems to be some black streaks down the side and it loosened the exhaust hanger at the end of the tail pipe. First time I've ever seen the birth of a "gator" on the hiway. Semi was about 150 yds in front of me and there was a loud bang when the tread came off. Fortunately it came to rest on the right edge on my lane but since there were vehicles on both sides, I could just edge over to the left of my lane and caught part of it down the right side and both tires hit it. Very jarring.

If one of those goes under the van, then there's no telling how much damage it could wreak.
Anna Maria in Bradenton? It's hot today )))
Be careful with the gators!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Hello Mr. B, the Interstate Parts Book has a pretty good diagram showing how the waste plumbing is laid out, and it looks like it includes clamps which presumably you can tighten. But dump the tanks first and flush out the black tank before you start; otherwise it's very nasty!
The book is here:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf
Look on page IV-18 for the diagram.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
ABSOLUTELY valuable information!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
There are a couple of places it could leak. The most likely is the connection between the 3" black pipe to the macerator. This pipe is not smooth on the inside, but rather has ribs, and it makes it very hard to make a tight connection to the macerator. Not only do you have to tighten the clamp, but it has to be in just the right position not to leak. I replaced it with Kanaflex 300 EPDM, which has a smooth interior, and no more leaks.

The second suspect is the macerator itself. If it has been exposed to freezing temperatures after use without draining the hose, it can be damaged. This is true even if you tried using antifreeze, if the temperatures get very cold. This is because there is at least a gallon or more of liquid that constantly remains in the hose to to tank's valves, since the pump is at the same level, and you can't pump liquid with half air and half liquid.

I am on my third pump. The first was damaged by freezing, and the second was damaged when one of the four bolts snapped off that held it together (I'm not sure what caused that). Both symptoms were leaks coming from the pump.

If you get underneath and take a look, you should be able to see where the leak is coming from. It's not that hard to fix, but stand back when you loosen the clamps, or you will get a face full of liquid that won't be very pleasant.
I looked again today, and the clamp which connects pipe to the pump is okay, but leaking is going from under the macerator. I would like to remove the macer.pump to look on it. If you are already on your third motor, by now you are able to do it with the closed eyes ))). If it's not hard for you to briefly explain what me to start from?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
That, indeed, sounds like a leaky pump. You can buy a kit to repair it, but it costs about half as much as a new pump, and it didn't look very easy to do, so I just bought a new one.

Here goes on the removal and replacement:

If removing and replacing, you will need to cut the two wires from the motor that go into a harness. You will have to splice back into these wires if you replace the pump.

Then, loosen the clamp that holds the 3" pipe to the pump. It will start to leak, but will only really get going when you push it off the pump. About a gallon or two of fairly disgusting liquid will pour out, so be ready. You can do the next step, and it may be easier then to remove it form the hose after the pump is loose. If you can, I'd try to remove it now and get rid of the liquid in the pipe.

The pump itself is held on with four bolts on the motor on each corner that are attached to threaded studs welded to the bottom of the bracket. There are also four rubber-type washers under the bolts. To remove, you simply take wrench and remove the bolts, pull up on the pump from the studs and set it aside.

To replace, just reverse the steps.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Anna Maria in Bradenton? It's hot today )))
Be careful with the gators!
Not bad, about 90*. Probably warmer where you are. No gators. Just the ones on the road from the trucks.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Gmillerok, thanks a lot, it sounds very good so I will do it. But I have to buy a new pump before testing the black fluid )))
Which pump fits there, and where you bought it?

Marc, enjoy your stay in my Florida! )
Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I forgot, you also have to loosen the clamp that hold the smaller 1.25" hose that goes to the reel and pull the hose off. Be sure to check it's not leaking from there as well (confirm the clamp is tight). It's was very difficult to remove and replace that hose on the outlet on the pump, but it will fit back on.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Got it. Thank you!
Will post pictures once I start to play yammi )))
Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
The REPORT of playing a mechanic )))

I am sorry I cannot fulfill more than one photopicture in a single post, therefore will post several times in a row.

At first, I bought 16 ton Rhino Rumps in a local parts store, and few jack stands, for lifting and supporting the heavy van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	265960  
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Moon , Moon
Rumps accommodate 8 inches lifting so I was able to get underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	265961