Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsquare View Post
On my 2016 Grand Tour, the black tank flush check valve was installed backwards. Since there was no dealer close by, I repaired it myself. The check valve is about 18" above the floor on the street side behind the refrigerator and freezer. I removed the freezer (below the refrigerator) by taking out a few screws and sliding it out and forward to gain access. There are PEX connectors, so if you don't have the crimp tool, there are replacement fittings at Home Depot. The check valve was fine, just backwards.
I found a vacuum breaker valve along with the check valve. Both of these valves appear to be installed backwards. The supply line is on the right and the bottom line goes to the tank. You can see the water flow arrow on the valve going away from the tank. I don't know why you would need the vacuum break anyway as the check valve would prevent anything from the tank coming back out. I think the plastic float in the vac valve would hang up and cause a leak before the spring in the check valve would. I am going to replace the vacuum valve with just a 90 elbow so I won't have to change the Pex tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160712_084710.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	266571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160712_084841.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	266572  

Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
I found a vacuum breaker valve along with the check valve. Both of these valves appear to be installed backwards. The supply line is on the right and the bottom line goes to the tank. You can see the water flow arrow on the valve going away from the tank. I don't know why you would need the vacuum break anyway as the check valve would prevent anything from the tank coming back out. I think the plastic float in the vac valve would hang up and cause a leak before the spring in the check valve would. I am going to replace the vacuum valve with just a 90 elbow so I won't have to change the Pex tubing.

From your pictures I can't tell which line goes to the black tank. Is you back flush not working? Have you checked to see if you are actually getting a back flush in the black tank? It is easy to check. Just hook up a hose to the back flush inlet in the hose reel compartment, turn on water to this hose to start back flush. Then go inside bath and open toilet valve and you should be able to hear the water rushing into the black tank right under the toilet. If you do then the system is working properly.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The vacuum break is likely an attempt to provide a code-compliant apparatus that would protect a potable water system hooked up to supply the flush water. A single check valve does not meet a code requirement for this service. The combination comes close.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Correction. The codes I refer to are directed at residence and industrial applications. Jurisdictional authority comes under the supplier/purveyor so I guess it can push into "best practice" for an RV. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
The vacuum break is likely an attempt to provide a code-compliant apparatus that would protect a potable water system hooked up to supply the flush water. A single check valve does not meet a code requirement for this service. The combination comes close.
Boxster,. No water to the spray head in the tank was what started this.

If the check valve hadn't been installed backwards on the vacuum / anti siphon valve and the water supply plumbed to outlet instead of the inlet it would have been spraying water everywhere behind freezer.

I agree about the code requirement but there is no fresh water to contaminate when the hose is disconnected.