Old 09-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Does the engine change every year or two or is it just the computer controller emissions equipment?

If all diesels had DEF systems would there be a need for bio blends?

Kelvin

I think the bio blending has more to do with politics and reducing reliance on foreign oil than with the environment. Someone else can chime in here but I think even 100% bio-fuel would still pollute, it would just be a different mix of offending particles.......

And regarding earlier Sprinters being ok to use anything above B5, that's not the case. MB never approved the use of anything greater than 5% bio, apparently due to concerns over production quality, per some articles on the subject, but I find that interesting because it somewhat contradicts the other story about sludging. What ever the case really is, MB never approved above B5 in its diesel Sprinters and problems that arise from using it will apparently void your warranty, so be warned.........

Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
I think the article from which FlyFishinRVr extracted the quote above is worth reading in full: http://breakingenergy.com/2014/07/30...ame-biodiesel/

Infuriating that our engines will be ruined just so ignorant people can feel good about themselves, saving the planet.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Bio diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
I think the article from which FlyFishinRVr extracted the quote above is worth reading in full: http://breakingenergy.com/2014/07/30...ame-biodiesel/

Actually my source for that info came straight from Mercedes Benz. Take note of their comment on page 8 of that doc that states "Due to quality variations........"

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA..._Brochure5.pdf
Old 09-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Actually my source for that info came straight from Mercedes Benz....

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA..._Brochure5.pdf
Very interesting brochure, thanks for the link. It seems to have been used as a source document for the article I linked.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post

Infuriating that our engines will be ruined just so ignorant people can feel good about themselves, saving the planet.
Your rath is misdirected. It is the farming and bio refinery industry that have pushed the bio fuel mandate. It is profit, not environmental, that is to blame. It is not ignorance, but greed. Harvesting mass amounts of plants for fuel is actually harmful to the environment as much if not more so than fossil fuels.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Your rath is misdirected. It is the farming and bio refinery industry that have pushed the bio fuel mandate. It is profit, not environmental, that is to blame. It is not ignorance, but greed. Harvesting mass amounts of plants for fuel is actually harmful to the environment as much if not more so than fossil fuels.
Incorrect. Check the biomass industry fueled by environmentalists who cut down trees for fuel rather than use gas or coal.see the multimillion dollar biomass plant in Gainesville Florida for example. Sits idle now because the power produced is too expensive to sell, as well as burning up tons of biomass, trees, etc. all because of the environmentalists in the local govt. We could of had clean coal or gas instead.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Even environmentalists can have problems with greed.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
It is perfectly normal for farmers and those willing to invest in agricultural processing to seek to maximize their profits. This is not greed, it is the economic impetus on which human welfare is built.

The lunacy of biofuels is attributable to the moral narcissism of those who ignorantly seek simplistic solutions to complex problems. I don't think it's warranted to criticize those who simply take practical, lawful advantage of societal stupidity.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I must admit I've never met a cold, hungry environmentalist. Just saying...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
i must admit i've never met a cold, hungry environmentalist. Just saying...

Sent from my pocket internet using airstream forums

😀👍😉
Old 09-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Also note that fully 50% of all humans are below average intelligence. That explains a lot of political correctness, IMHO.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I wonder if biodiesel is subsidized . . .

If it isn't, then the folks are just taking advantage of an opportunity to make money selling french fry oil. If it is then, it's just politicians buying votes from those in that lower 50% like they do w/ E10 to E85.

I haven't seen any studies showing if biodiesel is a positive energy equation unlike ethanol production which is negative which doesn't help w/ oil imports.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

If it isn't, then the folks are just taking advantage of an opportunity to make money selling french fry oil. If it is then, it's just politicians buying votes from those in that lower 50% like they do w/ E10 to E85.

I haven't seen any studies showing if biodiesel is a positive energy equation unlike ethanol production which is negative which doesn't help w/ oil imports.
Massive taxpayer subsidies: https://www.iisd.org/gsi/sites/defau..._US_Report.pdf
Old 09-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

There is a fun conspiracy theory rolling around that says the major US (and middle east) oil fields are in accelerating decline and that is the real reason why we see such a big push over the last 5-10 years for alternative energy sources. That theory does a pretty good job of fitting recent trends towards bio-fuels, solar, electric cars, cold fusion reactors, fuel cells, etc., but it conveniently ignores the boom in US fracking, shale, etc. Still, it's a fun theory to kick around......