Old 04-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bike racks for Interstate

Can you provide link to thread for bike rack recommendations for a 2015 Interstate Ext? Or make recommendations--max of two bikes, Electra townies, and possibly electric bikes in future. Access to back doors is needed.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
We have a Thule swing rack...swings out of the way to allow full access to rear doors. Google it and you'll find it. Sorry, don't have the model number handy.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Bike Rack

Installed on hitch of an Interstate, right?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlivy View Post
Installed on hitch of an Interstate, right?
yes.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Whatever you buy, get a quality rack. Nothing worse than getting flagged down to be told your bikes fell of or are dragging because the bike rack broke. Expensive. Jim
Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
I used this rack on the tear drop trailer I towed with my Interstate last summer. Towed over 8500 miles without a problem and when acccess to the rear of the teardrop was required, the rack simply folded back. Weighs 11 lbs. Can fit two bikes. My version fits 3. Going to use it again this summer, but hitched into the Interstate for a 6000 mile trip.

Products » Beta | Küat
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
We have a nice Saris hitch rack for our SUV, but didn't want to block the rear door access on AI. (Now I"m going to have to check out WeirdStuff's Thule suggestion). So we went with Dahon Speed7 folding bikes, which fit side-by-side in their "carrying" cases in the back of our EXT Very happy, and pleasantly surprised with their performance, including some relatively tough hills in Brown County Indiana State park. It's a trade off though, because you do give up that storage space if you put the bikes there.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Very interesting suggestion by weirdstuff. I'm now looking at sketches and one photo of the Thule swing-away, and wondering if it clears both rear doors on the AI, allowing them to open how far? Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
I bought the Kuat 2 Bike NV Rack. Rock solid; mount/remove in a minute; built in repair stand, bikes go on/off in seconds. With bikes removed I can tilt the rack down and open the right door fully (usually--it seems to depend on how the vehicle is sitting, but I'm not sure what affects it). Not cheap, but high marks for ease of use, at least so far.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

AI bike racks

Thanks for all responses. Confirmed to me that my specs of Swing Away (not partial tilt down) held by tires rather than hanging from frame, needs to be on the market and isn't. We measured the Thule 916 and would have to remove bikes and still couldn't open doors more than a few inches. Needs 8+" of clearance from top of hitch to bottom of doors. Both Thule and Yamika had about 7". I can see why parking on a slope might help.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

2015 Interstate Coach
Ormond Beach , Florida
Might be late on this but recently was looking for a rack that will swing out enough to clear the doors. After talking to several rack manufacturers, the only one that will clear the doors (vertical rise from the stinger) and swing out enough to clear the doors when open is the Thule Vertex or Apex swing 4 rack. Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
bike racks

I use a Saris 2 bike tray rack and it holds my electra townie and an electric assist bike. The electric bike is heavy ..approx. 45# so it occupies the inside tray. The Saris Freedom super clamp tray rack works great for me. The rack comes with a built in lock for the hitch and also a retractable built-in bike lock which uses the same key. The clamps easily fold down for access to the back doors.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Mount Washington , Kentucky
Installed this last fall, used a half dozen times. Sturdy, great for two bikes and swings away with bikes on. Easy to mount and remove bikes.

http://www.heininger.biz/sportsrack_glideaway2.php

Cons - definitely not elegant, bikes can bang into doors or van side if you are not watching what you are doing. Separately purchased hitch lock has a sliding key cover that can not fully slide open due to lack off space, so in order to access the key hole I had to remove half of the key cover. The rack does not have a feature to run a bike lock cable through, I will be adding one in the next few weeks.

All that said, I am extremely happy with it, especially when loading the back or just opening it up to get a hose or cord.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Someone on a Roadtrek forum had a front receiver built by a welder and had a tray bike rack on the front. They said visibility was not affected.