Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
Someone on a Roadtrek forum had a front receiver built by a welder and had a tray bike rack on the front. They said visibility was not affected.
Plus the June bugs add a nice protective coating to the bikes.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I just got the heavy duty 2 bike model from 1Up USA. I have never seen a rack this solid. It is a tray type with folding arms to grip the top of the tires. Takes about 10 seconds to load or unload the bikes. Very expensive rack. Rear doors will not clear, even in the fold-away (with bikes attached). Lots of video reviews on the web.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #17
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a bike rack on ours for a number of years, but hated the extra length it created, the inability to access the rear doors, and the assault our bikes took from weather and road grime.

We went to fairly inexpensive Citizen folding bikes in 2013....easy in, easy out, kept us compact and our bikes clean.

I now leave mine open and ready to use all the time, carry it in the rear, and it is lightweight enough that I can manage it easily by myself.

Just a thought.

Maggie
Old 05-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
Very interesting suggestion by weirdstuff. I'm now looking at sketches and one photo of the Thule swing-away, and wondering if it clears both rear doors on the AI, allowing them to open how far? Thanks for the suggestion!
It allows you to open the left hand door all the way, like normal. Allows the right hand door to open to just over 90 degrees, if I remember correctly. So, yes, full access.

You do have to be careful when you swing the rack, because the handlebars of the first bike on the rack, will hit the side of the van and cause a scuff mark.

The rack was perfect for us, except that it does add on another couple feet of length to the rig.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #19

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Eastvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
I just got the heavy duty 2 bike model from 1Up USA. I have never seen a rack this solid. It is a tray type with folding arms to grip the top of the tires. Takes about 10 seconds to load or unload the bikes. Very expensive rack. Rear doors will not clear, even in the fold-away (with bikes attached). Lots of video reviews on the web.
@jdthor, I was thinking about getting a 1Up. Does the doors still clear without the bikes? I saw the specs on IUp being 4.5 inches from the hitch. TIA
Old 08-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Trying to Retire

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Anyone try those hatchback carriers on front? I get in/out of back doors waaaay more than open the hood.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Today I decided on which bike rack our Interstate is going to have:

***NONE***.

After seeing James's (The Fit RV's) newest video on folding bikes, in which he featured the Brompton and the Tern, I visited our local bike shop to take a look at the Brompton and discovered this amazing fact:

IT FITS INSIDE OUR INTERSTATE'S CLOSET!

^^ The closet door is off and the wires are hanging because we're still working on the lithium system, but there's your proof.

I chose the "New York Edition" of the Brompton which is not the lowest-end model, but it has super-wide handle bars, which I'm going to need for off-road use - I need the stability. I test-drove a lower-end model and it was also excellent, but with 16" wheels and such a long rise, if the handlebars are narrow, that's going to be trouble on any dirt road or trail. This model also has a large detachable carry bag which appealed to me greatly. It attaches to the frame, not the handle bars, for stability.

There certainly are cheaper foldables but (a) I need rugged for trail use, so I went higher-end, and (b) I don't know if any other models would fit in the closet. If every last piece of the bike does not fold, including seat and at least one pedal, it would not fit in our closet - it's that close. But if someone is planning on doing light road biking only, you might get away with spending considerably less on a foldable.

Bear in mind also that if you get a foldable that fits inside your rig, you save yourself the cost of a high-quality bike rack and whatever else you have to sacrifice to use it (such as not being able to use a hitch carrier at the same time).

What I plan to do is proof-of-concept and put it through its paces, and then if I / we decide we are truly happy with this, then maybe we get one for my husband as well. And carrying a second one wouldn't be any trouble at all, either:

^^ You can see that I could easily create a protective sack and a secure lashing system using Pewag security chain to affix it to the open side of our existing hitch carrier. It would be an easy project, and not very expensive. And we'd still get to carry our Yeti.

Anyway, I'm excited. The bike rides surprisingly well. I'm not a big bike person, but this opens up a world of possibilities and is now effectively becoming a toad alternative.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
We have a hitch bike carrier that pivots down. Possible, but not real convenient, to get into the back. I run a 1" nylon strap from one door hinge and through the carrier and up to the other door hinge. I cinch it tight to keep the bike rack from constantly bouncing up and down. Figured that if the hinges can support the swinging doors they can certainly help to stabilize the bike rack.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
I used a duel hitch extension and removed the "duel hitch"(Harbor Freight) with a grinder. This extension with a Swagman bike rack just barely clears the doors. I tighten it all down with a trailer hitch tightener. Was worried about bounce but does not seem to be a problem. The Swagman works well but is not the quality of the high end carriers. It's about $150 if I remember correctly. I'm not carrying high end bikes so it works well. I like to ride on mountain trails so folding bikes are out of the question.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurl View Post
... I like to ride on mountain trails so folding bikes are out of the question.
That's what I had assumed initially. But this guy cycled from Europe to China across Tajikistan on the folding bike model that I just bought. He described the largely unpaved route as "an acid test for both the material of the bikes and the courage of its drivers".

Within days of purchasing mine, I upgraded its tubes and tires, as the OEMs were clearly intended for pavement-only use, and my intention is off-road. I also replaced the original seat with a Cloud 9 "Lady" seat. The wider fanny area helps to promote stability and offset the effects of the smaller tires.

I intend to put mine through its mountain paces, and I'll report back on any weaknesses I find.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
That's interesting! Thanks. If I am looking for new bikes I will reconsider.
I had my bikes before the AI so I try to make do with what I have.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Kuat BETA Rack

We've been using this rack for awhile now. Sturdy, loads and offloads easily; with bikes off and pin removed both back doors open fully ... was looking for complete foldaway with wheel support, but this has worked for our two road bikes while traveling up and down Florida -- highly recommend the Kuat BETA Rack with a Kuat UBAR for each bike!

Was thinking of the Kuat NV with this: http://rakattach.com but might just stick with what we have in the BETA and UBAR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3334.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	281100  
Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
We also wanted the ability to clear the rear doors completely and found for the us the best solution consisted of a combination of a RakAttach and a Thule bike rack. Yes, this extends the vehicle, but we find the functionality to be excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	281109  
Old 03-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
RakAttach and Holllywood Bike Rack for Fat tire bikes. I have a tire carrier on drivers side door (outside). Strongly suggest you firmly tie upper portion of bikes to door hinges or something high up if you use type of rack that supports the tires to eliminate any shaking of the bikes.
I also use a double hitch (vertical) so I can use a tray below the bikes for chairs, small barbecue, and any other light items. Large RakAttach is weight limit 300 pounds.
Really like setup and have experimented with others. This is the best for my Sondors electric bikes.
AEW