Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Protagonist can you point us toward a couple of these courses you reference?
Here's a large selection of different types of driving.

Here's another.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5ME View Post
Ever thought about a 45. A Colt .45 Cal ACP will get bad guys attention fast. I know, I just opened a fire storm. Caution in SC, you never know who is legally armed and carrying.
That's called brandishing a firearm and is illegal just about everywhere.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Another scam is the "rock hit my windshield scam". A couple summers ago I was heading out of Redding CA to Lassen National Park. I pulled into a rest stop and a car with male and female came right in next to me and slammed on the breaks. He pointed to his windshield. With not another sole around at this back woods rest stop, I played it cool.

I was calm and we exchanged info. Before I even pulled into Lassen, about 20 min up the road, I got a message on my phone from my insurance company.

The scammer claimed that he was going the opposite direction and a rock flew out from my MH and broke his windshield. His windshield had a small rock hit and a nick on the hood straight in line with the hit on the windshield, so for one, it would have been impossible for my MH to launch a rock and hit his car in that direction especially with a 10 ft rear overhang and mud flaps that hand a half inch off the ground. Second, the entire windshield was smashed from what looked just like two baseball bat hits to the glass!

Here is what I believe happened...the girl friend bashed in the windshield of the boyfriend's car the night before during a pot induced domestic fight...that happens a lot up in the north state these days! The youngters were afraid to tell daddy the truth.

Bottom line, I told the insurance company the situation and the facts as I saw them. She agreed it was scam. Insurance company didn't pay. Besides, she asked me all the questions of whether or not I was hauling a load of rocks or anything similar. She told me in no uncertain terms that even if my tire had thrown a rock, in the state of Calif, that is a road hazard that the "offending" driver is NOT responsible for.

Beware out there folks!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
First of all on my big trucks if the rocks didn't fall off the load (they can't as we are tarped) but come from the tires,that is a road hazard, end of story.Last spring after returning from San Diego I recieved a phone call from my insurance co. adjuster telling me of me being involved in a hit and run, I says oh , where and when , answer was Las Vegas on a date in March ..I had to tell him not to pay as I had not been there in 35 years and he could come out and see my unit and all fuel and mileage logs I keep.. They didn't pay, it is still on the insurance co.computer,come to find out ,it was a she said he saw and they reported....be careful and keep a diary...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Good thred InterBiog. Reminding us to be careful while driving through cities.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Always amazes me what the bad guys will do for a buck. Either I am getting older or the scams are getting worse.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I permanently mounted a Delorme dash cam after the last close call. I am just sick and tired of rude stupid distracted drivers. Can't dispute video. Whether it ultimately helps or not doesn't matter to me as much as documenting the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:53 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5ME View Post
Ever thought about a 45. A Colt .45 Cal ACP will get bad guys attention fast. I know, I just opened a fire storm. Caution in SC, you never know who is legally armed and carrying.
Yes, you may have started an unnecessary firestorm. Why would you make such an irresponible suggestion? Didn't your daddy ever tell you to keep the weapon holstered unless you intend to use it?
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ten-ner View Post
I've tried a few dash cams and came up with the same conclusion.

But then I've spend some money and bought a BlackVue DR530W 2-CH HD/HD two years ago.
With 400 CAD quite expensive but so far so good.

A dash cam is something I'd highly recommend. For many reasons.

so long
j-ten-ner
... and if you have an older iphone or android device, or not using your current one as your GPS source, consider turning it into your dashcam. A number of good apps exist for the use with a wide variety of features. While they don't have the features of an installed unit, such as continual monitoring when the vehicle is off, I find they work well enough for a forward/reverse cam combo in my vehicle while traveling.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
That's called brandishing a firearm and is illegal just about everywhere.
True, even with a carry permit. Different if you are in an open carry state.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
True, even with a carry permit. Different if you are in an open carry state.
Not in a vehicle. Showing it to other drivers by holding it up where it's visible in your hand is still brandishment.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What do you do if someone is trying to wreck you. Just let them or pull out a gun and show them that if you pull over that they won't come out on top. I had a guy get mad because he tried to pass me on the right hand side while I was trying to make a lane change. Then then he proceeded to get in front and slam on his brakes. Then he would block me when I tried to make lane changes to get away from him. Pulling out a gun was the only thing that got him off my back. It was a last resort. I was pulling a small trailer in an SUV and had my family in the car. I am supposed to pull over and let this guy do whatever he wants to me and my family even though I have the means to protect us? This was just some yahoo that was bored and wanted to harass someone.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I got a little spooked reading the post at the end of the first page where the passenger got out of the car and walked into the shadows behind the driver. That's really scary and made me realize that I (the passenger in Interblog's post) didn't have a firearm within reach when we nearly wrecked our van. In future encounters if my wife is driving, I think I will get out of the car and back away from the scene (staying visible) while my wife addresses the other driver(s) from within the car.

I've had firearm instructors in both schools of thought. Some say never draw your weapon if you aren't going to fire. Another instructor believed that while you should be prepared to fire, if in the split second after you draw, the introduction of a firearm causes the perp to run or stand down, there is no reason to take their life. I'm generally in the first school of thought but respect the second. Hopefully I never have to make that decision.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Pulling out a gun was the only thing that got him off my back.
I'm not going to debate the relative merits of showing a gun and using the threat of deadly force to avoid a fender-bender. I think it's a bad idea that could have gotten you jailed for road rage. You think it's a good idea. Neither of us will convince the other.

But this comes back to my recommendation of taking defensive driving courses. If you insist on maintaining a proper following distance even when some idiot tries to mess with you the way you describe, it takes all the fun out of it for him, because there would be no close call for him to get a thrill from. Likewise, if someone cuts in front of you closer than you'd like, your first instinct should be to slow down to increase your following distance, even before he can slam on the brakes, because you'll see him make his move before he's in position. When you drive defensively, you will have a better handle on all the traffic around you so you're less likely to be surprised by "swoop and squat" maneuvers, and you will also have a better handle on your possible escape maneuvers in the event you are surprised.

Here's an example from my personal experience. Just as you described, some yahoo cut me off and stomped his brakes, on I-10 in Kenner, Louisiana. But I was already slowing down to get back my following distance even as he started changing lanes, and avoided rear-ending him. He then proceeded to tool along down the Interstate at a mere 30mph, in violation of the 40mph minimum speed limit. I tried to get around, and he changed lanes to cut me off. I tried again, and he cut me off again. Repeat I don't remember how many times. Finally, a third car was coming up in the next lane over, and I took my chance. When the third car's right front fender was even with the yahoo's left rear fender, I changed lanes behind the third car. The yahoo was blocked from changing lanes and cutting me off again by the third car in his blind spot, and the game ended. It's true that the yahoo sideswiped the third car, and I do feel kind of bad for that. But the way I justify it, I didn't cause the accident between the yahoo and the third driver, the yahoo did. HE should have been driving defensively as well, and if he had he would have known that his lane change was blocked.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #35
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
From reading these posts it seems that most of them happen in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama or Florida. I just stay away from those places.

I hear banjos.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
With all the crazies in the world, you are lucky he didn't pull out an AK47 and blow you and your family away. Realize that someone in that frame of mind is not exactly using good judgment. Since there are so many guns out on the street (enough that every man, women and child in the entire country could have one), it's more than likely than not the person you are challenging may have one to return fire. And with the over-crowding of the prisons with non-violent drug offenders, there are a lot of violent offenders out that shouldn't be as well. Put the two together with cheap cars and gas, and you have a perfect storm for someone innocent to get killed. A 4 year was shot and killed in Arizona recently in a road rage incident, as I'm sure everyone knows. Her father without thinking flipped off the other driver when he was cut off. And for what? An instant of anger over being cut off by some worthless jerk?

The best way is to avoid escalating the situation. If that means back down, then that's a better solution than getting into a running gun battle where you or a family member could be killed.

When some jerk cuts you off (or alternatively, thinks you did something and causes him to go berserk) the best way to handle it is to ignore the finger gesture coming from or to him, or maybe try waiving to acknowledge blame whether right or wrong, back off the accelerator and let him go on down the road. If that doesn't work, call 911 and get help. It's hard to do, and is not the most natural response. But it may keep you or someone in your family from getting killed.

It's simply not worth the risk to challenge some nut driving down the road that may have just got fired or just caught his wife cheating, or just got a notice his parole is being revoked, and who is looking for a fight and wiling to take it out on you.

Anyway, that's my opinion. You may disagree, and that's certainly your right to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
What do you do if someone is trying to wreck you. Just let them or pull out a gun and show them that if you pull over that they won't come out on top. I had a guy get mad because he tried to pass me on the right hand side while I was trying to make a lane change. Then then he proceeded to get in front and slam on his brakes. Then he would block me when I tried to make lane changes to get away from him. Pulling out a gun was the only thing that got him off my back. It was a last resort. I was pulling a small trailer in an SUV and had my family in the car. I am supposed to pull over and let this guy do whatever he wants to me and my family even though I have the means to protect us? This was just some yahoo that was bored and wanted to harass someone.

Perry
Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #37
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not in a vehicle. Showing it to other drivers by holding it up where it's visible in your hand is still brandishment.
I thought in New Orleans it is how you distinguish the "crewes" they are with??

Returning you to the banter. ...

Never "draw" your weapon without need (life threatening situation).. And ensure you and your loved ones you were protecting from the LIFE THREATENING ASSAULT are "judged by 12, not carried by 6".

Oh, yes, get the "insurance"..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
A 4 year was shot and killed in Arizona recently in a road rage incident, as I'm sure everyone knows.
It wasn't in Arizona. It was in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thanks for the correction. I think that is what make my advice even more accurate. It wasn't east LA or some other high crime area, but exactly where you would never expect it to happen, proving it can happen anywhere. I've driven though there many times-great city and people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
It wasn't in Arizona. It was in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
It's shocking how many of us have encountered this problem. Unfortunately, a dash cam wouldn't help much. The bottom line is that your front bumper hit their car. That's all that matters to Law Enforcement and Insurance companies. If they made several attempts as in Protagonist's case. The dash cam would clearly show it was no accident. Remember...... Always let karma do the ''dirty'' work..... Karma shows no mercy...I've seen it work..... I'm sure we all have.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote