Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
James Island , South Carolina
Ever thought about a 45. A Colt .45 Cal ACP will get bad guys attention fast. I know, I just opened a fire storm. Caution in SC, you never know who is legally armed and carrying.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5ME View Post
Ever thought about a 45. A Colt .45 Cal ACP will get bad guys attention fast. I know, I just opened a fire storm. Caution in SC, you never know who is legally armed and carrying.
You've seen way too many action/adventure movies if you think for even a moment that carrying a firearm will help prevent vehicular accidents.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Protagonist can you point us toward a couple of these courses you reference?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Ditto Kansas.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
The National Safety Council-certified courses are generally good. And your insurance company may offer you a discount for taking them. Be sure to ask your agent.

Find a Driver Safety Course
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I also drive in the Houston area. This very thing happen to me. I was on I45 when a van full of people moved over 4 lanes and slammed on his brakes. When I saw him coming over I slowed down and was able to slammed on my brakes in time to stop and not hit him. The poor guy in the truck behind me did not have a chance and hit me. All 3 of us pulled over and the guy in the van jumped out and grabbed his neck. The van was full of people. Then I delivered the news to the van driver that I never hit the van.
He got down and ran his hand all over his bumper. The truck that hit me turned out to be a fire chief for the Houston Fire Department. Once the van driver saw the chief they jumped in their van and drove off, Just as the police pulled in behind the fire chief. Although I thought I was ok I ended up with a concussion and 2 weeks in bed.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Here's a large selection of different types of driving.

Here's another.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
That's called brandishing a firearm and is illegal just about everywhere.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Another scam is the "rock hit my windshield scam". A couple summers ago I was heading out of Redding CA to Lassen National Park. I pulled into a rest stop and a car with male and female came right in next to me and slammed on the breaks. He pointed to his windshield. With not another sole around at this back woods rest stop, I played it cool.

I was calm and we exchanged info. Before I even pulled into Lassen, about 20 min up the road, I got a message on my phone from my insurance company.

The scammer claimed that he was going the opposite direction and a rock flew out from my MH and broke his windshield. His windshield had a small rock hit and a nick on the hood straight in line with the hit on the windshield, so for one, it would have been impossible for my MH to launch a rock and hit his car in that direction especially with a 10 ft rear overhang and mud flaps that hand a half inch off the ground. Second, the entire windshield was smashed from what looked just like two baseball bat hits to the glass!

Here is what I believe happened...the girl friend bashed in the windshield of the boyfriend's car the night before during a pot induced domestic fight...that happens a lot up in the north state these days! The youngters were afraid to tell daddy the truth.

Bottom line, I told the insurance company the situation and the facts as I saw them. She agreed it was scam. Insurance company didn't pay. Besides, she asked me all the questions of whether or not I was hauling a load of rocks or anything similar. She told me in no uncertain terms that even if my tire had thrown a rock, in the state of Calif, that is a road hazard that the "offending" driver is NOT responsible for.

Beware out there folks!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
First of all on my big trucks if the rocks didn't fall off the load (they can't as we are tarped) but come from the tires,that is a road hazard, end of story.Last spring after returning from San Diego I recieved a phone call from my insurance co. adjuster telling me of me being involved in a hit and run, I says oh , where and when , answer was Las Vegas on a date in March ..I had to tell him not to pay as I had not been there in 35 years and he could come out and see my unit and all fuel and mileage logs I keep.. They didn't pay, it is still on the insurance co.computer,come to find out ,it was a she said he saw and they reported....be careful and keep a diary...
Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Good thred InterBiog. Reminding us to be careful while driving through cities.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Always amazes me what the bad guys will do for a buck. Either I am getting older or the scams are getting worse.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I permanently mounted a Delorme dash cam after the last close call. I am just sick and tired of rude stupid distracted drivers. Can't dispute video. Whether it ultimately helps or not doesn't matter to me as much as documenting the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Yes, you may have started an unnecessary firestorm. Why would you make such an irresponible suggestion? Didn't your daddy ever tell you to keep the weapon holstered unless you intend to use it?