Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Best wholesale club for frequent travellers

What wholesale club do you like best or find most accessible while travelling? I belong to Costco and some carry propane at a really good price, but no diesel. Does Sam's have diesel? Sam's club has a good holiday promotion for new membership, but not sure I need both. Can you spend the night in their lots? Some Costco's have a liquor store, do Sams? Don't know anything about others, such as BJ's.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I carry both a Costco and a Sam's Club membership card. Both carry a large assortment of alcoholic beverages and other handy stuff for on the road.

As a side note, Sam's carries Charmin Ultrasoft Toilet Tissue, which, last I tried it, works just fine in RV holding tanks. It passes the "quickly dissolves into shards in a shaken jar of water" test.

I have not tried to camp out in either parking lot personally, but Sam's Club is a division of Walmart, and I have seen the occasional RV parked in the Sam's lot where I live. As always, I'd ask before hanging out overnight...in any parking lot.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Costco is a long way from me, and I quit Sam's Club.
I quit because no one was ever available to help with an item, and they never had an express lane. So you might have three items but be stuck behind the restaurant owner with a trolly full of paper plates and assorted food.
Yes, they had liquor, but very limited brands.
I also complained about their shelves stocked with obviously damaged goods, and they refused to stop.
They didn't want me any more either. Now that store closed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
We use costco frequently when traveling.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. The Sam's Club I go to has both self-checkout (express lanes of sorts) and the iPhone checkout App that lets you scan and pay for everything except alcohol and discount items. Never have a problem getting in and out quickly.

Not surprising that they closed if it was that sloppy.

Mollysdad, How long ago did you have the issue?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
I have a Costco card and daughter has Sam's. Since she travels with us most of the time, we got both covered and have not needed anything else. No diesel in Costco's around us. But the Sam's close to us has diesel.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Used to have both. Found Sam's easier to park at with the trailer and the gas pumps were more accessible in most cases. Like the product selection and level of customer service at Costco much more. Sam's closed the store in my area, so we cancelled that membership.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I pay for COSTCO and my wife pays for Sams. I much prefer COSTCO and my Sams card is seldom used.

One exception is trips north. We leave our home SW of Austin at 9 am to miss the worst of work traffic. Our lunch stop is the Sams in Waco which we reach close to 12:00. Always parking and we can pick up anything we realize we have forgotten.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Sam's Scan N Go app on the phone is a lifesaver. You scan your items yourself while you shop. Pay and leave. So much better than waiting in long lines. With that said, I feel like Sam's Club is more available than Costco in the Midwest. I have Costco card too. Each club has its advantages. I like the food selection better at Costco.
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
We have Sam's only, but their gas prices are not that low. Lately, I've driven past because prices were no lower than the corner stores.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I only have experience with Costco which, by the way, can only sell liquor if the state you are in allows it in big box stores. No in Oregon, but Yes in CA and TX and some others.

I keep this link bookmarked - if you scroll down you can view the Costco locations in each state that carry diesel. https://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html

On average Costsco diesel is about $.24/gal cheaper than the average top brand stations nearby. And, in Oregon where you cannot pump your own gas, you CAN pump your own diesel there. And the best part is... as you pull in, you don't have to hurriedly scan for which pump station has the Diesel handle... because they ALL do !! For the one in Tigard Oregon that means at least a dozen stations x two sides = about 24 lovely green handles, but bring your own paper towel for catching dribbles from the nozzle cause they don't have them out for you. Designed to keep people in their cars and exiting the lanes ASAP.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I keep this link bookmarked - if you scroll down you can view the Costco locations in each state that carry diesel. https://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html
TRONADORA - Thank you for the above link. I have just bookmarked it. I looked up my state NV and why they don't have a single Costco in Las Vegas that carry diesel, I have no idea But the great news is the Costco(s) we frequent in SoCal & NorCal have diesel. I have never paid attention to whether diesel is carried by Costco until now. I will, have to ask our local Costco's why they do not have them.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #13

Oak Hill , Virginia
Costco Diesel

Have seen only one Costco with Diesel....Charlottesville, Virginia. Pretty sure they show up on Gas Buddy. Might be worth a try.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Costco liquor in Texas

The answer about Costco selling liquor in Texas actually is "Well sorta..."

Texas liquor laws are byzantine, the way Costco works around it is by having another company (which they may own, I've no idea) called Western Beverage which operates a liquor store in a different bay of the same building as the Costco locations in Texas. So, to go there you have to walk out of the Costco door and into the liquor-store door (under the same roof) and the liquor store can't be open on Sundays (welcome to Texas) and you can ALSO buy wine inside the Costco part, but the selection is different.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are members of Sam's Club and Costco, and have been for many years. We have found in our extensive Airstream travels that Sam's in more prevalent in the East and Costco is more prevalent in the West. We stop at both when traveling. Some have Diesel, some don't. It's just the luck of the draw.

We are not particularly close to either. We are 40 miles from the nearest Sam's Club and 150 miles from the nearest Costco. We shop both on-line when we are home. We have found that both of these wholesale clubs more than pay for their membership fees.

For example, during the past year, we saved an additional $1,600 on a new Chevrolet Silverado 2500 at a local dealer. Then we also received a $700 Costco gift card after the purchase. We also recently purchased a new Samsung QLED Television. After shopping all the prices on-line, we found that Costco had the best price. Then they included the extended five year warranty. About a month after the purchase, they sent me a $165 gift card.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Costco Canada/US credit card differences

For those Costco members in the US going into Canada, be aware that Costco Canada takes Mastercard and not VISA as in the US. And the reverse it true for those Canadian Costco members traveling to the US.

We encountered this last year trying to fill up at a Costco near Quebec City.

A way around this, if you don't care to apply for another credit card, is to purchase a Costco gift card in the US. Anticipate how much you will need to spend, as it will be difficult to add funds once in Canada unless you use Canadian currency or US currency and accept their exchange rate.

While I can't absolutely vouch that a US Costco gift card will be redeemable in Canada, I do know that the Canadian Costco gift card we purchased (with cash) was honored in the US upon our return.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
What wholesale club do you like best or find most accessible while travelling? I belong to Costco and some carry propane at a really good price, but no diesel. Does Sam's have diesel? Sam's club has a good holiday promotion for new membership, but not sure I need both. Can you spend the night in their lots? Some Costco's have a liquor store, do Sams? Don't know anything about others, such as BJ's.
I haven’t found a COSTCO parking lot that isn’t too small and jammed nor a Costco fuel station where I could fuel up my diesel crew cab with my 29 ‘ Airstream behind me. Sams are the opposite, more parking and easier ingress/egress with 50’ of tv/Airstream rig. However I don’t have a sams club membership any longer and I do have a Costco one.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Our Sams Club has diesel but I am not sure how much volume it does. When possible I frequent stations that (appear to) pump a lot of fuel.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

As a side note, Sam's carries Charmin Ultrasoft Toilet Tissue, which, last I tried it, works just fine in RV holding tanks. It passes the "quickly dissolves into shards in a shaken jar of water" test.
Next, install a Bidet! You'll love it!
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
I haven’t found a COSTCO parking lot that isn’t too small and jammed nor a Costco fuel station where I could fuel up my diesel crew cab with my 29 ‘ Airstream behind me. Sams are the opposite, more parking and easier ingress/egress with 50’ of tv/Airstream rig. However I don’t have a sams club membership any longer and I do have a Costco one.
DCASR - the 3 in Las Vegas are huge lots. Even during Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays, I can find a spot, as long as I don't mind a walk of about a 1-2 blocks. Normal non-holidays, even on weekends, can park really close. But forget SoCal or NorCal. Their lots are all stupidly small. It's a big turn-off for us when using the AI. Even with a normal mid-size car, hard to find parking.