Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Best Towing Servce

Looking for towing insurance. Any recommendations. How is Good Sam?
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Looking for towing insurance. Any recommendations. How is Good Sam?
I like the fact that they cover all household vehicles for a reasonable annual fee. The only time I had to call them was for my Harley Triglide and they did send a flatbed. I did have to spend a bit of time on the phone convincing them that they needed to take me to a Harley dealer that was 50 miles away vs a auto shop that was less than 10 miles. As soon as I got a supervisor on the phone we got it straightened out.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We've always had Good Sam but have never had to use it. A friend with an Interstate did, though, and was pleased with the tow (flat bed) service they arranged.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had AAA when had empty flat bed skid steer trailer fall off truck called for help to raise front so could hook back up they stated no can do, we service only passenger cars nothing else. I cancelled member ship when returned home. Now have towing Ins. with gulf oil co name maybe dif. but every time I submitted claim they have promptly paid no Q. asked, I think max. charge is $60.00 each instance.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I asked the same question perhaps a couple of years ago when the complimentary roadside assistance from Airstream expired. I had lots of responses both positive and negative, but the general consensus was that AAA wasn't so geared up to RVs and was the most expensive; Good Sam service was often spotty, meaning inconsistent, and Coach-Net was more in tune with the need of RVers and was the cheapest.
Good Sam and AAA had towing mileage and frequency limits, whereas Coach-Net didn't.
I chose Coach-Net but so far haven't needed them.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I asked the same question perhaps a couple of years ago when the complimentary roadside assistance from Airstream expired. I had lots of responses both positive and negative, but the general consensus was that AAA wasn't so geared up to RVs and was the most expensive; Good Sam service was often spotty, meaning inconsistent, and Coach-Net was more in tune with the need of RVers and was the cheapest.
Good Sam and AAA had towing mileage and frequency limits, whereas Coach-Net didn't.
I chose Coach-Net but so far haven't needed them.
My understanding is that Good Sam doesn't have mileage limits either.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It will probably be necessary to read the fine print on whatever policy is chosen. The friend I mentioned had a $1,500 towing bill from a remote location and it was paid by Good Sam, but I think he had a certain type of coverage. It's been almost a year since I looked at ours and next month is our renewal month, so this thread is timely and I'm looking forward to hearing more comments and perhaps making more comments depending on what I learn as I'm reviewing it.

There's also the issue of knowledgeability of the tow company that the insurer may send, whether it's a remote geographic location or not. From previous threads, it came to light that it takes two different types of flatbeds to handle a T1N Interstate versus an EXT NCV3 Interstate.

Sure enough, I was at our local MB dealership last week when I saw the former type of flatbed on their lot (it likely came in with someone's Sprinter on it). The tow driver was not available for questioning but I paced it off, and it was pretty much exactly 22 feet by my measurement. Given that it was an inclined flat bed, with the tail hanging down, that's not going to accommodate an EXT safely. So part of this insurance process is having confidence that, if the insurer dispatches a company for a claim, they are the RIGHT company for the job and know the difference on issues like this.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
My understanding is that Good Sam doesn't have mileage limits either.
Perhaps I've forgotten - age is taking over
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I didn't know it 'til I reread my insurance policy but it covered towing, etc.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
My buddy was in Halletsville last summer and his 27' SOB-MH fuel-pump died in the middle of an intersection blocking traffic. When a passing-cop stopped to re-direct traffic and called for a tow-truck at Gary's request... the truck with showed up was HUGE... for an 18-wheeler... and charged him $200 just to pull him out of the intersection one-block into a shopping center parking lot that had a WalMart and an auto-parts store. The tow truck would not accept the State Farm policy voucher for the tow and insisted on cash-right-now.

Gary got his money refunded from State Farm, but it took some explaining.

Fortunately, we were travelling in a caravan, and we were able to get the parts from the nearby parts store (remarkably, they actually had the exact parts needed) and 3 hours late we were all on our way again (in a well-timed downpour!)

Check your policy and/or talk to your agent and have them email the answer so you'll have a copy.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a membership with AAA Premier RV. We love them, especially compared to Coach Net. Had a couple of really poor experiences with CN, won't go back.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Good Sam has been good for us on several occasions all having to do with tires, flats etc. Always friendly attentive to our situation. I was with AAA for 30 years. When I really needed them they said I was not covered for an RV as stated by featherbedder in a prior post. At the time I did not know about any Premier RV. I said being the circumstances as they were could they help me with at least a phone number of someone to help us even if we paid. Absolutely no help. That is why today I have Good Sam and happy. Loyalty, I guess only works one way with some of us. Sad but true.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Good Sam has been good for us on several occasions all having to do with tires, flats etc. Always friendly attentive to our situation. I was with AAA for 30 years. When I really needed them they said I was not covered for an RV as stated by featherbedder in a prior post. At the time I did not know about any Premier RV. I said being the circumstances as they were could they help me with at least a phone number of someone to help us even if we paid. Absolutely no help. That is why today I have Good Sam and happy. Loyalty, I guess only works one way with some of us. Sad but true.
Same thing they told me besides won't do. They tried to keep me as member but old saying 1st time shame on you 2nd time shame on me, no 2nd time. The towing Ins, I quoted in previous post does not specify what can be towed or who to call to have towed, just send bill max I believe $65.00 but cost is only $4.00 per. mo. I have net work of towing co. I can call my area. Out of area rely on info from other sources whom to call. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Related issue - not for towing specifically, but rather for the Good Sam Travel Assist program, which covers logistical (not treatment) expenses for a medical incident on the road.

I just read through the plan description, and then I went through the online materials, and nowhere could I find any indication of what their geographic area of coverage is. Someone had mentioned on some thread that some of these programs only cover incidents within the U.S., so I decided to check on this one. It does say that the toll-free phone number works from the U.S., Canada, PR and the U.S. Virgin Islands, but it doesn't say anything about the range of coverage.

So I called the customer service phone number and the person who answered kept saying the coverage was "national" and I replied, "So it's only for travel within the U.S., then?" and he just kept repeating, "No, it's national - it covers you anywhere you travel."

I don't know that he understood the definition of the word "national". So to take another tact, I said, "Can you refer me to the page in the plan description where it says that?" And he said, "It's not written down anywhere in the plan description."

Ugh. They don't make it easy, do they? I try to read the fine print and I can't even find anyone who can point me toward the fine print.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Ugh. They don't make it easy, do they? I try to read the fine print and I can't even find anyone who can point me toward the fine print.
It's in the invisible ink section.

Try calling them and tell them you need a tow in Italy.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote