Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Best replacement propane refrigerator for Interstate?

Our 2007 Interstate's Dometic 2351 fridge died, and none of the troubleshooting decision trees seem to be bearing fruit, so my question is, if you had to replace a small propane fridge right now, in March 2015, which model would you choose?

Note that with only one coach battery at the present time and no solar capacity, I don't think we have the option to go with a newer all-electric. We have to replace in-kind.

On other threads, I've read complaints about the Dometic's performance, but the problem is that I'm not sure there's anything better out there.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I think the answer is to use the same model because nothing else will fit without modifying the cabinets.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The Dometic RM2351 is still being made, so you could stick with what you had.
Products - Dometic

Or you could upgrade to 3-way power to include a 120v option, by getting the Dometic RM2354— as long as you've got a 120v circuit to plug it into.
Products - Dometic
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I wish the danged thing had waited a little longer before it kicked the bucket. We are still on the fence about whether we want to take out that microwave and expand upward into that space, perhaps with a larger fridge. That requires a bit more ground truth and experience regarding how we will actually use the vehicle.

We first thought it was a front panel problem because the Auto light was clearly flickering. Replaced that part via some independent seller on eBay for about $25.

Next was told by our local RV repair shop to do some coil feel-ups. That plus wisdom from the other recent "Dometic died" thread suggests that it's a bad controller board which costs about $100 to replace.

Every time my husband shows me cell phone pics of some newly-exposed Interstate innards (this time being the area behind the fridge), my first reaction is often, "Oh God - more rust." It's just amazing to me the toll that the natural environment has taken on a vehicle that was hardly ever used. I guess in this case the exacerbating factor is obvious - propane combusted to produce carbon dioxide and WATER vapor - but could the manufacturer not have used just a few stainless parts in the general area of that process? Apparently not. In this case it's not really bad rust - the element itself and some surrounding hardware - but it still has to be dealt with...
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
make the best decision

I recommend you consider obtaining a 110VAC & 12VDC Refer. You can safely run refer way out of level when in the coach but not camped. That 1 reason is why go electric only. I have used a Norcold for 18 years & am very happy with it. Send private msg if want more info about use.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Turns out we had a blown 12v fuse. We never thought to check fuses because the front panel buttons were illuminated indicating that the fridge was getting power.

Who would have guessed that the fridge would be powered by 2 separate circuits?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Ah, but there's more going on here than just a blown fuse. Given that this topic is now spread across multiple threads, I wrote this post for reference:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: TROUBLESHOOTING A DOMETIC 2351 PROPANE FRIDGE