Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
lafayette , Louisiana
best hitch cargo box

there are several choices of trailer hitch storage boxes with several options--some swing away, some slide away and some tilt away-have any of y'all used these and can you please give me some advice--want to make sure we can still open both back doors and they hold up
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums, and IMO there is not any such device as you seek. It doesn't yet exist, at least not in a form upon which you could reasonably rely.

One of the most popular choices is the Stowaway carrier, which I researched extensively a few months ago. (Do a google image search for 'Stowaway on Sprinter' and you will see the product to which I am referring.) The problem reported with this product is that it takes just a matter of seconds for a thief with a crowbar to pry it open. Some of the folks on this forum who report owning it state that, for this reason, they only store cheap objects in there - beach chairs and the like. Or they don't leave their Interstates unattended while storing stuff in it. Well, for the configuration that I would need, the quote works out to be $878. Pardon me, but I'd like a tad bit more security for that price, so this product became a non-starter for me. I actually wrote to the company asking them if they had any product improvements planned so that this vulnerability would be less of a problem in the future, but I never received a response.

My husband and I have every intention of designing a product that will do the job for us; in fact, I talked to a local inventor about a potential collaboration just a few days ago. I want to be able to securely haul my Yeti cooler on my Interstate hitch, and reasonably not have to worry about it being stolen (realizing that no system is 100% foolproof). Yetis are high targets so this requires careful design. We are very, very close to finishing our solar system and this hitch project moves up our priority list after that is done.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks--Please let me know when you complete your carrier. I also read about the stowaway/thule/etc and they all look fairly easy to break into--the Aerfoil or Let's go aero carriers seem a little more sturdy but I am not sure if you can still open the interstate doors (these models are very expensive)--these models slide out and not very far
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoach View Post
Thanks--Please let me know when you complete your carrier. I also read about the stowaway/thule/etc and they all look fairly easy to break into--the Aerfoil or Let's go aero carriers seem a little more sturdy but I am not sure if you can still open the interstate doors (these models are very expensive)--these models slide out and not very far
I will. I delayed the hitch carrier project in part because I thought the market might catch up to demand in this respect. There have been actual Yeti fencing rings busted in the greater Houston area. The authorities have found rental storage lockers piled floor to ceiling with hundreds of Yeti coolers. Some of these guys were reported to have generated illegal income in the tens of thousands of dollar range from their activities. Usually in a situation that blatantly obvious, someone will come along and develop the responsive market niche. No so in this case, unfortunately. Because it really would be easier to purchase an effective item right off the shelf. Until that time, it is as the fishermen say - the best way to keep a Yeti from being stolen out of your truck is to buy a Coleman.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
It seems like the bicycle carrier market is in about the same condition. A good, secure hitch box big enough for a couple of larger mountain bikes doesn’t exist. It would also be nice to arrive at a destination and NOT have to wash the bikes before they can be used. For now, a big heavy chain and lock with a canvas cover is as good as it gets.

I’ve looked at getting one of the platform type hitch carriers and building a box on that. So far the wife isn’t even considering the possibility. I guess she has standards.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
It seems like the bicycle carrier market is in about the same condition. A good, secure hitch box big enough for a couple of larger mountain bikes doesn’t exist. It would also be nice to arrive at a destination and NOT have to wash the bikes before they can be used.
And that is why I opted for a couple of good quality folding bikes which go under the rear seat. However, one downside is they are not trailbikes, just good enough for fairly smooth surfaces.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Just a consideration if you are shopping. I have the Stowaway Max on a 2016 and am happy with it. HOWEVER; you will be deactivating your blind spot monitor sensors when you are using it. If you don't rely on the sensors it is fine.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Had a Stowaway Max on my 2005 Interstate. My only complaint was that it was difficult to water seal the lid. Never got it totally sealed.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Had a Stowaway Max on my 2005 Interstate. My only complaint was that it was difficult to water seal the lid. Never got it totally sealed.
It probably didn't leak when you were parked, only when you were driving, because your slipstream can cause water to move in odd directions in the eddies behind the van.

The same type of weatherstripping that you have on your sliding door, applied to the rim of the cargo box so that the lid compresses the weatherstripping, ought to do the trick— but only if you also shield any drains to make it harder for water to be carried up through the drains by the slipstream.

I haven't tried the weatherstripping/shielding idea myself, because I quit using a hitch-mounted cargo carrier when I started pulling a toad. I'm simply tossing the idea out there for anyone else to experiment with…
Old 02-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It probably didn't leak when you were parked, only when you were driving, because your slipstream can cause water to move in odd directions in the eddies behind the van.

The same type of weatherstripping that you have on your sliding door, applied to the rim of the cargo box so that the lid compresses the weatherstripping, ought to do the trick— but only if you also shield any drains to make it harder for water to be carried up through the drains by the slipstream.

I haven't tried the weatherstripping/shielding idea myself, because I quit using a hitch-mounted cargo carrier when I started pulling a toad. I'm simply tossing the idea out there for anyone else to experiment with…
Stowaway sent special weatherstripping. Didn't work.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
We have the Let's Go Aero GearSpace 34 which has a removable fork mount for two bikes. It also on a track that allows it to slide back, though not far enough to fully open the rear doors you can access things back there one door at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5100 Grand Teton (7).jpg
Views:	569
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	256730  
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
New Orleans , Louisiana
Aerfoil TT6

We just got the Aerfoil TT6. It's a behemoth. After a few calls to the factory I adjusted it so the doors open fully with the box pulled out on its slides. The top is corrugated plastic, so anyone with a lever and intent could bust it open--probably as easily as breaking a window on the coach.

BTW, It took 3 trips to the dealer to get this installed, due to the LED Lamp Out trailer light issue described in other threads here. The Tow Ready 20141 adapter is the solution, though even the shop where I found one wasn't aware of the problem, not to mention all of the RV and trailer shops I called.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160203_091335.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	256733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160203_091346.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	256734  

NOLA_russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I also have a Stowaway. It leaks when it is just sitting while parked. Not a lot, but enough to gather about a quart of water on the bottom. I can't really tell where it comes in. While the Stowaway does stow gear well, you can't put anything in it if it could be damaged by water. As for security, no "out in the open" hitch mounted storage unit is very secure. If someone wants to get in, they will. I use mine all the time, but it's limited to items like hoses, leveling blocks, and outdoor items such as folding chairs, bbq grills, etc. And certainly nothing I could not replace inexpensively. While on longer duration trip, sometimes I throw a bag of dirty clothes in there to get them out of the way until we can wash them. It helps with the limited storage in my standard length Interstate. With the newer models that are extended, it probably wouldn't be needed.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #14

New Smyra , Florida
Any ideas send to us we have a2014.5 interstate ext thank you Susan.stambersky@yahoo.comm
susanstam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #15

New Smyra , Florida
Send imfo on good hitch carrier
susanstam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanstam View Post
Any ideas send to us we have a2014.5 interstate ext thank you Susan.stambersky@yahoo.comm
Quote:
Send imfo on good hitch carrier
Welcome to the AirForums! A word of advice, asking Forum members to e-mail you information right off the bat kind of defeats the purpose of a forum, which is to promote open discussion. Taking the discussion straight to e-mail makes it a closed discussion by limiting participation.

But moving on… There are several hitch-mounted cargo carrier solutions. Many of them can be considered "good" depending on your requirements. Until and unless we know what your requirements are, none of us can answer your inquiry in a meaningful manner.

Do you need to retain access to your rear doors? What do you plan to carry in/on it? What weight capacity do you need, and what kind of dimensions will you require to fit everything you want to carry? The more information you provide, the better information we can provide in return.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I also have a Stowaway. ...As for security, no "out in the open" hitch mounted storage unit is very secure. ....
Not yet. We're working on an idea for a metal cage-like structure that will have an inner container of some sort. There are cages on the market, but again they are cheaply made. They are intended for storing pool toys, an inflatable raft, or the like - nothing substantial. I want to use bar metal that is large enough to provide some security but too large to be breached with ordinary bolt cutters. Part of the challenge involves identifying the sweet spot of weight vs. security. Security is largely a function of the time it takes a thief to breach the system. They can get through bar metal with hacksaws, but if it's too difficult, they will proceed to easier targets.

The other weak spot in the system is the locking mechanism that connects to the hitch. I have read that one good whack with a sledgehammer and most of those things are toast.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
Atascadero , Texas and California
Cool Best Hitch Cargo Box

Quote:
We also have a 2014.5 AI. We purchased a StowAway2 (Max size) with the SwingAway Frame. With the SwingAway Frame you can open the left side cargo door fully and the right side door about 75%-no problem getting things from the back storage area of the AI.We used it on our 4000 miles-one month trip thru California, AZ, NM and mostly Texas. We experienced lots of rain and some very windy driving days. The StowAway manual tells you that the unit is not 100% waterproof so we just placed anything we didn't want to be exposed to moisture inside very large heavy duty trash bags. We had to fly to Ky from Texas for a few days so we had suitcases with "real" clothes (in the StowAway)for the airplane trip. Bottom line-for the entire trip the most water that got in the Unit was a few tablespoons. We did run a cable lock around the Unit to make it more difficult to open the lid if someone pried the lock open. However, we never had any problems (we kept the Yedi cooler inside the AI)
As mentioned , the warning system alerting you to traffic next to you will be deactivated, the same as if you were pulling a trailer (see you AI Manual).
Anyway, we love the StowAway.
Doug Odom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
If strength is the main criteria, then Aluminess makes a combination rear bumper with swing aside boxes combination that is probably the most rugged on the market. Expensive though.
http://www.aluminess.com/mercedes/sp...3/rear-bumper/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mercedes-sprinter-slimline-rear-bumper-04.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	256744   Click image for larger version

Name:	mercedes-sprinter-slimline-rear-bumper-03.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	256745  

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
If strength is the main criteria, then Aluminess makes a combination rear bumper with swing aside boxes combination that is probably the most rugged on the market. Expensive though.[/url]
Wow, those are beautiful. That design would eliminate the hitch lock vulnerability.

We had a local case a couple of weeks ago of a fisherman who launched his boat from his trailer, and came back to the public boat launch a few hours later to find his truck present but his trailer gone. Presumably the thieves pounded off the hitch lock because nobody would leave a trailer unlocked. It was a Sunday so blue laws prevented his family from buying a replacement trailer in real time. They had to put out a social media appeal for a Good Samaritan with an open trailer to go haul this poor guy out. These thieves truly suck, who would leave a fisherman bobbing around in Galveston Bay with no way to get out.