Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Best device (not list) for tracking DO-DONE travel-related tasks?

I am looking for ideas on an interactive tool, an ergonomic device that leverages a mechanical, tactile, or visual cueing advantage over the typical paper checklists that are used by RVers to track the travel-related tasks that they need to execute pre- and post-departure.

I am not looking for a task list – there are already 10 million suggested RV checklists on the internet. If those lists were really effective at preventing forgetfulness, RV and trailer owners would not have proposed all 10 million of them. They would have reached a point of diminishing returns somewhere around 2 million.

I have attached a pic of a prototype device that I produced. Rather than a passive checklist that I simply glance at and hope that I can read through without getting distracted, this involves a series of instructions short-handed onto magnetic pieces which are actively moved around the white board per our prevailing Interstate configuration. Those tasks that have not been completed immediately jump out at me because of their position on the board. It’s also a two-tier prototype in that less common, less critical to-do’s can be written in dry-erase on the bottom portion, thus not obscuring the most essential items.

My hobby is inventing things, and so this prototype was a fun little project for me. But I also think that this is an important topic in a more objective sense. As recent threads have suggested, if you get fatigued and forgetful during your travel process such that you screw up the execution of your own Interstate punch list, you could accidentally ruin $800 worth of coach batteries. That makes the underlying ergonomic challenges worthy of deeper assessment. To my way of thinking, anyway. Protag reasoned on a previous checklist-related thread that memory is a “use it or lose it” proposition and thus it should be used for punch-listing, but it’s clear to me that memory alone doesn’t work well for everyone. Multiple failure pathways are associated with that approach, especially when there are multiple people independently affecting the configuration of an Interstate, as my husband and I have discovered to our occasional dismay and frustration.

Here are the instructions on the making of this prototype, plus an explanation of some interesting historical product precedents and dead-end ideas that I discarded along the way.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: DO-DONE MAGNETIC PUNCH LIST FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0144.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	247878  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You're looking for something like the "Remove Before Flight" tags on airplanes for things like rudder locks and pitot tube covers. It's also similar to the "lock-out/tag-out" procedures used by electricians to make sure they don't get electrocuted by some fool turning on the power while they're working on a circuit.

Get yourself a key box, and mount it somewhere convenient. Then get a bunch of key tags and key rings. Label each key tag for a task to be performed, such as "Shore Power" or "Stabilizer Jacks" or whatever. Mark the hooks in the key box to match the key tags.

Every time you deploy something, whether it's a water hose or your awning, you remove the appropriately-labeled key tag from the box and you attach it to the item in question.

Then as you put away an item, you remove the key tag from the item and put it on the correct hook in the key box.

Then whenever you're ready to leave the campground, check the key box, and if there's a tag that hasn't been put back yet, you not only know that you've forgotten something, but also you know exactly what it is you forgot because you have a labeled empty hook in the key box.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
never forgotten

I realize this thread is for Interstates. Perhaps traveling in an Interstate is different than an old trailer, but so far, the tags mentioned by Protagonist work flawlessly with my memory and habit.

There are thousands of colorful, nicely embroidered, riveted, ringed and bound, remove/insert/before/after/whatever and etc... tags on eBay for a dollar.

I employ ten of them, some red some blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2670.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	247882  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks - I might apply that idea for a few of the most critical items, especially the coach battery.

My husband and I have a rule that makes perfect sense on its face but it hasn't manifested as foolproof in practice. The rule is that the last person who touches the Interstate is responsible for leaving it in a condition suitable for its circumstances. But that only works as one is aware of Johari-style blind spots, which by definition are difficult to impossible to remain aware of.

An example. Two weeks ago, I was getting ready to return the Interstate to its garage, so I had already commenced part of my pre-flight checklist, which includes leaving the coach battery on so that it is maintained properly once the garage power is hooked back up.

Well, my husband came behind me, saw the coach battery switch on for no reason that was apparent to him, and so he turned it off.

Now, it's supposed to be my job as Interstate deliverer to re-check what I've already checked, but this type of scenario is entirely non-intuitive. I'm not thinking that I have to re-check a second time what I know I have already checked a first time.

Fortunately, I happened to catch it - that time. But just like that, we almost ruined yet another $400 Lifeline. I would have plugged it in thinking it was able to receive charge when it was not, and it would have run down from there over the next few weeks. We realized in that instance that we need another method to help avoid human factors foul-ups.

The other scenario in which I find myself making potentially costly mistakes is when we have guests, which is a rare occasion because the demands of our still-working lifestyle don't allow us to use the Interstate very much - and guests are even rarer. I tend to be so happy to see the guests that I'm distracted on the rest. Driving is not a challenge in that scenario, but everything else is.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Great Ideas!

We just bought an AS Classic 1998 model in very good condition and have been readying it and ourselves for our maiden voyage. I've been trying to come up with a checklist that we would utilize since neither of us is a checklist person. I like both suggestions here and think a little of both would work well for us. Hubs is a key guy and I'm a magnetic board gal so we will both be happy. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions on this site. Wish us luck. We're true newbies to this world.
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Long Beach , California
I like the idea. As a newbie however, I don't think I know all the the things that should be on my checklist, and to what extent they would be different. Would the device have all the possible tasks built in?
aramirez626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramirez626 View Post
I like the idea. As a newbie however, I don't think I know all the the things that should be on my checklist, and to what extent they would be different. Would the device have all the possible tasks built in?
No. Every Airstreamer will have a different list of tasks. It's not only based on what rig you have and how it's equipped, but how you stock it and what kind of camping you do. Whether you use a checklist, magnetic board, or tag system, you have to start with the basics and customize it to fit your particular situation.

Also, different people need different levels of detail in their lists. You might need a checklist item "awning." Or you might need to break that down into step-by-step procedures for deploying and putting away the awning, having a whole checklist just for the awning. Checklists are not one-size-fits-all.

I suggest you start with your owner's manuals, and make up your list of tasks based on them. Not only does that tell you what the basics are so you can develop your own list, but it gives you an incentive to actually read the manuals instead of shoving them in a drawer and forgetting about them the way some people do.

My first-ever camping trip, where I taught myself the Airstream's systems, I alternated between hiking and reading owner's manuals. By the time the trip was over, I'd read every manual in the packet, cover to cover. Very dry reading, but it had to be done.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
How about isolating critical items vs. normal items that would cause harm, especially for those of us not doing a daily or weekly trip.
A final walk around to check under and around wheels, all connections on toad in place, storage bays closed.
My ignition key on raising antenna is stored on tv crank arm.
Galley vent door lock reminder on electric shore cord.
Some things have idiot lights and alarms to show they are deployed.
Hydraulic jacks, Water pump for house water
Some items don't so Protags ring might work for a few more
Cap on black water after dumping, requires a reminder, maybe moving it's attachment point, nice that it is connected but not visible when leaving dump station.
I find automaticly connecting reminders to tasks is better than a list, having a specific place to look for reminders at the driver seat is a good idea I will use, instead of the copilot, who is busy with her own items to check
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I've been working a check list ever since I got my Airstream, and it basically changes at least every other time I go out! When I tried not using a check list, I'd wake up in the middle of the night telling myself not to forget something. Of course, when I was rushing around to leave, I'd forget it!

So here's my system: I keep an "optimized" check list in Evernote. As long as I'm near a connected device, I can update it. The night before the trip, I print it out and start crossing off stuff as I get it done. Once it's crossed out, I forget about it. Someone wants to help? They can take a task from list, rather than walking up to you with something and asking where it goes. Completely disrupting your train of thought! This is a very relaxing way to prep!

Evernote is also a good way to log trips, as I do a lot of kayaking with the camping. All of the info that I researched to do the trip is saved there, ready for the next time out.

For those repair/upgrade/installs that come up, I use Gtasks on my Android phone, a task list that syncs to Tasks in Gmail. Every time I look at my email at home, that pesky undone thing is glaring right at me!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
This is a good candidate for a smart phone ap. There could be a master list of tasks in a library, the option for a user to choose which ones apply as they build a customized checklist for their needs, a capability to add tasks a user wanted that were not in the library, a "start checklist" function that opened the list and allowed items to be marked as complete, a "finish checklist" function that closed out the process and saved to a library with date/time stamp, etc.

That said, I wouldn't probably use an ap like that. Having been trained and licensed as a private pilot (the low end of flying in simple, single engine planes not commercial or military flying) I was taught that checklists are best used as support for ingrained knowledge, repetition and routine. I prep my AS the way I prepped an airplane. I have a pattern I walk and a series of items I check in the same order evey time (pilots call it a "walk around"). The list is long but repetition makes it go fast (I check 10 or 12 items on the trailer/truck connection alone... no way I'd stand with my phone in my hand and check off each one... and an ap that said "check truck/trailer connection would not be helpful).

Maybe that's just me, but for anyone who wanted to automate the process, I think a smart phone ap is the way to go.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Take a look at "Checklist+" for the iPhone. It will do everything being talked about here.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have always just kept a written list on the kitchen counter, crossing things off as they are completed.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I use Trello, which is based off the kanban paradigm for my business, seems like it could be used in this application.

https://trello.com/

Personally, I don't use any list of any kind for the Airstream unless it is a major trip. Seems too much like work if I do that.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
GammaDog has our method, but we use one further refinement. In the airline world, a checklist is often used after a "flow pattern" has been accomplished. Do the walk-around, interior security check, etc. and then pick up the checklist and read each item and mentally (or verbally in an airline cockpit) confirm that it was done during the "flow" phase. That way it's a check list rather than a do list.

Do not tolerate interruptions. If you are interrupted, start over. Checklist discipline is tough enough for human beings without distractions.

Tailor your checklist so it follows a logical walk-around sequence. The items on the list should be in the same order you will encounter them while walking around your rig.

Oh, yeah. DH and I are both retired airline simulator instructors. We used to teach this stuff.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Best device (not list) for tracking DO-DONE travel-related tasks?

We created and use checklists (one for arrival, one for departure). I doubt we'd find a use for a purpose-built device to help us handle this, though we don't represent a statistically significant sample.

Right now, the checklists are Word docs we store on OneDrive and access via our iPhone / iPad. If we're offline, the software lets us use the most recent cached version of the doc, which is fine. We update the docs regularly, but if we were one version behind on them at a remote campground with no data service it wouldn't trouble us.

Cozi, which is a nice checklist app that we already use for grocery shopping, could also be useful. I've used Trello for software development and it was very helpful there - maybe helpful here.

Anyway, we go through the list of items together so there's less chance of a moment where one person does something to negate an action the other just took, thereby accidentally "un-checking" an item on the list. The keyring technique looks interesting, but for now we find that simply talking to each other meets our needs. Besides, I'd always be losing the rings - it's just my nature.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Do not tolerate interruptions. If you are interrupted, start over. Checklist discipline is tough enough for human beings without distractions.

Your suggestion is excellent, as challenging is it is. Here is a partial list of things that have interrupted me thus far in Interstate ownership, a veritable cornucopia of both engineering and administrative issues.

1. Curious kids who sneak into the rig when my back is turned (the downside of having four ingress-egress points)
2. Dogs, including my own
3. Attacking clouds of no-see-ums
4. Spousal questions
5. Guests
6. Ringing cell phone
7. Urgent work emails pertaining to the day's assignment (for those trips when I'm on the job)
8. Sudden dangerous electrical storms, subtropical strength
9. People who walk up and say, "Hey, what kind of rig is that?"
10. Police who question me because they are on the look-out for suspicious activity
11. Personal observation of suspicious activity, of the kind that police are often on the look-out for
12. The fact that the Interstate is reliably 105 degrees inside as I'm preparing to get on the road and haven't had a chance to cool it down yet (summer conditions), such that I need to take a break

An airfield is a fairly controlled environment; driveways and RV parks are the opposite. I bet if I sat here and gave it more thought, I'd come up with a dozen additional examples of interruptions. But this is one of the reasons why I was shooting for 80/20 Rule efficiency in whatever method I devise. It's challenging to achieve ideal conditions for focusing. The trip won't come to an untimely end if I neglect to replace the sewer cap, but it might if I accidentally screw up something more important.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
After many years of aviation experience, both the aviation professionals and this ex-aviator have come to the conclusion that the only way to ensure a list gets checked is that it be in some format that is permanent and signed off on by the person who did the check immediately prior to use. It is oddly, critical, that the resulting record be retained in an unmodified manner, e.g. a log book copy with signature that is kept in a more or less permanent book. The only alternative is for a two person call and response system, followed by one of those persons (normally the "response" person) initialling that the checklist was completed without exception. Every other system has racked up some impressive failures.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
At Camping World, came across some 'slap straps'... with writing on them. You 'slap' them around steering wheel as 'reminders' of things to 'check'... wife, pet, lights, brakes, antennas.. etc..

They are a nuisance... which is good.. you MUST deal with them individually to remove from the steering wheel.

The other 'choice' is a 'list' for the iPhone.. in form of an 'app' that you can create on your own, with 'check' points....

My wife has a 'spreadsheet' for 'packing' the AS... it works fine.. as she can do things one at a time... check then save the paper somewhere safe (away from me) so that she doesn't 'lose track' of what's done.

Having come from years of boating, horses, I have a 'mental' checklist... but, I always walk around checking the AS several times... this gives me my daily 'exercise' walking around the 34' AS plus the TV!!! I have worked up quite a sweat by the time we shove off.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Coming from a popup camper, my Airstream experience is almost free of the dreaded packing. We leave it packed and plugged in, all it needs is gear for whatever activity we will be doing.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
At Camping World, came across some 'slap straps'... with writing on them. You 'slap' them around steering wheel as 'reminders' of things to 'check'... wife, pet, lights, brakes, antennas.. etc..

They are a nuisance... which is good.. you MUST deal with them individually to remove from the steering wheel.
I've seen those. They're useful for a motorhome, not so much for a trailer where your tow vehicle's steering wheel may be needed for an excursion long before you break camp.