Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ancillary to this tagging topic... I've found that old professional conference ID lanyards (the kind that start their lives saying "HELLO... My Name Is Nerd Face") have some application. Over the years I accumulated a desk drawer full of those because it seemed so wasteful to throw them in the trash.

Now that we have finished our solar system and I no longer have to hand-wring and obsess about whether our Lifeline is dying a slow permanent death (it is so cool to see the "charging" light flip on the TriMetric as soon as the rising sun peeks over the horizon), I can leave our Interstate with a few outside contractors to get other minor jobs done for which my husband and I do not have specialized equipment.

I made one lanyard into this, which I can tie to the steering wheel or hang from the frame of our back-up camera monitor. Because nobody is going to expect that the highest point on the vehicle is made of glass. A polite reminder along the lines of "please remember not to smack my panels, bubbas" could be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_CLEARANCE_PAIR.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	257092  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I made one lanyard into this, which I can tie to the steering wheel or hang from the frame of our back-up camera monitor. Because nobody is going to expect that the highest point on the vehicle is made of glass. A polite reminder along the lines of "please remember not to smack my panels, bubbas" could be helpful.
It would be useful to measure the height of the van at the highest point and stick a permanent label on the dashboard. When I was shopping for a Sprinter-based B-van before I found my Interstate, I test-drove a used Roadtrek where the previous owner had done that. The "Vertical Clearance 9'8" label was top dead center of the dashboard right above the navigation display.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Best device (not list) for tracking DO-DONE travel-related tasks?

I made label for mine with height, length, width and weights with metric units for Canada trips as seen in this photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455138644.043892.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	257109

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It would be useful to measure the height of the van at the highest point and stick a permanent label on the dashboard. When I was shopping for a Sprinter-based B-van before I found my Interstate, I test-drove a used Roadtrek where the previous owner had done that. The "Vertical Clearance 9'8" label was top dead center of the dashboard right above the navigation display.
I totally agree. I had to remove the original vehicle weight sticker from inside the kitchen cabinet when I installed hanging food pockets. I've been meaning to print up a new sticker that includes ALL of the relevant information, including height, for placement in a new accessible location. It could potentially be important one day for DOT purposes as well, because of the 10,000 pound threshold.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I had to remove the original vehicle weight sticker from inside the kitchen cabinet when I installed hanging food pockets.
Strange place for it. It's a motor vehicle, and the proper place for that is the driver's side B-pillar, or the driver's seat pedestal facing the door, where someone can read it without stepping inside. Airstream did wise up for later models, and put the sticker where it's readily accessible from the open driver's door.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Someone in the thread above had suggested this approach and I finally caved and bought these key chains, which are a knock-off of the real "remove before flight" tags, and which WERE ten bucks for this set of five. Of course once I ordered them on Amazon, the price jumped across the entire internet, because that's how variable pricing works. For that reason I won't post a direct URL but rather the description, which is "Rotary13B1 - Remove Before Flight Key Chain 5 Pack".

We plan to augment our do-done board with these, which appeal very much to my husband who is a pilot (among other things).

Again, the challenge we run into is when Person A makes a configuration change that Person B doesn't know about. Then if Person B is assigned the departure make-ready, some stuff might not get attended to even if there theoretically is a checklist, because the mind tends to simplify awarenesses. Funny how that works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160311_TAGS.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	258559  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
This is what we use as well and they work great!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Four hopeful words: ethylene propylene diene monomer. EPDM, what these new professional-grade rubber bands are made of. Every last rubber band I've ever placed in the Interstate in whatever capacity has rotted and snapped (see the consumer-grade examples in the photo). Temperature extremes plus UV exposure, I suppose.

These EPDM bands are reported to be more durable. They are used by the military, the agricultural industry, the fishing industry, survivalists, and other heavy-use groups. In order to buy small quantities of each size at reasonable prices, I had to resort to eBay.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Big Stone Gap , Virginia
We are brand new! The birth of our new Classic is expected in late May. We have been transient boaters and have used departure and arrival list for years. It seems a majority of you folks like list as well. Would you care to share them with us?
Chris and Sabrina
ward143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
I found some things like slap bracelets that you wrap around your tv steering wheel so you know to check each thing before you leave.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #31
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward143 View Post
We are brand new! The birth of our new Classic is expected in late May. We have been transient boaters and have used departure and arrival list for years. It seems a majority of you folks like list as well. Would you care to share them with us?
Chris and Sabrina
Welcome, glad to have you here. Per your request, here are our checklists:
Happy 'streaming.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Big Stone Gap , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Welcome, glad to have you here. Per your request, here are our checklists:
Happy 'streaming.

Thank you so very much!
Chris & Sabrina
ward143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Four hopeful words: ethylene propylene diene monomer. EPDM, what these new professional-grade rubber bands are made of. Every last rubber band I've ever placed in the Interstate in whatever capacity has rotted and snapped (see the consumer-grade examples in the photo). Temperature extremes plus UV exposure, I suppose.

These EPDM bands are reported to be more durable. They are used by the military, the agricultural industry, the fishing industry, survivalists, and other heavy-use groups. In order to buy small quantities of each size at reasonable prices, I had to resort to eBay.

Thanks for this tip. I've had similar experience with regular rubber bands. Now I'll get some EPDM bands.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote