Old 09-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Best device (not list) for tracking DO-DONE travel-related tasks?

We created and use checklists (one for arrival, one for departure). I doubt we'd find a use for a purpose-built device to help us handle this, though we don't represent a statistically significant sample.

Right now, the checklists are Word docs we store on OneDrive and access via our iPhone / iPad. If we're offline, the software lets us use the most recent cached version of the doc, which is fine. We update the docs regularly, but if we were one version behind on them at a remote campground with no data service it wouldn't trouble us.

Cozi, which is a nice checklist app that we already use for grocery shopping, could also be useful. I've used Trello for software development and it was very helpful there - maybe helpful here.

Anyway, we go through the list of items together so there's less chance of a moment where one person does something to negate an action the other just took, thereby accidentally "un-checking" an item on the list. The keyring technique looks interesting, but for now we find that simply talking to each other meets our needs. Besides, I'd always be losing the rings - it's just my nature.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Do not tolerate interruptions. If you are interrupted, start over. Checklist discipline is tough enough for human beings without distractions.

Your suggestion is excellent, as challenging is it is. Here is a partial list of things that have interrupted me thus far in Interstate ownership, a veritable cornucopia of both engineering and administrative issues.

1. Curious kids who sneak into the rig when my back is turned (the downside of having four ingress-egress points)
2. Dogs, including my own
3. Attacking clouds of no-see-ums
4. Spousal questions
5. Guests
6. Ringing cell phone
7. Urgent work emails pertaining to the day's assignment (for those trips when I'm on the job)
8. Sudden dangerous electrical storms, subtropical strength
9. People who walk up and say, "Hey, what kind of rig is that?"
10. Police who question me because they are on the look-out for suspicious activity
11. Personal observation of suspicious activity, of the kind that police are often on the look-out for
12. The fact that the Interstate is reliably 105 degrees inside as I'm preparing to get on the road and haven't had a chance to cool it down yet (summer conditions), such that I need to take a break

An airfield is a fairly controlled environment; driveways and RV parks are the opposite. I bet if I sat here and gave it more thought, I'd come up with a dozen additional examples of interruptions. But this is one of the reasons why I was shooting for 80/20 Rule efficiency in whatever method I devise. It's challenging to achieve ideal conditions for focusing. The trip won't come to an untimely end if I neglect to replace the sewer cap, but it might if I accidentally screw up something more important.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
After many years of aviation experience, both the aviation professionals and this ex-aviator have come to the conclusion that the only way to ensure a list gets checked is that it be in some format that is permanent and signed off on by the person who did the check immediately prior to use. It is oddly, critical, that the resulting record be retained in an unmodified manner, e.g. a log book copy with signature that is kept in a more or less permanent book. The only alternative is for a two person call and response system, followed by one of those persons (normally the "response" person) initialling that the checklist was completed without exception. Every other system has racked up some impressive failures.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
At Camping World, came across some 'slap straps'... with writing on them. You 'slap' them around steering wheel as 'reminders' of things to 'check'... wife, pet, lights, brakes, antennas.. etc..

They are a nuisance... which is good.. you MUST deal with them individually to remove from the steering wheel.

The other 'choice' is a 'list' for the iPhone.. in form of an 'app' that you can create on your own, with 'check' points....

My wife has a 'spreadsheet' for 'packing' the AS... it works fine.. as she can do things one at a time... check then save the paper somewhere safe (away from me) so that she doesn't 'lose track' of what's done.

Having come from years of boating, horses, I have a 'mental' checklist... but, I always walk around checking the AS several times... this gives me my daily 'exercise' walking around the 34' AS plus the TV!!! I have worked up quite a sweat by the time we shove off.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Coming from a popup camper, my Airstream experience is almost free of the dreaded packing. We leave it packed and plugged in, all it needs is gear for whatever activity we will be doing.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:57 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
At Camping World, came across some 'slap straps'... with writing on them. You 'slap' them around steering wheel as 'reminders' of things to 'check'... wife, pet, lights, brakes, antennas.. etc..

They are a nuisance... which is good.. you MUST deal with them individually to remove from the steering wheel.
I've seen those. They're useful for a motorhome, not so much for a trailer where your tow vehicle's steering wheel may be needed for an excursion long before you break camp.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Ancillary to this tagging topic... I've found that old professional conference ID lanyards (the kind that start their lives saying "HELLO... My Name Is Nerd Face") have some application. Over the years I accumulated a desk drawer full of those because it seemed so wasteful to throw them in the trash.

Now that we have finished our solar system and I no longer have to hand-wring and obsess about whether our Lifeline is dying a slow permanent death (it is so cool to see the "charging" light flip on the TriMetric as soon as the rising sun peeks over the horizon), I can leave our Interstate with a few outside contractors to get other minor jobs done for which my husband and I do not have specialized equipment.

I made one lanyard into this, which I can tie to the steering wheel or hang from the frame of our back-up camera monitor. Because nobody is going to expect that the highest point on the vehicle is made of glass. A polite reminder along the lines of "please remember not to smack my panels, bubbas" could be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160210_CLEARANCE_PAIR.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	257092  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I made one lanyard into this, which I can tie to the steering wheel or hang from the frame of our back-up camera monitor. Because nobody is going to expect that the highest point on the vehicle is made of glass. A polite reminder along the lines of "please remember not to smack my panels, bubbas" could be helpful.
It would be useful to measure the height of the van at the highest point and stick a permanent label on the dashboard. When I was shopping for a Sprinter-based B-van before I found my Interstate, I test-drove a used Roadtrek where the previous owner had done that. The "Vertical Clearance 9'8" label was top dead center of the dashboard right above the navigation display.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Best device (not list) for tracking DO-DONE travel-related tasks?

I made label for mine with height, length, width and weights with metric units for Canada trips as seen in this photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455138644.043892.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	257109

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It would be useful to measure the height of the van at the highest point and stick a permanent label on the dashboard. When I was shopping for a Sprinter-based B-van before I found my Interstate, I test-drove a used Roadtrek where the previous owner had done that. The "Vertical Clearance 9'8" label was top dead center of the dashboard right above the navigation display.
I totally agree. I had to remove the original vehicle weight sticker from inside the kitchen cabinet when I installed hanging food pockets. I've been meaning to print up a new sticker that includes ALL of the relevant information, including height, for placement in a new accessible location. It could potentially be important one day for DOT purposes as well, because of the 10,000 pound threshold.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I had to remove the original vehicle weight sticker from inside the kitchen cabinet when I installed hanging food pockets.
Strange place for it. It's a motor vehicle, and the proper place for that is the driver's side B-pillar, or the driver's seat pedestal facing the door, where someone can read it without stepping inside. Airstream did wise up for later models, and put the sticker where it's readily accessible from the open driver's door.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Someone in the thread above had suggested this approach and I finally caved and bought these key chains, which are a knock-off of the real "remove before flight" tags, and which WERE ten bucks for this set of five. Of course once I ordered them on Amazon, the price jumped across the entire internet, because that's how variable pricing works. For that reason I won't post a direct URL but rather the description, which is "Rotary13B1 - Remove Before Flight Key Chain 5 Pack".

We plan to augment our do-done board with these, which appeal very much to my husband who is a pilot (among other things).

Again, the challenge we run into is when Person A makes a configuration change that Person B doesn't know about. Then if Person B is assigned the departure make-ready, some stuff might not get attended to even if there theoretically is a checklist, because the mind tends to simplify awarenesses. Funny how that works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160311_TAGS.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	258559  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
This is what we use as well and they work great!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Four hopeful words: ethylene propylene diene monomer. EPDM, what these new professional-grade rubber bands are made of. Every last rubber band I've ever placed in the Interstate in whatever capacity has rotted and snapped (see the consumer-grade examples in the photo). Temperature extremes plus UV exposure, I suppose.

These EPDM bands are reported to be more durable. They are used by the military, the agricultural industry, the fishing industry, survivalists, and other heavy-use groups. In order to buy small quantities of each size at reasonable prices, I had to resort to eBay.