Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Treasure Island , Florida
Beeping When Engine On

After completing complete dump in preparation of winterizing, I was driving home and a faint (just loud enough to be annoying- not so loud that it would be any real auto alarm) alarm started. I determine that it was coming somewhere around the sliding door of my 2014 Lounge. I don't see any lights. I have disconnected the 12V. Beeping starts and stops when engine on. Not when key is in any position. I'm thinking there may be an alarm with sliding step. Anybody have any help to offer? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I do not know anything about these, but I remember reading this. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...tep-91045.html
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Make sure the awning is fully retracted. It has am alarm also.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Push your awning out about 10 inches and run it back in. It will stop but may start doing it again after while at least mine did. There is a micro switch inside the awning what need adjustment I just had it done during service at Jackson Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
That's very weird, because ours just did the same thing. We did a 17,000 mile trip, and about a mile from home, the same faint beep started. Very very faint.

The step was in. The awning was in. But, out of lack of figuring out anything else, I let awning out about 6", then retracted it, and the beeping seemed to stop. But, then, we were home, so, will have to see if it happens when we pick her up from storage later this week.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Treasure Island , Florida
Follow up... I went back to Sprinter armed with all the information gleaned from the AIRFORUM, but I couldn't recreate the issue. It was as if the Gremlins knew I had the knowledge to take care of them. I hope the issue doesn't return, but I'm grateful the forum was so giving of its knowledge.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Besides extending and retracting the awning to stop the alarm, one can slightly bend the leaf on the micro-switch that controls the alarm. Bend it in the direction that will cause it to contact the awning sooner as it is retracting. While this will allow the awning to vibrate out farther before tripping the alarm. A good idea is to just extend and retract the awning every few days of travel if this continues to be a problem.

I had to do this on mine to just silence the alarm even when the awning was fully retracted. Haven't had the problem since but have noticed that the awning does vibrate out slightly.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I just pulled our relay which is the actually source of the beeping as Aron did in the thread referenced above. The step and awning still work perfectly and as long as I don't try to drive off with the awning out don't see a problem without it.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Actually the relay is just an electric switch in the circuit, not the source of the beeping. The sound transducer that they're using is the source of the beeping. The cause of the beeping is a extended step or awning when engine has been started. Your solution will work but you will never know if the step is out with the engine running or the awning has vibrated its way partially out. The step on my RV did stay extended one time with the engine running. Never did discover why.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I pulled the cubbie hole box in the step area and verified the beeping was coming from the relay so maybe it is a combination relay sound transducer (whatever that is). I had my face up close an personal and pretty dang sure it was the source of the beeping.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Bruce
I had the same beeping noise. Mine was caused by the awning not being fully retracted as mentioned already.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #12

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I didn't notice the faint beeping in time and it cost $3,000 to replace the awning when it snagged on a tree limb. I do NOT recommend disabling the beeper, quite the contrary, I wish it were louder and more noticeable.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I pulled the cubbie hole box in the step area and verified the beeping was coming from the relay so maybe it is a combination relay sound transducer (whatever that is). I had my face up close an personal and pretty dang sure it was the source of the beeping.

You're probably right, I was just giving you a hard time.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I didn't notice the faint beeping in time and it cost $3,000 to replace the awning when it snagged on a tree limb. I do NOT recommend disabling the beeper, quite the contrary, I wish it were louder and more noticeable.
That must have been ugly

I can't imagine driving off with the awning extended but you are proof it could happen. I may put my relay back in and let my dealer look at it, but have been enjoying my van too much and really didn't want it at the dealer for something I considered nonessential.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
What you really need is an interlock so that you cannot start the engine with the awning extended, and cannot extend the awning with the engine running.

On edit— That was dumb. Instead, it should be a duplicate of the sliding step's controls. You can't extend it when the engine is running. And it automatically retracts when you start the engine.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #16

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
The awning only has to be extended a few inches to snag an overhanging tree limb, power line, or some other obstruction.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote