Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Battery Switch on if Plugged into shore power

Im having a memory lapse concerning , do I have to turn the battery switch to the on position , if the van in plugged into shore power and not being used?? can i turn the battery switch to the off position , if not using anything. Will the house batteries still maintain the charge??
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I am not sure of your question. On my 2013 with Magnum the charger will charge using shore power whether/not the battery switch is on. We have upgraded to 200W solar and leave the battery switch on all the time. With refrigerator, antenna booster, and LPG switch off the solar will keep ahead of the other parasitic losses.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As a matter of routine, if you're not going to be using house systems for a while, go ahead and disconnect the house batteries. The charging systems (BIM, shore, solar, generator) will still be connected to the house batteries.

If you're hooked up to shore power, you could leave everything powered up, as Titus said. But it's still good practice to shut off what you're not using, both the main 12vDC disconnect and the main 120vAC breaker.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
New York , New York
Rick - see if you have a separate cutoff switch/relay on your magnum. I have 2016 and it connects/disconnects at the same time with the main battery disconnect switch. So my battery disconnect needs to be ON to charge my house batteries when on shore power.

I know this very well as i had an issue on the magnum battery relay before (it gets too hot) and it took me a lot of time troubleshooting and finally Airstream changed it to the same auto switch as the main disconnect.
rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Im having a memory lapse concerning , do I have to turn the battery switch to the on position , if the van in plugged into shore power and not being used?? can i turn the battery switch to the off position , if not using anything. Will the house batteries still maintain the charge??
I can't talk to the newer trailers, but the 2004 with the Parallax original (and PD4645 upgrade) has the battery USE light on whenever plugged into shore power. It doesn't matter if the switch was in the store position to begin with.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
My 2017 AI will still charge with the main disconnect off. The MAGNUM stays on as Protagonist suggests.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
My 2017 AI will still charge with the main disconnect off. The MAGNUM stays on as Protagonist suggests.
Then yours is a very unique '17 AI. Mine, and all other '17's that I'm aware of, require the house power to be ON in order for the batteries to be charged due to Airstream adding a second switch (vs. the kludge SB-164 solenoid) which disconnects the Magnum from the batteries when the house power is switched OFF. This is to reduce the parasitic draw that results by having the Magnum always on.

To the OP, house power on or off is highly dependent on your model year and if you have SB-164 installed. I see from your sig that you have a '15. If you have NOT had SB-164 installed, then the position of the house power switch doesn't matter. The Magnum will charge your batteries in either position. If you DO have SB-164 installed, then you need to switch your house power ON in order to charge your batteries while on shore power.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Fly not sure how unique my 2017 is, when I purchased the unit there was another one I looked at and it was plugged in at the dealership with battery disconnect on, and Magnum was on just like mine is now. They must have changed something at some point in the 2017 production run. Seems like this is the way it should be in the first place.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Then yours is a very unique '17 AI. Mine, and all other '17's that I'm aware of, require the house power to be ON in order for the batteries to be charged due to Airstream adding a second switch (vs. the kludge SB-164 solenoid) which disconnects the Magnum from the batteries when the house power is switched OFF. This is to reduce the parasitic draw that results by having the Magnum always on.

To the OP, house power on or off is highly dependent on your model year and if you have SB-164 installed. I see from your sig that you have a '15. If you have NOT had SB-164 installed, then the position of the house power switch doesn't matter. The Magnum will charge your batteries in either position. If you DO have SB-164 installed, then you need to switch your house power ON in order to charge your batteries while on shore power.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess......
Yes it is a mess -- Airstream made changes in this area for 2017 models. I have two copies of the 2017 Owner’s manual, one from last summer and one downloaded a few weeks ago. The earlier version has a schematic showing the old SB-164 relay set-up. The newer version schematic has the two disconnect switches interconnected.

It is possible that Airstream sent a few of the 2017’s out the door without either solution while they worked up the design for the two switch version. Either way you can test is easily by plugging in when sun is not shining, so no solar charging, and check the voltages on the Tank Monitor panel battery voltage displays. If the batteries are being charged by Magnum Inverter/Charger then voltage on the “BATT AUX” position will be above 13.4+/-, rather than about 12.8+/- when the batteries are not being charged. Copy of Monitor panel attached.

Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	290582  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
What is the current draw of a Magnum that has power going to it, but the invertor is off? I installed a switch in the cable going to the Magnum so I could do hard reset if necessary, but never thought about turning it off to save power.

I have 200W of solar and that is enough to keep the batteries charged for the 7 months I am using it or it is sitting in the driveway. I remove the coach batteries (and disconnect the chassis battery at the accelerator pedal) when I store it in a barn for the winter. The solar easily keeps up with coach battery switch and Magnum switch on but with everything else off.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Boxster, on mine, if you put the switch on auxiliary battery, the panel is blank when the main disconnect is on. The Magnum remote is on and shows the charging mode as usual along with voltage so you know it is working.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
What is the current draw of a Magnum that has power going to it, but the invertor is off? I installed a switch in the cable going to the Magnum so I could do hard reset if necessary, but never thought about turning it off to save power.
I want to say it's something like 0.5-0.8A, but heck if I can remember where that number came from. Getting old is hard..... . Maybe someone else can chime in that remembers the exact number and why it's there. I just remember it's not an insignificant number, and was obviously high enough that Airstream decided to do something about it.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Boxster, on mine, if you put the switch on auxiliary battery, the panel is blank when the main disconnect is on. The Magnum remote is on and shows the charging mode as usual along with voltage so you know it is working.

So do you ever get a voltage reading from BATT AUX? You might have a wire disconnected. The power for BATT AUX comes directly from a wire connected to the coach battery side on the BIM relay.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Boxster, Sure the auxiliary panel has the battery voltage showing when the main disconnect is off i.e. The batteries are connected. Not when the main disconnect is on i.e. The batteries Are not connected. My 2014.5 AI did the same.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio

We bought our '15 used. How do I tell if the previous owner had the SB-164 solenoid installed or not? Does Airstream keep a record of Service Bulletins performed or will I need to do a manual inspection? If I need to look for it, where will I find it in my AI Lounge?
Thanks much!
Mark
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
We bought our '15 used. How do I tell if the previous owner had the SB-164 solenoid installed or not? Does Airstream keep a record of Service Bulletins performed or will I need to do a manual inspection? If I need to look for it, where will I find it in my AI Lounge?
Thanks much!
Mark
It is hard to access the added solenoid since it is under the couch, but I think you can tell by seeing if the Magnum goes off when the battery is disconnected. If so, you have SB164.

An Airstream dealer can look it up; they did for me.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It is hard to access the added solenoid since it is under the couch, but I think you can tell by seeing if the Magnum goes off when the battery is disconnected. If so, you have SB164.

An Airstream dealer can look it up; they did for me.
Thanks, I will check it!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
Thanks, I will check it!
With my power disconnect turned off, my Magnum was on and registering 13.1V. However nothing showed when I hit the aux battery switch on the master control panel.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

So, MisterB, yours works same as my 2017
Old 07-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Battery Switch on if Plugged into shore power

Quote:
Boxster, Sure the auxiliary panel has the battery voltage showing when the main disconnect is off i.e. The batteries are connected. Not when the main disconnect is on i.e. The batteries Are not connected. My 2014.5 AI did the same.

You are correct. My bad - sorry for confusion. The monitor panel is powered through 12VDC fuse panel that is off when batteries are disconnected.

I wonder if the solar display panel would show the charging voltage?