Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 34
Battery suggestions.

I have a 2016 airstream ext with 2 house batteries. They are the original one's from when we bought it new at the dealership. I need to replace them with 2 new house batteries. When I called the dealer, who is 5 hours away, he said the original batteries probably drained to below 50% at some time (probably on their lot) and that I should get batteries that can be drained all the way and then will hold a full charge even if they go down to 10 or 20%........

Can anyone give me a recommendation....I live in the country and need to call in an order for batteries from an auto parts store that is over an hour away and was hoping someone would have a part number of the batteries that will fit the holder and do the job. The batteries are mounted underneath on the side with a steel clamp holding them in so I know size will matter.....any help would be appreciated.
__________________

jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,319
If you post the model and part number for your existing batteries, that might help IMO. The dimensions too.

Are you sure that AGM batteries can be swapped in and that your charger/converter will work OK with them? There are some Interstate experts who will hopefully chime in.

Most auto parts stores will have a conversion table for sizes of possible batteries IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
__________________

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,988
Hi

The only batteries that can be "drained to 10 or 20%" are Lithium batteries. Figure $1,000 each for your two batteries if you go that way. They are a great idea, but the cost is a deal breaker for most people.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Zil
3 Rivet Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 226
You will not find any lead acid chemistry that will last very long being discharged below 50%. I recommend you look into golf cart batteries. Two 6 volt batteries in series giving you 12 volts would be good. Four would be better. Two 12 volt golf cart batteries in parallel would be next best. But golf cart batteries are true deep cycle, not relabeled starter batteries such as "marine". You need to learn battery management and cheaper golf cart batteries are best to do such. You can find Duracell brand at Battery plus Bulbs or Sam's Club. We owners typically murder our batteries before learning the ins and outs.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If you post the model and part number for your existing batteries, that might help IMO. The dimensions too.

Are you sure that AGM batteries can be swapped in and that your charger/converter will work OK with them? There are some Interstate experts who will hopefully chime in.

Most auto parts stores will have a conversion table for sizes of possible batteries IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
The dimensions are 10"L x 6.5"W x 8.5"D
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
The dimensions are 10"L x 6.5"W x 8.5"D
Hi

That would be a group 24 battery. The next question is - how big a battery will fit in the space? Group 27 adds 2" to the length dimension. On some AS products, the mounting area is designed to fit a Group 27 as an optional upgrade.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 639
Per the Lifeline manual the batteries might be salvageable by subjecting them to a 'conditioning' or 'equalization' charge. The Magnum can do the equalization charge. I suspect this seldom works, since I seldom see it referenced is this forum. I tried it with my batteries before replacing them, and it didn't help to any noticeable amount.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 40
I would say make sure your brake away brake cable is attached. I've known a few people who've unknowingly disconnected theirs when storing their AS and killed their batteries.

With that said, I upgraded my Interstate wet cell 12 v factory batteries with 2 Full River 6 v 120 Ah AGM batteries and worked fine as a drop in. I do suggest getting a battery disconnect switch if you're not full timing or using every weekend or have some other battery tender.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,239
I ordered Lifeline Group 27's which fit fine in our battery box.At the same time I upgraded our converter to a 4 stage system with float.Cheap upgrade!

Call Randy at Best Converter he is very competitive and ships to your front door
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I ordered Lifeline Group 27's which fit fine in our battery box.At the same time I upgraded our converter to a 4 stage system with float.Cheap upgrade!

Call Randy at Best Converter he is very competitive and ships to your front door
My current inverter has a "float" for battery charging. The coach is always plugged in when I am not using it in the pole barn.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
chugchug's Avatar
 
2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 48
Images: 5
Why you guys say that if a battery is drained below 50% it is dead. From what I understand, 50% is just a number used when sizing battery capacity to expected load.

As far as life expectancy, according to any of the many articles published on the matter, if a deep cycle battery drained to 50% every cycle, it will last 500-1000 cycles. In my camping lifestyle this will translate to several years. The issue with lead acid technology is that deeper drain level leads to less drain cycles.

For example:
https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...ttery-faq.html

"Battery life is directly related to how deep the battery is cycled each time. If a battery is discharged to 50% every day, it will last about twice as long as if it is cycled to 80% DOD. If cycled only 10% DOD, it will last about 5 times as long as one cycled to 50%."

For Lithium, life expectancy is function of charge level and temperature. So if you want to keep your lithium batteries longer don't charge them to 100?% and keep them in a cool place. If you charge them to say 80% then again you don't have 100% useful capacity.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugchug View Post
Why you guys say that if a battery is drained below 50% it is dead. From what I understand, 50% is just a number used when sizing battery capacity to expected load.

As far as life expectancy, according to any of the many articles published on the matter, if a deep cycle battery drained to 50% every cycle, it will last 500-1000 cycles. In my camping lifestyle this will translate to several years. The issue with lead acid technology is that deeper drain level leads to less drain cycles.

For example:
https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...ttery-faq.html

"Battery life is directly related to how deep the battery is cycled each time. If a battery is discharged to 50% every day, it will last about twice as long as if it is cycled to 80% DOD. If cycled only 10% DOD, it will last about 5 times as long as one cycled to 50%."

For Lithium, life expectancy is function of charge level and temperature. So if you want to keep your lithium batteries longer don't charge them to 100?% and keep them in a cool place. If you charge them to say 80% then again you don't have 100% useful capacity.
Thanks for the reply.....The problem is that when I bought my new 2016 A.S. in 2017 from the dealers lot the battery wouldn't even turn on the interior lights.....they put it on a charge and it showed 100% when I picked it up for delivery. It immediately went down to 90% when unplugged from shore power at the dealer and 2 hours later after the walk thru, it showed about a 55% charge....The batteries were obviously allowed to drain till dead and probably sat on the lot for a year in that state.

In any event, when overnighting in the coach, lights and TV only the batteries will discharge down to close to 50% or less. In my previous coaches, after a night of boondocking, the batts never where below 80%.

Anyway, getting 2 AGM 6 volt type 24's tomorrow at the parts store. Anything special I should be aware of when swapping out other than cable placement. I'll take a pic so as to not get anything wrong. Sorry if this is a dumb question or thread but I am a newbie with my airstream and its systems.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
chugchug's Avatar
 
2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 48
Images: 5
They tried the same trick on me. They sold me a brand new Airstream trailer with 2 dead batteries. An hydrometer test showed "1" - just water. When I took them back they smiled innocently and pointed me to a rack with batteries and told me to choose the ones I wanted.

I ended up buying a set of AGM batteries from Amazon. Can't beat the free shipping.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
Thanks for the reply.....The problem is that when I bought my new 2016 A.S. in 2017 from the dealers lot the battery wouldn't even turn on the interior lights.....they put it on a charge and it showed 100% when I picked it up for delivery. It immediately went down to 90% when unplugged from shore power at the dealer and 2 hours later after the walk thru, it showed about a 55% charge....The batteries were obviously allowed to drain till dead and probably sat on the lot for a year in that state.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Harrisville , Michigan
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 34
Ordered 2 Type 24, AGM, 6v, 120Ah batteries from our local NAPA store and will have them tomorrow. I gave them the dimensions to make sure they fit and the clerk says yes.......

I assume I unplug, turn off inverter and main battery disconnect prior to changing them out....
__________________

jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some suggestions re Battery Box in '06 Interstate duckdave Sprinter and B-van Forum 23 02-20-2018 01:32 PM
Question about wiring new battery charger on the battery side of the latching relay. BTUs4You General Repair Forum 3 07-27-2012 12:36 PM
To battery or not to battery 29348 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 4 07-16-2006 02:02 PM
Wiring Sequence to hook up 2 x 6 volt battery pack to your 12 volt trailer battery TobyJH Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 0 05-21-2004 12:04 AM
Battery check--why don't I ever have to add battery water? Kistler Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 8 05-17-2004 09:03 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.