Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Battery Monitor

I am about to order a battery monitor for you Interstate. I think I will go with the TriMetric TM-2025RV by Bogart Engineering. TriMetric Battery System | Bogart Engineering

I have a couple of questions for you Interstate owners that have installed this or any similar battery monitor:
  • What model do you have and how do you like it?
  • What size of shunt did you install? With the TriMetric, you can use either a 500A/50mV or a 100A/10mV shunt.
  • Where did you install the meter? And how difficult was it to run the cable from the battery bank to the meter?
Relating to the last question; I would like to mount the meter in the overhead locker with all the other electrical panels. But, I'm not sure how hard it will be to get the cable pulled to that location. I could always go out of the battery box, along the underside of the van and back up and inside eventually getting into the overhead locker. Or, I can try to fish it up and across the ceiling to the locker.

There are several threads in the Batteries/Univolts/Converters & Inverters section but I was hoping to find an Interstate owner that has installed a monitor.

Thanks for any sage advice!

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Relating to the last question; I would like to mount the meter in the overhead locker with all the other electrical panels. But, I'm not sure how hard it will be to get the cable pulled to that location. I could always go out of the battery box, along the underside of the van and back up and inside eventually getting into the overhead locker. Or, I can try to fish it up and across the ceiling to the locker.
Haven't installed one, since the solar panel comes with a monitor already installed.

You have the twin-bed model, right? With the battery box on the driver's side under the bed, and the control panel on the passenger's side in an overhead locker? If so, run your wire to the rear doors. Remove the plastic molding that hides the unfinished edges of the floor, and route there to get across. Replace the molding. Then go up right alongside the door (inside the trim panels) until you get to the overhead lockers, then forward to the control panel. This routing lets you avoid having to route around a window, and is probably easiest, though not necessarily the shortest possible run.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Prot..... You are correct; it's a twin and batt box and control panel is where you think. Your routing suggestion sounds like it could work. I won't know until mid-March when I will next see the Interstate.

Still hoping someone that has installed a battery monitor will chime in here
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I installed that same model in my 30' Classic, so installation routing, I can't help you. IIRC, the 500A/50mV shunt was recommended. Seemed counter intuitive as I recall but I utilized Randy's advice at Bestconverter.com. He knows his stuff. I have been very happy with the system. It is not hard to install, if you are handy and can follow directions.

FWIW, here is my install:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ade-70932.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Rich, I was reading your thread earlier today. Good information!

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I will tell you that the only line you need to run to the display head is a telephone type/size wire case with several small wires within. Not a large diameter and they supply a pretty long wire...maybe 15 feet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I will tell you that the only line you need to run to the display head is a telephone type/size wire case with several small wires within. Not a large diameter and they supply a pretty long wire...maybe 15 feet.
Yep, I ordered the cable with in-line fuse. It's 35' which will be plenty!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!