Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
Hi All,

Wanted to provide an update. Lifeline shipped to 12V batteries to me at a discount and I just had them installed. I have a mobile guy assess the system before and even though he thought the the existing batteries were ok, once he put the new ones in.. Boom. No issues with the batteries immediately dropping to 10V. I hope to see the benefits of this as we get out on the road soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.
TXNEWBIE - Nice! Lifeline seems to do good & step up in these cases when dealers mess up.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
TXNEWBIE - Nice! Lifeline seems to do good & step up in these cases when dealers mess up.
They did for sure. Now I need to figure out why the GFCI breaker won't reset. Ugh.
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
They did for sure. Now I need to figure out why the GFCI breaker won't reset. Ugh.
TXNEWBIE - Let me just verify, it's the GFCI breaker under the R/S jumpseat that you are talking about, right? That's the breaker that srvices all the outlets that are not inverter supplied. Not the GFCI Outlet behind driver seat? If you are not plugged into shore power, that GFCI breaker wil not reset. And it's outlets are not usable anyway. Has to do with how inverter ties Gnd/N. If you plug into shore power, you should be able to reset the breaker and confirm the non-inverter power outlets should work.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
TXNEWBIE - Let me just verify, it's the GFCI breaker under the R/S jumpseat that you are talking about, right? That's the breaker that srvices all the outlets that are not inverter supplied. Not the GFCI Outlet behind driver seat? If you are not plugged into shore power, that GFCI breaker wil not reset. And it's outlets are not usable anyway. Has to do with how inverter ties Gnd/N. If you plug into shore power, you should be able to reset the breaker and confirm the non-inverter power outlets should work.
Thank Alex - I never even noticed that before. You are dead on. All is right again (as far as power goes).
Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Wilmot , New Hampshire
How to check at dealers that batteries are OK

So, I’ve been reading about all the problems with dealers not maintaining the Interstate batteries. We are considering buying a 2019 that is sitting on the lot. How do we determine before we drive away that the batteries are good?
jagzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
A good battery place can do a controlled discharge and see how much power they can take out of them for how long. The standard draw-down test (used to rate them for advertising purposes) is how many amp-hours you can get out of them over a 20 hour period of time. Another way to do much the same thing is to measure how many minutes it takes to discharge them at a given output rate (25amp being the most common). I assume that new batteries will come close to meeting the advertised specs. I don't know how much below the standard to accept before they are considered 'bad'. Perhaps Lifeline can tell you.

Any test that you would do yourself (such as using it for a day or too) would be too subjective to be of much value. No way of knowing/proving if the problem is with the battery or how you used the rig.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzoo View Post
So, I’ve been reading about all the problems with dealers not maintaining the Interstate batteries. We are considering buying a 2019 that is sitting on the lot. How do we determine before we drive away that the batteries are good?
JAGZOO. I wouldn't rely on any tests and just get them to replace the batteries. It will cost them $300 and it will give you piece of mind. I just replaced mine and it's a night and day difference.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I insisted that the batteries be load checked before I would take possession. They had to put in new batteries.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #29
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzoo View Post
When I was getting my briefing from Colonial Airstream, one of the first things they did was lift the battery compartment hatch to verify with me the batteries were only one month old.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote