Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Charlotte , North Carolina
Battery disconnect not turning off

First thank you everyone for solving my last mystery. We had a bad transfer switch. Now that this is fixed, we noticed that our battery disconnect is not switching off. I don't know if we did something while troubleshooting for the switch. We had opened the breaker box and checked some fuses. If anyone has had this issue already it might save us some time and guess work. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
What makes you think the disconnect is not turning off? Does your 2014 AI have the remote switch for the house battery disconnect? Remember that disconnect does not really turn off much.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm guessing because my 2012 doesn't even have a remote switch for the main disconnect so I may be waaaaay out in left field with this, but here goes…

If memory serves, the remote disconnect switch is an electrical relay activating a solenoid, not a mechanical push-pull cable. If flipping the remote switch doesn't cause the main switch to move, there would be two possible explanations that I can think of:
1 - the fuse for the remote switch is bad, so flipping the switch on the relay doesn't energize the solenoid;
2 - someone manually activated the main switch instead of using the remote, causing the two switches to get out of sync with each other. I'm guessing that while moving the remote switch causes the main switch to move, the reverse is not true— moving the main switch doesn't cause the remote switch to move to match it.

If I'm mistaken I'll be happy for anyone to correct me; disproving a hypothesis is as much a learning tool as is proving one.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We have a battery disconnect switch at the sliding door. It lights up when battery is on and when switched off, red light goes off. Well, red light is staying on no matter what and not turning those forgotten lights and things off.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
Aftermarket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
We have a battery disconnect switch at the sliding door. It lights up when battery is on and when switched off, red light goes off. Well, red light is staying on no matter what and not turning those forgotten lights and things off.
We have a 2014 as well and we do not have a battery disconnect switch at the sliding door. Are you sure it's a battery disconnect switch? Or was this something installed aftermarket?

You should have the battery disconnect switch under the back lounge on the left hand side, if it's setup like our 2014. As noted previously, that doesn't turn off everything. But we do still turn it off to cut power to most of the majors.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

OK - then check the actual high current manual switch under the lounge bed on curbside of the electrical distribution panel near floor. It may be out of sequence as Protag suggested.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
In my 2013 the red light on the "Disconnect" switch by the sliding door indicates the condition of the servo that in turn moves the actual disconnect switch under the rear lounge. If the servo and the disconnect switch under the rear lounge are out of synch the red light provides a false indication.

That happened to me as a new owner . After I figured out the true function of the door switch, manually changing the position of the disconnect under the rear lounge to match the door switch restored synchronization. Since then I never touch the manual switch under the rear lounge. (Once burned — twice shy)

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
AI owner since June 2013

Lake Mary , Florida
I had the same issue on my 2014 with the disconnect at the door panel and under the lounge seat being out of sync. A dealer fixed it for me with some other warranty work and explained how it works. I have not had an issue since; and only use the door panel switch.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
disconcerting disconnect

Quote:

The BEP "manual" disconnect is motor driven. the rocker switch at the door remotely turns it on and off. The BEP has a third position to the far right which is a manual override. (on)

When in the third position the switch is always on and the door switch LED stays lit even when shore power is disconnected.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Great answer.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
My light was staying on and the battery was not disconnecting, also, I found that the red switch was not rotating far enough. A little manual twist and it was off.

Rather than worry about it, I just turn it off manually and don't worry about the door switch. There is a detent at both the full on and the full off position that ignores the door switch.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote