Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Battery Disconnect ??

This could go in this forum or the "other" Sprinter forum...so I figured I would start here.
My AI is parked for a few weeks, without shorepower. I disconnected the chassis battery per the Mercedes manual, using the snap-plug near the accelerator pedal.
I went to the lot today to check how things were doing and got a bit of a surprise. I hit the "unlock" button out of habit as I approached the van and it unlocked....my reaction was "huh?". When I got inside, the dash lights lit up showing mileage etc... When I went to the power center in the back it showed me the chassis battery voltage, and the fact that the solar panel was charging everything.
I m not sure just what the ground post is supposed to disconnect, but it sure surprised me as to what was still operating.
Yes...it was still disconnected.
What did I miss????
Old 02-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
How did you lock it in the first place after "disconnecting" the chassis battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
With the key in the driver's door.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Beginning to wonder if some components are still getting power circuit from the coach battery and solar panel when charging. Hmmmmm
Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Interesting! There must be a sneak path to ground somewhere? I wonder if it could be through wiring added by Airstream?
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I suspect it kills the ECM and associated electronics along w/ starter, radio, etc. The instructions state that one should wait a certain amount of time after shut down before disconnecting the chassis battery.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I read...and reread the manual before disconnecting. Made sure I waited AT LEAST 20 seconds...more like 2 minutes..before i did it. Something was effected....I stood in front of the van afterward and I could hear what sounded like pressure relieving somewhere under the hood. Crazy engineers....oh wait....I am one of them too.
Going back in the morning and reconnecting everything. I need exercise the genny anyway.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The general Sprinter forum turned up something. I was reminded that the BIM looks to see which battery needs charging. It sees the chassis battery as "0"volts and then switches over to allow the solar panel to charge both. If this is accurate,then there are parts of the chassis circuitry that can see a charging voltage even if that circuit's battery is isolated out of the loop. Going to reconnect the chassis battery tomorrow to be sure this has not caused problems. Doubt it has, or this would've shown up on one of the forums.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Probably didn't hurt anything. I recall when I disconnected the rear house batteries via the ground lug on the battery box I found several things were still working. There were other ground (-) connections to the metal battery box. I guess the only sure way to isolate the batteries is to disconnect them right at the battery.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Old 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I m not sure just what the ground post is supposed to disconnect, but it sure surprised me as to what was still operating.
Yes...it was still disconnected.
It disconnects the ignition switch and everything routed through the ignition switch. "Unswitched" items are still powered, including the 12v power outlet in the bottom center of the dash— the one below the cup holder. Power should also still be provided to the Kenwood head unit, the dashboard message center (which includes a digital clock on one screen) and the remote door locks.

There are a couple other Airstream-installed items that are powered off the chassis battery, namely the retractable step by the sliding side door and the awning. I don't know if they still get power with the main plug pulled down by the accelerator pedal or not.

I never disconnect mine, mainly because I have a Viper alarm system, that includes a battery disconnect sensor. If I pull the plug, the alarm goes off! As loud as the alarm is, I have no incentive to unplug the disconnect and experiment with the step or awning.

Even though I never pull the plug, as long as I start the engine and drive my Interstate for about twenty minutes or so every two or three weeks, I don't have any problem with the starter battery running down.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
With it being outside, I'm surprised the solar panel doesn't keep the chassis battery charged.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The solar panel does keep it up if there is enough sun for the coach battery to get charged, then it will go over to the chassis....experience so far anyway. Have not had that much sun in East Tennessee the past few weeks. It was letting chassis battery drop to 12.1 - 12.2.... It might have kicked in at some time, but I did not want to wait.

Protagonist....the step still worked with chassis battery disconnected.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
And the digital clock was way off.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
This is a great discussion and lesson learned for using the Sprinter battery disconnect near the accelerator pedal. Thanks for bringing it up and to all those that contributed.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge