Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
In any event, I would only leave the batteries connected to shore power if the unit will apply a float charge to the batteries that is the same voltage that your battery manufacturer recommends for their products.
My 2012 has the TrippLite. I never leave my Interstate connected to shore power unless I'm actually camping in it. About once a week I'll fire up the generator, which serves two purposes: (1) it recharges the house batteries; and (2) it exercises the generator, since generators that sit idle too long without being run tend to develop problems.

The only reason I'd hook up to shore power while my unit is stored is if I accidentally let the house batteries drain to the point that I couldn't start the generator for its weekly test-run. Then I'd hook up shore power until I got the generator started, and then unhook shore power as soon as the transfer switch transferred the electrical load to the generator. If you have shore power and generator both trying to provide 120vAC, the transfer switch defaults to the generator even though it's only 20 amps.

When I'm running the generator, I also turn on electrical appliances until the total load is about 1.5kW (it's a 2.5kW generator). Generators run best when loaded between 50% and 75% of their rated capacity. Propane generators aren't subject to "wet-stacking" the way lightly-loaded diesel generators are, but old habits die hard.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Maybe my 2011 is different but I can turn everything off and the solar panel will keep both the house and chassis batteries charged unless we get several overcast days in a row. I did notice that while the propane valve is unpowered, the generator starter is not. Sure wish Airstream would post a wiring diagram for these rigs.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Fort Worth , Texas
Well I replaced house batteries with Optima blue tops and plugged in shore power. A few days later the new batteries were dead. Nothing worked, no house lights, no fridge, nor could not start generator. So I started chassis motor. That enabled me to start the generator. Now the interior lights worked. With the shore power still connected, I turned off the generator. Shortly after the lights started to go dim. Appears to be an inverter problem???
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Safe to assume the inverter is turned on and the dip switches are set right?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not sure about that. Did not mess with dip switches.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Airstream revised their DIP settings from what they had originally.