Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Battery Cables

Anyone know where I can get custom length 1/0 and or 2/0 battery cables fabricated in the Houston area? Holiday World and Camping World in Katy act as if this is a total mystery for them.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I build my own cables.

I often order wire on eBay but a place like wireandcabletogo.com is probably better if you want to know for sure what you're going to get. Locally, you can try welding supply shops for the wire and terminal lugs then go to Harbor Freight for a hydraulic crimper. Of you can drive to League City and borrow mine.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
+1 on rolling your own.
The first few are a pita, but once you get the technique down, you'll never go back to store bought.
Most of the ones in stores are crimped only, with a thin rubber heatshrink. If you roll your own, the hydraulic, or the hammer operated crimper work well.

Then I would suggest to solder with a propane torch, then cover the joint with the Anchor Marine heatshrink. Unlike the Harbor Freight heatshrink, the Anchor is lined with glue. Once it melts, the joint is sealed for life. I had joints 10 years old on our boat, with 4/0 cable. No moisture, no corrosion in a marine environment, and not one failure. The Anchor fittings are also tinned, which does not corrode, as opposed to raw copper.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I make cables daily for my installations. Premium quality class K welding cable. End crimps to ABYC marine standards.

PM me for more info.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
You can also go to West Marine. They have marine cable in large sizes.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Wow! Thanks everyone. Lew, sent you a PM. LB_3, I may take you up on your offer depending on Lew's response. I had to haul to Kemah today to pick up 2 Lifeline Batteries.

I'm installing additional AS OEM battery cases tomorrow along with the 24Ts and the Magnum DCLD. Changing the OEM 15 Amp DC Breaker to 20 Amp (The 300 Watts of Solar are regularly producing over 15 amps). Removed SB 64 Solenoid completely.

I know I'm not as bleeding edge as Lew's Lithium and others, but I trying to minimize weight gain while having reasonable boon-docking capability. The good news is that with the 300 watts of solar, we never plugged in last week in TN, but we were driving some and the Freezer was not running. The additional 160 AH should tied us over.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I was just at Steel Supply and they have welding cable in sizes 2 to 4/0 and copper lugs. There is one location on West Road near 290 and another on Telephone Road.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Lew, How difficult is it to change house batteries on 2015 AI.. Does vehicle have to lifted up .. Very tight ..
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Lew, How difficult is it to change house batteries on 2015 AI.. Does vehicle have to lifted up .. Very tight ..
It sure is............ especially with the ground effect kit that Airstream adds to the bottom of the Sprinter. I usually either jack ups the rear a couple of inches at the trailer hitch to allow for more vertical access or ride the rear wheels up onto a few 2 x 12's........ helps a LOT!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I run the back wheels up on leveling blocks (3 high) and then run the air suspension to max. This gives me plenty of room to glide under on a tray. When I actually install my new 24 Ts, my idea is to have them (one at a time) on a floor jack, roll them under, jack them up to the tray height and slide them in.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
I was inspecting my new AI this week and tried to crawl under to check the batteries. I was surprised that I could not pull myself under. Eventually did find a way to do that but then decided if ever decided to do anything with them, I would have someone else do it.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
..... I'm installing additional AS OEM battery cases tomorrow along with the 24Ts and the Magnum DCLD. Changing the OEM 15 Amp DC Breaker to 20 Amp (The 300 Watts of Solar are regularly producing over 15 amps). Removed SB 64 Solenoid completely.....
MC - have you finished your installation of the Magnum DCLD? I ordered one today and would like to know how it is working for you.

Thanks,
- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
MC - have you finished your installation of the Magnum DCLD? I ordered one today and would like to know how it is working for you.

Thanks,
- - Mike
All installed. Hard to see in this photo, but works as described. When you hit the main disconnect, it will shutdown the inverter, but allow charging to continue. It performs as advertised and a benefit for sweetie as she does not always remember all the routines to go through in turning off systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	263646  
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
All installed. Hard to see in this photo, but works as described. When you hit the main disconnect, it will shutdown the inverter, but allow charging to continue. It performs as advertised and a benefit for sweetie as she does not always remember all the routines to go through in turning off systems.

Great - thanks for the update. This $30 part would be a much better solution than the Airstream SB164 kluge. Makes one wonder what kind of engineers, if any, work at Airstream.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I make cables daily for my installations.
Lew sent you a PM with my contact details