Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I neglected to say that my solar panel charges when the 12 volt sys is shutdown.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I have a 2013 EXT, but here are my observations and experiences so far....

1) If you turn off the battery disconnect switch that is in the doorway of the big sliding doors does that prevent the solar panel from keeping the house batteries charged? Seems that way as we have plenty of AZ sunshine but batteries still went from 100% to 50% in two days with the battery disconnect switch off- which seems to indicate to me that this disconnects the solar charger too.

My 12 volt disconnect shutsdown EVERYTHING except the BIM.

So the solar panel will NOT charge with the battery disconnect switch off??

2) With the batteries at 50% I started generator and pressed the on with on the little magnum panel. At that point the green light comes on labeled inverter?? Does that mean it is inverting for sure or only if the ten is not covering power needs? Frankly the old system seemed easier with the ability to flip a switch to either line/charge only or auto/invert??? Help!

You do not need to turn on the inverter. The Magnum unit will charge by itself. OK, beginning to understand so you only need to press the little on switch when you want it to invert??

3) It seemed to take a while to charge the house batteries from an indicated 50% so i changed setting on the magnum inverter to charge at 100% instead of charge rate 50% - is this ok??

I only use 100% when connected to shorepower. We (tech and myself) found that if I had it set at 100% and started the generator, it would overload the generator and it stalled. Apparently the Magnum can take more than the genset puts out. Surprised me but they did confirm it.

Thanks All!
[/QUOTE]

This did not happen to me but I wasn't running A/C or TVs with the Gen on and charge rate set to 100%

Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
These units vary so much...we've started joking about planetary alignment influence. 😄
Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
These units vary so much...we've started joking about planetary alignment influence. 😄
classic
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't know if the 2014.5 still has the solar panel controller readout, but if it does, you could check it in the current setting and see if it's putting any current into the batteries w/ the disconnect off.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
I want to thank everyone for the helpful advice! Just one more question.. I was able to connect my Interstate to a shore line (30amp) and it seems to be working! How will I know the Interstate has a full charge? I've been reading the manual and there's nothing there that tells me. I've been looking at the control panel (energy management system) and can't see any indicators letting me know I am fully charged.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
You are basically there when it gets to "Float". On the ME-MR controller there is a "Full Charge", but according to Magnum tech you would have to "spend a lot of time" watching the panel to catch it. It goes into Float again soon as the voltage drops even a little.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate1 View Post
I want to thank everyone for the helpful advice! Just one more question.. I was able to connect my Interstate to a shore line (30amp) and it seems to be working! How will I know the Interstate has a full charge? I've been reading the manual and there's nothing there that tells me. I've been looking at the control panel (energy management system) and can't see any indicators letting me know I am fully charged.
I take it then that the new models don't have the solar panel control display that show when the house batteries are fully charged.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote