Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Bathroom Question

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding our bathroom. We have an Interstate and we were parked with a bunch of other non-Airstream motorhomes for a college football game. Somehow the issue of toilet paper came up and we were told by several other motorhome owners that they never put toilet paper down the toilet. I have never heard of this, but I thought I should ask this forum. They said the toilet paper (even the special RV kind) balls up into hard balls and damages the tanks. I guess my question is that as an Airstream Interstate (2014 extended), do I need to worry about this?

Thanks once more for all your help.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
No need to worry. People say you can get by fine with ordinary single ply, but I have always used RV paper. Only had one problem, I think it was because of too much paper being used and not enough water being flushed. It jammed the macerator and blew a fuse. Freeing the macerator with a screwdriver was an easy to fix and I had a spare fuse.

After that episode we use the toilet paper judiciously and make sure to use plenty of water with each flush. I also use the black tank flush feature when emptying the black tank when I can. Have had no issues since.

It's a good idea to carry spare fuses!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I agree that the biggest problem isn't too much TP but rather not enough water.

BTW, the indefatigable FitRV folks did a study on various brands of toilet paper and their ability to decompose in your tank. The results are somewhat surprising:

FitRV TP Challenge
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not helped by the fact that many people tend to use more toilet paper at one sitting— so to speak— than they really need.

I've never had my macerator pump jam on toilet paper. One thing that I find that helps is, I do my dishes in a dishpan and rinse in the sink, and dump the hot soapy water from the dishpan down the toilet. This not only slows down accumulation in the gray tank, but biodegradable toilet paper degrades faster in hot water than in cold water.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One thing that I find that helps is, I do my dishes in a dishpan and rinse in the sink, and dump the hot soapy water from the dishpan down the toilet. This not only slows down accumulation in the gray tank, but biodegradable toilet paper degrades faster in hot water than in cold water.
Good advice! Not to revive a very old topic, but this is one of many reasons why separate black and gray tanks make no sense. ("...but that is the way we've ALWAYS done it..."). Our 2005 AI had a single large black/gray tank and I really miss it. Always had plenty of water in it. This was one of the few things that I couldn't convince Great West to customize in our new van.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Bathroom Question

Here's what I've been using since I bought my Interstate in Apr 2013. No problems at all with the macerator, and at a reasonable price (this picture was taken at Walmart in Apr 2013). I do, however, use the black tank flush every time I empty my black water tank 😃

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414086265.991929.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	818.2 KB
ID:	224969
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
We use the toilet paper that is specifically for RVs, but what exactly is the "black tank flush"?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
We use the toilet paper that is specifically for RVs, but what exactly is the "black tank flush"?
Next to the macerator pump's discharge hose, there is a 3/4" female hose fitting, called the black tank flush fitting. Adding water to this fitting sends water to a sprayer inside the black tank that helps to clean undumped residue off the sides and bottom of the tank.

This flush fitting incorporates a check valve to prevent back-flow. Whenever practical (meaning that I have fresh water left over), I hook up my external shower hose (with spray head removed), and flush the black tank with hot water from the external shower. Otherwise I just hook up a hose from the service pedestal (many dump stations have non-potable water service for rinsing slinkies) and flush the black tank with cold water.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Easy test: Put a couple of sheets of (clean) toilet paper in a glass of water, then stir. If paper shreds easily, the TP you're using is fine. For comparison, put in a sheet of facial tissue. Just guessing, but you'll probably see a big difference -- No facial tissue in the toilet!

FYI, Consumer Reports tested TP; and two of the most economical brands that are easily available while traveling are:

* White Cloud Ultra Soft & Thick (Walmart, 25-cents per 100 sheets)

* Great Value (GV) Ultra Strong (Walmart, 27-cents per 100 sheets) -- This is the one we use most often.

We also frequently stop at Costco, and this brand is our second choice:

* Kirkland Signature (Costco, 12-cents per 100 sheets)

Just my opinion: GV is strong and relatively soft, 3-ply White Cloud is soft and relatively strong, and Kirkland is just OK and cheap.

All three brands dissolve easily, and we have had no clogs in the nine years since we bought our Bambi new in 2005. However, we only dump our black tank when COMPLETELY FULL; and we top it off with fresh water, if necessary, before pulling the dump valve.

Note: I have no affiliation with Walmart, Costco or any TP manufacturers, other than being a satisfied customer.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Thanks again everyone for all your help. We are new to RVing and really appreciate all the feedback we get here at this forum.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Scott's single ply TP works fine. Get it close to water and it dissolves. As stated above. It has more to do with the amount of water.
When it is time to dump the black tank. I try to do it immediately after driving. The motion helps stir things up. Which helps when the time comes to dump:
If you are parked for a long period of time and have full hook ups. Don't be afraid to use a little more water. And only dump when necessary. DO NOT leave the black water dump valve open when connected to a sewer. The liquid will run of and leave the solids behind. Thus the problem.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Adding ice cubes in the toilet on the last 100 miles before dumping helps to knock stuff of the walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums