Old 09-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Bathroom fan blade in Interstate van became brittle and broke

Hello fellow Interstate van owners. I wanted to share this as a PSA because I don't believe my situation is unique.

As some may remember, I store my van outside, and here in NorCal we get a lot of sun. When I was testing systems to get ready to go on my summer trip with my daughter, I flipped the bathroom fan on and all hell broke loose. Basically, the fan started to spin and quickly shed all of the fan blade fins. I was sure it got caught in a bit of insulation or something to cause this.

Well.....I just finished repairing it and here's what I found: I keep my bathroom door open and my bathroom fan vent open while the coach is sitting. It's not ideal as a little bit of dirt and dust does find its way into the bathroom, but overall it helps to vent the hot air that builds up inside the coach. Apparently this is a bad idea for the vent fan blade as it appears to not be made of UV resistant plastic.

Now, before you say the obvious, I'll save you the trouble: There is a cover over the vent and blade that is UV resistant, so how the heck did this happen? My only guess is those sneaky UV rays were bouncing off the surrounding shiny metal roof and paint and making their way to the very sensitive fan blade. When I went up there to do the repair, the fan blade fins that I plucked out of the vent area just crumbled in my fingers. Definitely UV deterioration.

Here is what I ordered from eTrailer to make the repair (no affiliation, just a decent site):

Code Product Quantity Total BVD0217-00 Replacement Fan Blade for Ventline Vanair Trailer Roof Vent
1 $12.24 BVD0455-01 Replacement Dome Seal for Ventline Ventadome Trailer Roof Vents
1 $10.95 Shipping: Economy Shipping 2.99:
Sales Tax:
Total:

$2.99
$2.14
$28.32

It only took about an hour to get it all done, but the old fan blade was a bit of a bugger to get off because the whole plastic piece was so brittle that as I tried prying it off the fan motor spindle it just kept falling apart. I eventually prevailed and got the new blade pressed on, and then used good marine adhesive (UV resistant!) to fix the new weather stripping in place.

So.....hopefully this helps others. I will keep my bathroom vent closed from now on so this doesn't happen again.

Safe travels everyone.

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Same thing happened to me on my 2018 that sat on the dealer's lot for a long time in the Texas sun. I store it under cover, but the damage was already done.

I started the fan and there were blades a'flying.

I haven't fixed it yet, but I do have the blade in house.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Northern , California
I think I'll drop a note to Ventline and suggest they make these blades out of UV resistant plastic. It can't add that much cost, and would eliminate this flaw.

If this has happened to us, you know it's happened to others.....
Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Humm... good to know. Same part for 2017 and 2018? If so, I might want to order one to keep as spare (and stored inside a temperature controlled dark enclosure of course )
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Humm... good to know. Same part for 2017 and 2018? If so, I might want to order one to keep as spare (and stored inside a temperature controlled dark enclosure of course )

I believe Ventline only makes one round fan for our AI's, so I think the answer is "yes", but I wouldn't bet a kidney on it.....
Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Sprinter Bath Fan Blade

Thanks - same thing happened to mine likely for the same reason. I have not gotten around to repairing it yet so info on parts was helpful, although I need to verify the OEM on my 2014 fan blade.
FlaBucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Same thing happened in our 2017 Interstate

The van was in storage for a while in Florida. I am going to see if I can get it covered with the extended warranty.
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly. View Post
The van was in storage for a while in Florida. I am going to see if I can get it covered with the extended warranty.

For $28 in parts ($15 if you don't need a new vent seal) and an hour of your time, you might want to just handle it yourself vs. dealing with a warranty claim, taking it to a dealer, etc. My nearest dealer is a few hours away, so it was easier for me to just do it myself.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Broken Fan

I would if this were the only issue. We have encountered numerous other issues on this trip which will require accessing our extended warranty.
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Saw this just now in the FB Airstream Interstate group:

https://boldandadventurous.com/how-t...yNcPuCSv2C5_KE

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote