Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Jererae, thanks for letting us know you have the problem also.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
Had the issue with the reading lights. Airstream tech installed a filter on three TV booster cable and no issues since.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

billramp,

Thanks for responding and letting us know there was a solution for the problem. Do you have anymore details? Was it one filter? Where was it installed? Was it a dealer Airstream tech or a factory Airstream tech?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
Tech at Airstream Dealership. I didn't watch him but was told he placed it on the tv booster cable behind the plate cover. My guess is he removed the cover to get to the cable. My unit is in shop for sprinter service this week. Should have back on Wednesday, will pull the plate off and see what I can find out.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My guess wouldbe a filter on the 12v power cable to the preamp control panel. That would be a place where conducted noise on the power would be able to cross over to the antenna signal. Good design of the preamp could/should have prevented that coupling.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TV signal interference

I have a 28 ft. 2016 FC and experience the same problem with the bathroom fan and overhead light. Hopefully Airstream will send out a fix for this systemic problem.
petermday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Have 26RB with same problem. Turning on bathroom fan or front lights will scramble any reception. I was just at Jackson Center but forgot to put this on my 'list'.... darn...

I am seriously surprised that Matt did not read my mind and fix this as he fixed everything else and a few things I hadn't mentioned...
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jererae View Post
I have a 2017 - and yes - we just noticed that when we had the ceilings lights on we had noticeably different TV reception (painful - since a favorite football game was on). When I turned off the ceiling lights and turned on the floor lights - the reception was perfect! We then checked the scan for channels and noticed a significant difference. Mentioned it to our Airstream dealer and they seemed surprised. Did not try the fan...
Interesting. We experienced the same in our 2017 when we had the ceiling lights on. Lost TV reception completely, came back when lights were turned off.
Forgot about it until I read this post. I need to check schematic and see if lights on same circuit as amplifier.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
Interesting. We experienced the same in our 2017 when we had the ceiling lights on. Lost TV reception completely, came back when lights were turned off.
Forgot about it until I read this post. I need to check schematic and see if lights on same circuit as amplifier.
Problem is likely more complex than lights being on same circuit as amplifier. Biggest problem is cheap non-compliant LED light. Here are a couple of links that will give some ideas...

http://www.ledbenchmark.com/faq/LED-...ce-issues.html

https://reductionrevolution.com.au/b...ference-emf-rf
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Lake Forest , California
I am a ham radio operator and regularly troubleshoot RFI interference issues last like you are describing. Most issues can be reduced or eliminated by putting ferrite beads or toroids on the power supply and/or antenna cables coming into the tv. You can get ones that snap on to the cables like those pictured. You can get a set for less than $10 and put them on any other plug in devices like blenders, hair dryers, computers etc. here is an Amazon link. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	341546Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	34154620 Pcs Snap on Ferrite Core Cord Ring RFI EMI Noise Filter Suppressor Cable Clip for 3.5mm/5mm/7mm/9mm/13mm Diameter Cable, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0AV746..._s2k6Cb5CV1V6Y
TheSquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Problem is likely more complex than lights being on same circuit as amplifier. Biggest problem is cheap non-compliant LED light. Here are a couple of links that will give some ideas...]

I had no idea LEDs could be such a big source of EMI issues. Thanks for the links. Good info I will Remember - or I hope I will remember.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bathroom Fan and Ceiling Lights Affect TV Reception

Most LED lights have a switching power supply in them to regulate the current through the LED and thus the brightness of the LED. The cheaper ones do not have a filter circuit in them, and put a lot of electrical noise on the Airstream 12 volt power wires. Hence the tv interference issues. It’s a pain in the butt, but that’s what we get for efficiency in our rigs.

I have to turn my LED lights off to use my Ham Radio gear. I’ll live with it, pays for much increased battery life over the very hot, power sucking Halogen bulbs that used to be in there. I’ve actually burned my head getting too close to the old bulbs! We don’t watch much television so that’s not a real issue.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

I am the original poster. I had my unit at Jackson Center and they did not solve this problem. They replaced the fan but I still have the problem. If my memory is correct I could only get one OTA at JC so that is not a good place to test a fix.

I contacted Winegard for help. They did not have a workable solution. I asked that they work with Airstream to come up with fix. Last time I checked with Winegard they said they worked with Airstream but stll no fix.

Bottom line I am still looking for a fix. I might try some of the recent suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
I am the original poster. I had my unit at Jackson Center and they did not solve this problem. They replaced the fan but I still have the problem. If my memory is correct I could only get one OTA at JC so that is not a good place to test a fix.

I contacted Winegard for help. They did not have a workable solution. I asked that they work with Airstream to come up with fix. Last time I checked with Winegard they said they worked with Airstream but stll no fix.

Bottom line I am still looking for a fix. I might try some of the recent suggestions. Thanks.
The ferrite beads suggested by TheSquire are probably the best thing to try as a first step.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #35
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The ferrite beads suggested by TheSquire are probably the best thing to try as a first step.
I cut the ferrites off a couple of old USB cables. Worked fine.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #36

2018 25' International
Jamestown , New York
Air Reception

Saw this thread earlier. Got the TV channels programmed in from the antenna with the amplifier running and sure enough the bathroom light kills the signal, sometimes DEAD! The second TV in the Bedroom hangs in better but goes phooey eventually! We'll just use the bathroom light sparingly if we really need to watch something. Maybe we can use a lantern in our 2018 Serenity International modern, somewhat buggy, travel trailer.
Steven58 is offline   Reply With Quote