Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Balancing Tires - beads?

Anyone try these for balancing the "whole wheel" rather than just the tire and rim?
Counteract Tire Balancing Beads

Thinking I could order these with the dually valve stem upgrades and have the beads dropped in while the tires are broken down.

I've never heard of them before finding them on the site for ordering the valve stems.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
Anyone try these for balancing the "whole wheel" rather than just the tire and rim?
Counteract Tire Balancing Beads

Thinking I could order these with the dually valve stem upgrades and have the beads dropped in while the tires are broken down.

I've never heard of them before finding them on the site for ordering the valve stems.
It's an el cheapo version of the Centramatic concept. Given a choice between beats in a Centramatic disk and beads loose in the tire, I'd rather have the Centramatics.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's an el cheapo version of the Centramatic concept. Given a choice between beats in a Centramatic disk and beads loose in the tire, I'd rather have the Centramatics.
That makes sense - contained rather than loose chaos.
Do we need just one Centramatic for each of the pair of duallies - total of two Centramatics for the rear end?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
That makes sense - contained rather than loose chaos.
Do we need just one Centramatic for each of the pair of duallies - total of two Centramatics for the rear end?
Don't really know; I haven't bought Centramatics (yet, but they're on my "gift to myself" Christmas list). But I think it would be four per vehicle, even if the vehicle has six tires on the ground.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have them on my F-250 and our AS. After nearly 40k on both, I can't discern any appreciable wear.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The beads have been used for years in the heavy truck business. As far as I know they work well. I can't explain why but they have never caught on in the automobile tire business. There is perhaps good reason why but it escapes me. I think the Centramatics are a good long range option but not necessarily better than the beads. I recently installed a set on my Airstream. Thinking about but not yet made to decision to put them on my truck.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I put beads in the Argosy's tires 3 years ago and ran with them for about 2 years before changing rims and losing the beads. I haven't really noticed any difference with or without them. I researched beads vs centramatics obsessively for a couple of days and ended up with the beads because they were way cheaper than the centramatics and I thought they would actually do a better job. The one problem I did run into with the beads was that one would occasionally get stuck in a valve stem when I went to check pressure, causing the valve to remain open until I could get the bead dislodged. One time I started out with 65 lbs of pressure and lost down to 30 or so by the time I got the bleeding stopped. That could be a real issue if you're out in the pucker brush.
You'll get a lot of differing opinions on the forum - my opinion is that neither product is really necessary, just more hype to sell something to the American consumer. But if you really have to try something, the beads provide a cheap way to experiment.
My 2c
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Most everything comes cheaper or more expensive.

Having something that lasts literally forever, that cannot cause any wear problems, is the better way to go.

Yes, Centramatic balancers cost a few dollars, but they save many more times than what they cost.

The lack of proper balanced running gear can cause damages to the coach sometimes exceeding thousands of dollars.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Tire beads

After having way too much trouble with blow outs on AS w/ GY Marathon, Cooper, and any other brand beside Michelin. Finally put Maxxis tires on and Dynabeads in tires. That was 3 years ago and have nothing bad to say about combination. Every thing has been good since then. Although, I have been absolutely obsessive about checking tire pressure and maintaining proper pressure. Dynabeads sell valve cores with a cover that eliminates the problem of a bead getting into the valve stem. Can't recommend this combination enough. IMHO

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I am familiar with Equal Balance, you must use a special valve stem when using equal. much less expensive than the centramatics it would be interesting to test and see the difference the Equal costs about $10.00 a tire and the valve stem is a couple of additional buck. used for many years in over the road trucks. it comes in a little bag so when you break the bead you just put a little bag in the rim and air the tire up and the bag comes apart.

I don't balance any trailer tires or rear tires on my motorhome. Rotation and proper air pressure is enough for me.

thanks
Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
Why not use BB's? will do the same thing.

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Just got off the phone with Centramatic rep - they have not been fitting the dually on the Sprinters. He's going to check with Airstream and see if they can put something together and let me know.
I'll advise when I hear back from him.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
After having way too much trouble with blow outs on AS w/ GY Marathon, Cooper, and any other brand beside Michelin. Finally put Maxxis tires on and Dynabeads in tires. That was 3 years ago and have nothing bad to say about combination. Every thing has been good since then. Although, I have been absolutely obsessive about checking tire pressure and maintaining proper pressure. Dynabeads sell valve cores with a cover that eliminates the problem of a bead getting into the valve stem. Can't recommend this combination enough. IMHO
I had the Dynabeads with the special valve core they sell. Still had the issue, but maybe it was just me?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic

Bought from Andy Rogozinski at Inland RV (see his post above) One for each of our 6 wheel assemblies (yes, assemblies.. tires AND the wheels)...on our AS, Mjolnir..

Happy, Happy...Happy
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #15
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Just ordered Centramatics from Andy.
Will install when they arrive and report back impressions after a road trip.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There have been some allegations of beads in the tires causing wear to the inner rubber and exposing the innermost belt in spots. True or not, I don't know. That said, I prefer Centramatics wherever application is available. I do have Dynabeads in my scooter tires. No real way to balance those wheels without a lot of disassembly and maybe a cycle shop can balance????? I just know the rear wheel would hop around a lot when on the center stand. After beads....smooth as silk.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have tried Dyna Beads in motorcycle tires. Couldn't see a difference.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have beads in an older vehicle and I remember them working well. It has been a few years since I have driven the vehicle.
I had a pair of centramatics on my pickup that went bad. The company warranted them with a new set. I put these on the truck and found the truck drove smoother without the centramatics.
If you decide to go the centramatics route make sure you hear the bb's make noise when the wheel turns.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote