Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Bad Battery-FYI

I began receiving trouble messages on the dashboard. The pictures are attached. The problem turned out to be a bad coach battery (MB). My battery was 10 years old, so it was bound to happen. However before it goes bad, the voltage begins to drop, and it can cause ancillary issues and erroneous messages. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with the traction control systems; the low battery voltage caused those messages Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	324716to appear. FYI. 2008 Sprinter, 2009 AI conversion.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	324720Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	324721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	324722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	324723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	324724
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, good to know, but that’s a really old coach battery.

We have always replaced ours every 3-4 years, another good reason to do so.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hmmm, good to know, but that’s a really old coach battery.

We have always replaced ours every 3-4 years, another good reason to do so.

Maggie

Maggie,

I actually don’t know the age of the battery. I bought this in Feb. 2017 and there were zero maintenance records. I did visuals every few months, but other than pulling and testing it, there’s not much you can do.

Tim
Old 10-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
I began receiving trouble messages on the dashboard. The pictures are attached. The problem turned out to be a bad coach battery (MB). My battery was 10 years old, so it was bound to happen. However before it goes bad, the voltage begins to drop, and it can cause ancillary issues and erroneous messages. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with the traction control systems; the low battery voltage caused those
3BCAMPER - I was confused coz you said "coach battery" then "MB". Can I assume you meant the chassis battery? Those messages with "Visit Workshop" kinda unusual & funny coz it's not a phrase we use in US. Must be a Deutchland to English translation
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Bad Battery-FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
3BCAMPER - I was confused coz you said "coach battery" then "MB". Can I assume you meant the chassis battery? Those messages with "Visit Workshop" kinda unusual & funny coz it's not a phrase we use in US. Must be a Deutchland to English translation

Yes, the chassis battery. Apparently I’m still learning the lingo. I thought the non-engine batteries, those that serve the motorhome refrigerator, entertainment, water pump, etc. were the “House” batteries. In my case, it was the chassis battery, the one that serves the engine functions, that went bad.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Yes, the chassis battery. Apparently I’m still learning the lingo. I thought the non-engine batteries, those that serve the motorhome refrigerator, entertainment, water pump, etc. were the “House” batteries. In my case, it was the chassis battery, the one that serves the engine functions, that went bad.
3BCAMPER - You are not alone. . Took me forever to learn them too. I hear people use AS, AI, coach, house, rear, or deep cycle battery interchangeably. Then use MB, chassis, engine, front, or starter battery interchangeably. So confusing.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bad Battery-FYI

Starting batteries, by wife’s insistence, get replaced at end of warranty with shiny new ones. Cuts down on the chance of getting stranded in ‘sketchy places’ according to her.

Same attitude applies to tires and engine thermostats.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Starting batteries, by wife’s insistence, get replaced at end of warranty with shiny new ones. Cuts down on the chance of getting stranded in ‘sketchy places’ according to her.

Same attitude applies to tires and engine thermostats.

Sounds like a good plan. I was able to start the engine from the house/coach/rear/AS/AI/deep cycle batteries. So, in a pinch, you have a backup.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
3BCAMPER - 10 yrs for a starting battery in MN is amazing - you had 2-3 life's worth. I hope you replaced with same brand . I never got 4-5 yrs. in Chicago or LV. Only time I got over 5 yrs. was in So Cal
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Bad Battery-FYI

Quote:
3BCAMPER - 10 yrs for a starting battery in MN is amazing - you had 2-3 life's worth. I hope you replaced with same brand [emoji3]. I never got 4-5 yrs. in Chicago or LV. Only time I got over 5 yrs. was in So Cal

Alex, it turns out the battery was in fact the original, dating from 2007. I don’t know the history of this vehicle, as I bought it used in Feb 2017, with 53,000 miles on it. It was originally purchased from Colonial in New Jersey. It has not spent its entire life in Minn. I believe I am the 4th or 5th owner. There were no maintenance records at all. I searched and searched for maintenance records, but nothing has surfaced.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just FYI, you can go into an Interstate Battery place and they will check your batteries for free.

They also install them with no labor costs.

I replaced the starting battery on my new-to-me a couple of months ago, because I didn’t know how old it was and it was showing some rust.

I keep a record of when mine are replaced, and when I get to the 3 year mark, I get a new one...trying to avoid little surprises at inopportune moments.

It’s incredible that you had a battery that old that was still functioning.

Maggie
Old 10-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex, it turns out the battery was in fact the original, dating from 2007. I don’t know the history of this vehicle, as I bought it used in Feb 2017, with 53,000 miles on it. It was originally purchased from Colonial in New Jersey. It has not spent its entire life in Minn. I believe I am the 4th or 5th owner. There were no maintenance records at all. I searched and searched for maintenance records, but nothing has surfaced.
3BCAMPER - that's even more! 11 yrs. I don't know anyone here who can beat that performance. I guess they don't make newer batteries like they used to. What brand/series was it?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
3BCAMPER - that's even more! 11 yrs. I don't know anyone here who can beat that performance. I guess they don't make newer batteries like they used to. What brand/series was it?

It was a Mercedes Benz Varta battery. I have a photo that I will have to post later.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Just FYI, you can go into an Interstate Battery place and they will check your batteries for free.

They also install them with no labor costs.

I replaced the starting battery on my new-to-me a couple of months ago, because I didn’t know how old it was and it was showing some rust.

I keep a record of when mine are replaced, and when I get to the 3 year mark, I get a new one...trying to avoid little surprises at inopportune moments.

It’s incredible that you had a battery that old that was still functioning.

Maggie

Maggie,

I would have replaced this myself, but I wanted to make sure there were no problems with the alternator/charging system. There had been an intermittent message (in addition to those I included) which indicated there was a problem with he battery/charging system. I was not able to get a picture of that, as it was intermittent and infrequent. I didn’t want to put a good battery into a bad charging system and risk ruining a new battery.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:

My original Porsche battery lasted 7 years and were replaced by a Kirkland branded Costco in 2007, it’s still going strong with a $10 trickle charger hooked up to it (light duty of a fair weather garage queen [emoji12])
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote