Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
Back-up camera - or lack there of

I am very dissatisfied with the lack of a true back-up camera. My 2017 Interstate has NO back-up camera and the review (mirror) camera does not have any guidelines to assist when backing up. I noticed that the fusion system seems to allow for a wireless backup camera BC™ 30 Wireless Backup Camera- has anyone used this or does anyone have the same problem that I do?..
Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Please further clarify... review mirror is a full time backup camera.

I was actually happy to see the two separate. I hate having the display on the radio switch to backup camera in my other cars. Having a full time backup camera in the rearview mirror, for me, was awesome.

So you want two backup cameras... the rear view mirror and the display on the entertainment unit to also switch to backup camera mode with the added functionality of grid lines?

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
So you want two backup cameras... the rear view mirror and the display on the entertainment unit to also switch to backup camera mode with the added functionality of grid lines?
That would actually be kinda cool. I wonder what sort of view you would get if you added a compatible camera to the Fusion? Grid lines? Unicorns pooping rainbows?
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
...I wonder what sort of view you would get if you added a compatible camera to the Fusion? Grid lines? Unicorns pooping rainbows?

Sorry OP...Long day at work and could not resist...

I will stop now... Back to your question for some serious answers.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jererae View Post
I am very dissatisfied with the lack of a true back-up camera. My 2017 Interstate has NO back-up camera and the review (mirror) camera does not have any guidelines to assist when backing up. I noticed that the fusion system seems to allow for a wireless backup camera BC™ 30 Wireless Backup Camera- has anyone used this or does anyone have the same problem that I do?..
I agree that the rear view camera is not as good as a true backup camera with guidelines. I have a 2013 Interstate with the Kenwood head unit. I added an additional Kenwood camera just above the license plate on rear door. This gives me a reasonable lower level view with guidelines. See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076LR.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	299610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073LR.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	299611  

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I agree that the rear view camera is not as good as a true backup camera with guidelines. I have a 2013 Interstate with the Kenwood head unit. I added an additional Kenwood camera just above the license plate on rear door. This gives me a reasonable lower level view with guidelines. See attached photos.
Does it show "swing" or just straight back (i.e. do the lines bend as you turn the wheel)?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Does it show "swing" or just straight back (i.e. do the lines bend as you turn the wheel)?
They don't swing like the OEM camera systems. That probably requires a steering angle input. The lines are just straight back but give a good sense of distant to objects.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Back up camera

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...-167983-2.html

We found this nifty back up camera idea on the air forums website, bought the camera and wi-fi transmitter, your smart phone becomes the screen. Put it together in less than 30 minutes, works super, and cost about $50.
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a back up camera that I got with the AS. Frankly it is more like a rear view camera. I find it more helpful to help monitor traffic behind me and make lane changes than backing up. It does work really well though for that. Otherwise the best thing is my wife in back with walkie talkies guiding me. The back up camera does then give me some ide where I’m at.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The only time I felt I needed a backup camera was when backing the trailer into my covered storage....in the dark! I discovered the brake lights are very bright, but I still prayed I wouldn't back into a post.
I like the Garmin 660 or 770 GPS with an input for a camera.
I think the phone will give you a reverse image.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have the garamin RV model also,
the rear camera is great

i wired it so that it was powered when the TV lights came on and NOT the reverse lights

now when we are driving, i turn the TV lights on and i can see behind the trailer
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
Wachuko, Is this the way your rear camera looks???? Wow!!! I would love that. NO - my camera is not like this at all. May I ask what model you have?
Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
The 2018 Backup camera, just like other versions is a little tough initially to set the way you like it. Very little help from Airstream, Fusion and Mercedes-Benz. All I was ever able to get was a short video from the airstream.com site under service, then under video's. I am not sure if the 2017 is different then the 2018 version. Either way, the lines should be an available option as well as depth perception. I will play around with mine and report back. My park-tronics (Mercedes-Benz OEM option) with my broad view (Over three lane viewing area) backup camera is great for me. But remember, I am coming from pulling a trailer with a Bluetooth Backup camera. Not a fair comparison.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Where I park my Interstate it’s a bit tight to get in and out. I have to back out and make a few tries because there is a building I have to deal with. So far the backup camera has come in very handy so I don’t crash into anything. I have also backed into camping spots with posts in the ground so people don’t pull in too far. Again, the camera does a great job IMO. Having the wide field of view is critical in these situations. Other than having grid lines that move as you turn the wheel like in most new cars (and will never be on the Interstate) I don’t see how it could be more useful or functional. It even has a built in microphone so you can hear someone behind you that is helping to guide you!