Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
B190 Generator Problem

We just bought a 1993 B190, new for us. Everything was to be good but the generator does not turn over. It is I guess not getting the power to start. I have no clue where to start looking. I thought there would be a fuse or breaker of some kind but can`t find anything.
Has any one out there ever encountered this problem. I need HELP!!
Thanks in advance, God Bless, Ken
or my email is mimitess@hotmail.com
Airstream 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
First, try starting the van's engine, then try starting the generator while the van's engine is running. If that works, then the problem is simply that your coach's 12 volt battery is weak or dead. Are any 12 volt lights/appliances (ceiling fan, furnace, etc.) working?

If that doesn't work, open the access door on the generator. There are some fuses/circuit breakers (depending on how old the generator is) in there, near the start/kill switch. Verify those are okay.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
First, try starting the van's engine, then try starting the generator while the van's engine is running. If that works, then the problem is simply that your coach's 12 volt battery is weak or dead. Are any 12 volt lights/appliances (ceiling fan, furnace, etc.) working?

If that doesn't work, open the access door on the generator. There are some fuses/circuit breakers (depending on how old the generator is) in there, near the start/kill switch. Verify those are okay.
All of the above, plus per Doug try an aerosol starting fluid sprayed on the air intake and check intakes for blockages.

Probably also needs a service job, oil and filter, etc.

Good luck and send pics!

Maggie
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Remote troubleshooting mode on:

Question? When you say "does not turn over" do you mean that it will not crank at all? Or that it cranks but does not start?

If you mean that it does not crank at all, does it make an impudent clicking noise, or does it just sit there silently and mock you?

If it just sits there silently, then there's a break in the electrical connection for the remote start, which could be a blown fuse, or could be the 12v system is shut off at the disconnect.

If it clicks, there is a problem with the starter solenoid. Probably the battery power is too low to actively engage the solenoid. But it could also be that the solenoid is defective.

If it cranks but doesn't start, there are so many possible problems to choose from… carburator bowl gummed up from stale ethanol gasoline; clogged fuel filter; no spark on the spark plug (bad plug, bad wire, or bad coil); low oil; trying to start under a load.

Remote troubleshooting mode off.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Remote troubleshooting mode on:

Question? When you say "does not turn over" do you mean that it will not crank at all? Or that it cranks but does not start?

If you mean that it does not crank at all, does it make an impudent clicking noise, or does it just sit there silently and mock you?

If it just sits there silently, then there's a break in the electrical connection for the remote start, which could be a blown fuse, or could be the 12v system is shut off at the disconnect.

If it clicks, there is a problem with the starter solenoid. Probably the battery power is too low to actively engage the solenoid. But it could also be that the solenoid is defective.

If it cranks but doesn't start, there are so many possible problems to choose from… carburator bowl gummed up from stale ethanol gasoline; clogged fuel filter; no spark on the spark plug (bad plug, bad wire, or bad coil); low oil; trying to start under a load.

Remote troubleshooting mode off.
You're such a brainiac.

We need you analytical, detail-oriented folks to help those of us here who have a brain-freeze when faced with something unfamiliar and mechanical.

Maggie