Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Awning use in the rain

Are the AI awnings designed to be used in the rain? Mine pretty much comes out of the receiver at a 90 degree angle and stays that way level with the ground. Looks like it would hold water...
bankerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The awnings can be used in the rain, but are mainly for the sun. Yes water has destroyed awnings by pooling in the center. For manual awnings drop one side of the awning so that rain runs off. If you still get pooling lower the angle of the awning.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerhill View Post
Are the AI awnings designed to be used in the rain? Mine pretty much comes out of the receiver at a 90 degree angle and stays that way level with the ground. Looks like it would hold water...

Yes they can be used in the rain but absolutely have one end a few notches lower than the other. Typically the door end will need to be highest so you can get in and out. The awning WILL fail in heavy rain if you have it flat.

I know.

Upside is Zip Dee have a great website with exploded views of all the parts so you can get the spares you need [emoji848]
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Does it not have an option t have one end lower to encourage water runoff?

I would think it should - seems a pretty basic feature for RV'ing!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
On my 2017 Airstream Interstate, the awning is deployed/ retracted by electric motor. There does not seem to be a way to adjust the pitch in any way unl ess I am missing something.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
The FIAMMA awning instructions for the Interstate state it should not be used in rain. That said, I use it in the rain all the time provided there is no wind. The are adjustments at each end of the awning housing that control angle. Very easy to adjust and you can tweak it so water runs off the awning.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Mine is a 2017 with a Carefree brand.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We, too, have a Carefree brand - and ours is manual. What I've found is that, when fully extended, I don't feel comfortable using it in rain OR wind. But if I shorten it, it seems to do fine in both.

When I created our no-see-um surround for it (blog post), I positioned two sets of ties - one to affix in a fully-extended position and one for the more common shortened position that I expect to be using (because I don't have to worry about it if it's shortened).

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Banker hill. Which model do you have? I didn't know AS had stepped away from FIAMMA.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
2017 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour
Old 07-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
... I didn't know AS had stepped away from FIAMMA.
They may have no choice, at least for awhile. Fiamma was recently the target of a workplace violence incident which claimed 5 lives. And according to anecdotal reports on the internet, they were 5 lives who were key to running the U.S. operations. That's quite a set-back for the company, as well as being a human tragedy.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Awning use in the rain

I don't think any of the newer self-supporting awnings can be used in the rain. There is no way to change the angle of the awning with the support bars to let rain run off. Also they have automatic sensors that retract the awning with any wind.

BTW - Airstream stepped away from Fiamma long before the recent tragic shooting incident. It was likely an economic decision.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
As I suspected, Mike. Many thanks to you and all who responded.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
If no wind then yes I use my awning in the rain. The next sunny day I make sure and dry it out.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
If no wind then yes I use my awning in the rain. The next sunny day I make sure and dry it out.
You realize the OP was asking about an Interstate motor home, with an electric awning, and that one end of the awning cannot be lowered to shed rain and prevent pooling of water on top of the awning, as trailer awnings do?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Sulphur , Oklahoma
On our AS you just push a button and can adjust the tilt that way.
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
After collapsing an awning in a heavy rainstorm on my AS trailer a few years ago, I am very cautious about the Interstate automatic awning. That being said, I use it all the time in the rain, but I only extend it 1/3-1/2 of the way. This gives the door rain protection, and I don't get an ulcer. Remember , if you have to retract it wet, extend it and fully let it dry as soon as possible. Also, if retracted wet, it might shake itself loose a little when you drive and the extended awning warning buzzer might sound. If so, stop and extend it , check for debris on the awning, and retract. Don't drive with the warning buzzer sounding. It is possible for wind to catch the slightly extended awning and damage it
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Had mine out 1/2 way through a night of rain and couldn't get it closed all the way. Climbed up on the picnic to take a look and there were small sticks and a coat of pine needles from the surrounding trees. I didn't have a broom or mop so found a long stick and used a rag to push all the debris off. Was very worried about ripping the material.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Seems like I remember the awning on my early interstate was a sun shade only, not to be used in the rain.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One reason why I like my Fiamma F65s awning over the newer F65Eagle awning is that I can set it at any angle from nearly horizontal to about 45°— which is low enough for the door to scrape against the awning arms (and low enough that I have to duck my head to get under it) so I don't let it go quite that low. And I can set one end lower than the other so that rainwater runs off to the low end.

The variable angle not only helps repel rainwater, but lets me optimize afternoon shade if I get a campsite where the van faces south or east so that the curb side gets direct afternoon sun.

It did take some minor wind damage one time when a blue norther blew through unexpectedly and I was in the middle of putting the awning away when a gust hit. Rather than being blown over the top of the van, the awning was flattened against the curb side of the van. When the wind died down enough to physically push the awning away from the van, I was able to retract it. Ever since then, when I first extend it, before I deploy the legs, it droops at a greater angle than it used to. But it's still fully functional otherwise.