Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question Awning deploying by itself

Friend calls me that the AI has the awning partially extended... We keep the AI in their backyard...So this past weekend I went to get it, taking it for a nice long drive... a wash...thinking it was a random thing... and drove it back...

Today I get these two photos from our friends...

I keep with the red switch in the on position... first time (well, second) it has done this. Has anyone experience this with their AI? So I do not go blind into the troubleshooting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	329949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	329950  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Friend calls me that the AI has the awning partially extended... We keep the AI in their backyard...So this past weekend I went to get it, taking it for a nice long drive... a wash...thinking it was a random thing... and drove it back...

I keep with the red switch in the on position... first time (well, second) it has done this. Has anyone experience this with their AI? So I do not go blind into the troubleshooting?
WACHUKO - Check your Owner's Manual. You did not know TB Models come with NIWADs (Nice Weather Auto Deploy System)

I would bet it happened right after or during rain event? Remove this ultra-high-tech AS cable waterproofing device - red arrows (electrical tape) Don't ask how I know, don't ask how dealer fixed it after I complained, don't ask how I fixed it myself. OK, will tell you even though you know the process, heatshrink (double layer it) with end-collars & seal heatshrink onto end-collars for extra protection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181218_152854.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	329951   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181218_152826.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	329952  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Somewhere on the forums is a discussion that leads to the install of a POSITIVE acting on/off switch to totally cut off power to the awning electricals. This assures that a retracted awning stays retracted unless something physically or mechanically breaks. I'd suggest adding a cut-off switch to prevent this silliness.

That said, I'm super glad I don't have one of those "convenient" power-operated awnings on my rig...mine stay locked shut until I physically grab hold and open them. Electric awnings are on my "avoid at all costs" list...

We won't get into comments on that wonderful cable install and (NOT!) waterproofing job, either...as we say down South about folks that do stuff like that, "Bless their hearts..."
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Be glad the awning did not auto-deploy in the middle of a narrow tunnel!

You oughto add a manual on/off Rich-switch.

No separate 12v breaker for the awning?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
In the meantime to installing a switch, you've probably already thought of pulling the fuse that controls the awning. In ours it's the #10 under the drivers seat.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

You oughto add a manual on/off Rich-switch.

No separate 12v breaker for the awning?
OTRA15 - On my 2018 awning gets power from MB Terminal Block 2, Fused by F10/20A under driver's seat. However, Awning Extend Enable Relay is at Terminal 1, Fused by F12/10A. And 2nd however, the awning control lines (extend/retract) come from Firefly integrated controls which are powered via house batts
Old 12-19-2018, 02:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the clarification.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:28 AM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Thank you all!!!!! Will pull fuse for now while I get the time to do the proper “Alex-Fix”

Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #9

Orlando , Florida
Fuse removed!! Will tackle the fix over the weekend. Thank you all again!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5045.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	329978  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
You might also want to go to the GoWesty.com website shop, & get 2-4 of their 12" L Velcro Awning straps to keep it from popping out or deploying due to aeordynamics if not closed tight & airflow can get into the joint to push it out (also helps keep awning closed tight & waterproof in storms).

https://www.gowesty.com/product/awni...attle-strap?v=

We've used them on our non-power Fiamma F45 awing on our classic 1988 VW Westfalia camper, but apparently someone in the neighborhood also likes them & keeps stealing them. So get a few extra to keep in your camper van.

IIRC they used a Fiamma F45 on some or all of their Sprinter based Airstream camper vans.

Also, do put in the on-off switch mentioned above & keep it in off - or pull the fuse as you did - so you won't have a dead battery from the awning motor struggling to open the awning by whatever fluke or poor design is causing this.

I'm really surprised that Airstream can get away with this if it can deploy on the road, & surprised that they won't fix them properly.

Some of you affected owners should consider reporting this to NHTSA for a safety recall to force Airstream to fix this problem.

Happy Holidays!

Tom
////////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Hi wachuko,*

We are sorry to see that this is happening. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can help you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 12-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I saw one that had auto-deployed on IH-20 in the middle of Mississippi a few years back. Needless to say, it was not a pretty sight.

At that time, spontaneous deployment was rumored to be A Thing, but was not well-confirmed by evidence, which it later became, to the point where nobody doubts it any longer. I added my witnessing to the growing pile of reports.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Ours auto-deployed at 65mph on a two lane highway in the middle of (nowhere) Oregon back in July.

Prior to this, we had been struggling to get the awning fully closed and latched. We also were hearing the gears skipping at full extent and at fully closed. I even watched it auto-deploy in the driveway just as if someone were pressing the switch !! So yes, pull the fuse.

Not understanding how these things worked, we could not wait for weeks to get service so we headed for Maine... and then it happened. I found out these awnings are under high tension wanting to be deployed. The latches hold it in. The motor and gears are perhaps not designed to hold things back if the latches are not fully engaged. More than one person has reported a RAPID release in the driveway. So yes, use a strap.

I don't know if ours slowly deployed like I had seen with my own eyes once before, or if it rapid deployed like I've read about. I suspect rapid deployment because without warning I felt what I can only describe as a 100mph side gust of wind as the awning flipped up and became a sail. I barely held control and may have crossed the center line a little. Could have been a death event.

Insurance paid for a replacement, so we have a new Fiamma awning (sigh) but I never travel without a strap. Here's another source for velcro cinch straps. Lots of different lengths, colors, multi-pack pricing, etc.
https://www.computercablestore.com/s...q=velcro+cinch
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Somewhere on the forums is a discussion that leads to the install of a POSITIVE acting on/off switch to totally cut off power to the awning electricals. This assures that a retracted awning stays retracted unless something physically or mechanically breaks. I'd suggest adding a cut-off switch to prevent this silliness.

That said, I'm super glad I don't have one of those "convenient" power-operated awnings on my rig...mine stay locked shut until I physically grab hold and open them. Electric awnings are on my "avoid at all costs" list...

We won't get into comments on that wonderful cable install and (NOT!) waterproofing job, either...as we say down South about folks that do stuff like that, "Bless their hearts..."
On the 2017 Classics and others I presume, with the power awnings, the power shuts off automatically when the trailer is in motion.
I wonder why this feature is missing of the Interstates.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
On the 2017 Classics and others I presume, with the power awnings, the power shuts off automatically when the trailer is in motion.
I see the Classic trailer power awning is "locked" the first time the tow vehicle brakes are applied. Seems that would be easy to implement on Firefly Interstates by sensing any number of signals from the chassis. It could easily be locked anytime the parking brake is not applied.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
JOHN, FRANKLYFRANK - I can not speak for all MY Interstates, but on my 2018 with Firefly controls, safety features are implemented. Everyone should check their schemas to determine how theirs is wired up for diff MY.

1. Engine off, House batts disconnected - awning totally disabled
2. Engine on, House batts disconnected - awning totally disabled
3. Engine off, House batts connected - awning extends & retracts fully
4. Engine on, House batts connected - awning will not extend, it will only retract.

If it is already extended, you could potentially end up driving with it extended until seismic sensors retract it. If it was only slightly extended, the seismic sensors may not trigger a retract even while driving. This is no different than a manual awning. All the sensors in the world can not fix stupidity.

There is an 'Awning Extend Enable' relay. It's sole function is to break open the Firefly 'Extend Awning' control line to the Awning Control Module if/when the MB 'Engine Running' sense line (D+ White/red) goes high. The MB 'Engine Running' sense line is the same line that tells the power step by the sliding door to retract and turns on the obnoxious buzzer for awning/powerstep when engine is turned on. It is not responsible for retracting the awning. It is protected by Terminal 1 Fuse 12/10A.

The 'Retract Awning' control line is always functional, nothing breaks it's continuity from Firefly controls to Awning Control Module, provided Firefly is powered on.

FYI - if you remove Terminal 1 Fuse 12/10A to disable the warning buzzer and allow the powerstep to remain extended with engine running - you will also disable a critical safety feature that prevents the awning from being "commanded" to extend (whether it be intentional or accidental). I gladly put up with the powerstep/buzzer inconvenience than someone accidentally pressing the wrong little button on Firefly thinking they hit the light switch while doing 70mph.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:08 AM   #17

Orlando , Florida
Added this to the list... dropping off the AI today for warranty service.
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:

Just forget all that funky wiring and electrical stuff and come to grips with the fact that your Interstate is haunted by a poltergeist. Go find an exorcist and all your worries wil be over.

See, problem solved! You can send me your check for my diagnostic services at your liesure.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #19

Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Just forget all that funky wiring and electrical stuff and come to grips with the fact that your Interstate is haunted by a poltergeist. Go find an exorcist and all your worries wil be over.

See, problem solved! You can send me your check for my diagnostic services at your leisure.
And here I thought it was related to Erectile dysfunction (ED)

Tell you what, I will donate the payment to the local church? How is that?
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #20

Orlando , Florida
Alex, you will happy to know that the dealer fixed it correctly. Each wire with a heat shrinking cover and then all of the wires with another heat shrinking cover and some silicone sealer on the tips. Very nicely done.
WBCCI #26769