Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
And the process of leveling have not stressed your marriage? Or during a raining day wished you had a more automated system ?

I am not paying 7K to have this installed... I was okay with 2,539.00 (which is what Alan ended quoting me on it with a 10% discount and including the clamp-on brackets) and me doing the install, for the ease of tackling both issues. His system was great as it did not involved hydraulic hoses, pumps, etc.

Looks like this will be another project to put on hold for now... bit of a bummer as this was the perfect window to get it done without my wife questioning the expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There are two independent issues.

Leveling: We use about $50 worth of Valterra stackers for leveling, which is frequently required. We store most of them under the chassis (blog post). Positioning them does not seem to be that much of a hassle.

Stabilizing: Personally, I simply got used to it. Yes, the van wobbles while parked. I don't find it to be that bad; in fact, in some ways, it represents useful feedback to me. When the dog wakes up in the middle of the night and spins in circles to reposition herself, I can feel the van shake. I am reminded without having to open my eyes that the dog is still in the van (good confirmation, as I often sleep with a door open). When a weather system is approaching, the wind will shake the van slightly. It's my cue to batten down the hatches; I don't even have to look out the windows to learn what's happening. Etc.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #22

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

And thank your for your link to the blog. I have two projects pending... well, three...

Storage for those leveling blocks (which you just gave me the idea)
Storage for the grill (which I believe was also your idea)
Install of air tank for air compressor

Plenty of space (figuratively speaking of course) in the front under carriage, behind side steps, for all this.
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I was trying to figure out what to store in the large space in the engine compartment where an auxiliary battery is sometimes installed. It needs to be something that wouldn't be damaged by heat, road spray, dirt and grime, etc. I had thought about putting a ammo box there to keep things in. Instead, the leveling blocks seem to be an ideal candidate for that space. We seldom use them, and having to pop the hood to get to them is easier than digging far back into the under-bed storage space.

Nighttime wobbles don't bother me either. I notice the mattress shift when wife crawls out more than I notice the van sway when she walks to/from the bed.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #24

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I was trying to figure out what to store in the large space in the engine compartment where an auxiliary battery is sometimes installed. It needs to be something that wouldn't be damaged by heat, road spray, dirt and grime, etc. I had thought about putting a ammo box there to keep things in. Instead, the leveling blocks seem to be an ideal candidate for that space. We seldom use them, and having to pop the hood to get to them is easier than digging far back into the under-bed storage space.

Nighttime wobbles don't bother me either. I notice the mattress shift when wife crawls out more than I notice the van sway when she walks to/from the bed.
Those leveling blocks take so much space that finding a places outside would free up precious cargo area. I have an air compressor where the battery area would be... but you bring a good point... maybe something else can go in there as well...

And a photo of the space under it... you can see the driver side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	302150  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
And the process of leveling have not stressed your marriage?
No more than any other aspect of Interstate ownership and operatorship. And far less than certain aspects in particular. But it's probably not a good idea to get too far into that topic.

Sure, I'd enjoy a more advanced leveling system. But it comes down to a question of, where would I want to spend $2,500 (+/-) the most? We've done so much to our rig that the main things I want right now are:

(1) air suspension
(2) a much-improved telescoping directional cellular antenna base unit
(3) the horrendously expensive 3M Crystalline window tint

So, the leveling stuff doesn't make my short list.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #26

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
No more than any other aspect of Interstate ownership and operatorship. And far less than certain aspects in particular. But it's probably not a good idea to get too far into that topic.

Sure, I'd enjoy a more advanced leveling system. But it comes down to a question of, where would I want to spend $2,500 (+/-) the most? We've done so much to our rig that the main things I want right now are:

(1) air suspension
(2) a much-improved telescoping directional cellular antenna base unit
(3) the horrendously expensive 3M Crystalline window tint

So, the leveling stuff doesn't make my short list.
I was joking, I hope it came across as such I told my wife that it was a modification/option to avoid stressing our marriage
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I was joking, I hope it came across as such I told my wife that it was a modification/option to avoid stressing our marriage
All humor is rooted in truth - that's precisely what makes it funny. You might find significant and genuine marital conflicts manifesting within the context of your Interstate - don't be surprised if they surface. It represents such a big departure from regularly-scheduled programming (i.e., lifestyle) that expectations are bound to clash somewhere along the line.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I guess I've finally found the silver lining to the extremely harsh ride in the back of our 2011 non-ext coach with leaf springs...it doesn't sway much when parked!��
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I have not noticed this problem (shaking) at all. And I used to have a boat so I know the feeling. We do have dual bunk beds though. Does that make a difference?

We can sleep without the van being level. I just stuff some towels under one side of the bed to level it "internally." I also make sure the van is sloping down in the other direction.

Does OP have air suspension which causes it to be more susceptible to this problem?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Another option is the E&P leveler system from Europe. Advance RV in Ohio will install them and they integrate with the VB Airsuspension if you have it.

https://advanced-rv.com/

Here is a video from Advanced RV with some details:

Thank you for posting this video

Those two guys did a nice job quite frankly.

Believable and informative.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #31

Orlando , Florida
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I have not noticed this problem (shaking) at all. And I used to have a boat so I know the feeling. We do have dual bunk beds though. Does that make a difference?

We can sleep without the van being level. I just stuff some towels under one side of the bed to level it "internally." I also make sure the van is sloping down in the other direction.

Does OP have air suspension which causes it to be more susceptible to this problem?
The leveling, in addition to being able to walk and sleep better, it is so that the tanks are at the correct level for working properly, and stuff does not slide off the counter top, and...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #32

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post

Not sure if you saw my post. Got the quote from them. Getting their system and install: In a 2-wheel driver MB Sprinter is $6824. It is $7491 for a 4-wheel drive.
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post

There is even a more cool video from FitRV guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uxZBAk1suEM
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Not sure if you saw my post. Got the quote from them. Getting their system and install: In a 2-wheel driver MB Sprinter is $6824. It is $7491 for a 4-wheel drive.

🥃 Gulp!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Avoiding sea sickness - leveling system

Heh, the pictured glass is neither half full nor half empty. It’s just too big.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Avoiding sea sickness - leveling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Heh, the pictured glass is neither half full nor half empty. It’s just too big.

Yah mon!

After seeing the Advanced RV video, I’m thinking “hey, that’s pretty cool and perhaps useful too.”

But the $7k pricing seems a bit steep in my value add equation - but for some, like FitRV, I completely understand the value this brings to his life. Seems this is something he is obsessed over at each camp stop. And this system eliminates a substantial amount of time and energy spent on obtaining the perfect “level.”

Slick design with multiple uses.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Having a non-compressor refrigerator, it is touchy on level. Along with having the shower drain right.
Of course leveling blocks are incredibly cheaper
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
I don't have a. Sprinter or such, just a tin can, but in reading these posts it appears to me you have sir suspension in you vans. My thought would be , leveling blocks for level, (we all use them, lot cheaper and good for stretching the back after a long day on the road) and possible install of a "dump valve" . In effect , when parked, engage the valve, dash control, air leaves the system bringing the coach to hard contact. No sea sick movement. Engage valve, your onboard compressor fills up the bags, off you go. Worksin big trucks, why not a sprinter?
Good luck. Rick
Offack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The FitRV video is pretty neat, but remember, James and Stef are operating under a series of representation agreements (and, as I understand it from emailing with Stef, are actively seeking appropriate additional "product ambassador" opportunities). They are steadily working to develop their niche gig as a business (and have made impressive strides). Presumably, that whole approach comes with income and tax advantages that don't apply to the ordinary Class B owner. So, sure, they'll put on a system that might cost the next person seven or eight grand. Their cost-benefit analysis in doing so is probably unique.

It concerns me a little bit that the leveling system is apparently interlinked with the air suspension. In the event of a leveling component failure, how is the VB affected? That's a question I'd want answered before considering the leveling product further.

I'm thinking specifically of retread and similar debris collisions on the highway. While those levelers are, indeed, at least as high or higher than the wheel axles (as James noted in the vid), their configuration has the potential to serve as a damage amplifier because debris could get hooked on those leading edges, and/or wrapped around them rather than just bouncing off, as is the case with most components under the chassis that don't have protrusions. That's a topic that hasn't really come up on Air Forums, but a while back I received an email from an Interstate owner whose collision with a strip of retread rubber ripped off his sideways-mounted exhaust run section. That kind of thing does happen from time to time.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
The FitRV video is pretty neat, but remember, James and Stef are operating under a series of representation agreements (and, as I understand it from emailing with Stef, are actively seeking appropriate additional "product ambassador" opportunities). They are steadily working to develop their niche gig as a business (and have made impressive strides). Presumably, that whole approach comes with income and tax advantages that don't apply to the ordinary Class B owner. So, sure, they'll put on a system that might cost the next person seven or eight grand. Their cost-benefit analysis in doing so is probably unique.

It concerns me a little bit that the leveling system is apparently interlinked with the air suspension. In the event of a leveling component failure, how is the VB affected? That's a question I'd want answered before considering the leveling product further.

I'm thinking specifically of retread and similar debris collisions on the highway. While those levelers are, indeed, at least as high or higher than the wheel axles (as James noted in the vid), their configuration has the potential to serve as a damage amplifier because debris could get hooked on those leading edges, and/or wrapped around them rather than just bouncing off, as is the case with most components under the chassis that don't have protrusions. That's a topic that hasn't really come up on Air Forums, but a while back I received an email from an Interstate owner whose collision with a strip of retread rubber ripped off his sideways-mounted exhaust run section. That kind of thing does happen from time to time.

Do the FitRv folks offer a disclaimer indicating they are being compensated in some form? Transparency and credibility go hand-in-hand. Otherwise it’s just another “info commercial.”

I always thought Jason and Nikki from “Gone with the Wins” tried to be upfront when they were being compensated.

Road Debris

Once while following traffic at 60 mph, I experienced a drive shaft slide out the bed of a truck which I was following. It all happened so fast and ripped through the undercarriage of the van. Impossible to avoid, and a lost generator along with other damage.