Old 09-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Carrollton , Texas
Avenue Class B Van House battery problems

I am a newbie and battery-knowledge-handicapped. I have a used Airstream Avenue B (Class B van), year 2011 built on a Chevy 3500 body. I don't know how to properly charge the house batteries, short of starting the engine and driving for 1 hour with the house battery dial/switch turned on! I am never really sure when to flip the inverter switch to "on or off" during the various scenarios of use: when I am going down the road trying to charge the house battery, when I am parked at home plugged in or parked at home not plugged in, or parked at a park with 30 amp service. Help! Also when I am plugged in to my garage to get the frig going, since my house battery is always low, that is not 30 amp service, just what is coming from a regular outdoor outlet. Please advise what to do.Please tell me how to get the house battery fully charged and keep it charged so I can use the van without being plugged in for minor things, like loading and unloading, getting the frig to get cold the morning I am loading to take off for a trip. I can't figure out what is draining that house battery when it is parked. I though I have everything turned off (house battery off, all light switches off, and inverter off) (usually goes 3-4 weeks between use).
Thanks!
TexasGal

Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, TexasGal! The Avenue is something we all probably know a bit less about - I didn't even know there was such a thing until I spotted one on the road near my house a few months ago (URL here for those who are not familiar with it... Air Forums is having itself a cranky Monday morning right now and will not allow photo attachments).

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

A few questions might help get your issues constrained:

-- One or two house batteries?

-- Do you have a digital battery monitor or a generic red/green bar indicator of the type Airstream typically installs?

-- Have you changed out the battery(ies) since buying your Avenue? Do you know anything of their history? Age? How the previous owners stored the vehicle?

-- Can you access the battery to examine it? Whenever I hear allegations of "my house battery is always low", the first thing I wonder about is possible damage due to historical mis-use. You can see from a few other threads on here that we talk about battery "bulging". You will want to check and see if that is the case with yours. Or even if it is a Lifeline battery to start with. We bought a used Airstream Interstate and we faced this issue at the point of sale. Our seller wanted to change out our previous-owner-damaged coach battery for us and put in something cheaper than a Lifeline. We said no and negotiated for a Lifeline. If the wrong battery got put in your Avenue prior to the sale to you, it could be an issue.

The general logic in a situation like this is, first establish that the battery itself is OK. Then once you have confirmed that you are working with viable equipment, move on to troubleshoot procedural factors of the situation.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
First things first: did you consult the manual? In fact did you get a manual with the vehicle? If you didn't, it can be downloaded here:
http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...nue-manual.pdf
Suggest you flick through it, especially the electrics section, and see if it makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Carrollton , Texas
Thanks for quick response on house batteries

Thanks to Interblog and UKDude for their quick responses to my house battery problem. I did use the online manual link given by UKDUDE and found out that I needed to have charged the house batteries often and at least 1-2 days before using. So I got an adapter for connecting to my house garage outlet. BTW there are 2 batteries housed in an exterior access panel on the side of the van. I also have a digital panel on the left inside upper wall above the back sofa that gives me a variety of readings. And it allows me to change the type of service from 30 to 20 amp, which I did when I plugged it into my house/garage current. I am happy to say the panel gives me the correct reading for the main battery and for the house auxiliary batteries now that I have had it charging correctly for two days. Geesh. nothing like doing a little reading on the subject to fix a problem!!!! By the way, this rig is really stunning, with off-white all leather interior and the shiny, off white laminate cabinets.....makes a gal feel really "purty"! Thanks for all your help!!! I am off to the regional rally in Canton, TX tomorrow for about 5 days with my dog Pepe and with the rest of my RV group, the Texas North Star Sams. Happy sailing, ya'll! From Bess Amaral aka TexasGal
Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Glad you are on the road! You have a unique and reliable camper.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I'm glad you're happy too! Come back to the forum whenever.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums